Dragon Quest, More Final Fantasies, and other SE cell phone games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Suzuku, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Suzuku

Suzuku Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Do you think if FFI and II sale well Square Enix will think about porting some Dragon Quest games and FF games to the App Store? They could even bring over DQIX since it was released on the DS and they could port FF all the way up to at least FFVIII if not IX as well. And there are two cell phone games that Squeenix has yet to release in the west that I think would be perfect ports to the iPhone, Before Crisis: FFVII and the recently finished Kingdom Hearts: coded.

So what do you think? I hope it happens.

2. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    Lol they won't port DQ especially from ds. The idevices can't handle it , FF1 and 2 arn't that good. Look at the graphics compared to FF3/4 for ds

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #3 squarezero, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    Once and for all: iPhones and iPod Touches (of all stripes) are far more powerful than the DSi. From Wikipedia:
    We've seen plenty of DS ports already on the iPlatform, all of which have had enhanced graphics and content.

The FF1 and FF2 that are being brought to the iPhone are PSP ports, by the way, and have never been released on the DS.

That's not to say that we will be seeing ports of DQ IV, V, or VI on the iDevice. According to GDSage (who seems to know his stuff), the creative team behind DQ seems to have no interest on the iPhone.

Whether any game comes from the DS to the iDevice is a matter of will and economics. It has nothing to do with technical capabilities.

4. The Dangertron

Sep 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I'd love to see the original Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior U.S.) ported to the iDevices. That game has so much sentimental value to me.

5. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    #5 zztfox, Feb 20, 2010
  6. DemonIced

DemonIced Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Before Crisis : FF VII would be a great great idea, since we haven't had the chance to enjoy it in english, I think the iPhone/iPod touch would be the best peripheral to port that game.

Perhaps this is the new unknown Square-Enix project... :confused:

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    If this is true, then that would be a major FF title for the iPhone.

8. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I'd like to see a Dragon Warrior/Quest monsters title, sort of an epic Epic Pet Wars

9. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I don't understand why they waste their time releasing games like FF1 and FF2 when they'd make far more money re-releasing FF6, 7, 8 or 9. The problem with FF1-3 is that they have extremely weak plot and character development, as well as a pretty basic stat/combat system compared to any of the later titles or even to FF4.

In fact, Tactics would probably be the game best suited to the iPhone, and porting it shouldn't be a big deal given the history of PSP ports on the iPhone.

10. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #10 GDSage, Feb 20, 2010
    It's that but also...

1) Dragon Quest games are sold for a premium in Japan, far above the RRP. DQIX for example is sold at the equivalent of $65, more than half of which SE takes back. The games still sell millions (DQIX is over four million sold) so there is absolutely no incentive to port on a device that offers less. Not to mention the budget version of DQIX is out in a month for the DS.

2) Horii (the creator of DQ) has no intention of porting main DQ titles. He has stated for years now the only time you will see another return to a past DQ is through a substantial remake of it, and we're not talking about better graphics but (in his words) something substantial enough which validates that remake for existing. So no ports.

3) Any further remakes are going to the Nintendo line. DS is dominant (30 million and growing in Japan), DQ games on it are more popular than they have ever been... no doubt this will carry favour with the successor of the DS. DQVI remake has just released for the DS, expect DQVII remake (and DQVIII) for the DS successor.

4) The Japanese games market does not care for digital distribution. It is considerably out of sync with the rest of the world, same with their attitude towards online gaming (the Japan market prefers local play, which is why Monster Hunter is such a hit having sold near four million). When the retail market is so heavily preferred by the vast majority, what incentive is there for SE in going the DD route in Japan?

5) DQ titles have always gone to the leading system. Horii doesn't commit until it is known such and such a system is going to have the largest install base. No chance of that happening for the iPhone in Japan.

The only chance of main DQ titles going elsewhere is for DQ I - III, only because Horii has never really expressed much interest for those titles. Like with FFI - II the company doesn't really care where those titles end up. Those titles are the village bike, basically.

11. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Nice to see intelligent members of this forum making good, thought out posts. :)

12. bmn0210

Feb 13, 2010
    Simple. They make more from sales in the US than from Japanese sales.

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It is not that simple at all. How do you know they would make enough? Don't forget this is the premier IP for SE, they are not going to want to sell it for a measly $10.

Also, Nintendo is co-publishing DQIX in the West, with Nintendo president Iwata stating it is his intent to make DQ popular.

14. bmn0210

Feb 13, 2010
    Nobody is forcing them to sell it for $10. My point is that the potential market is there, and definitely large enough. They'd definitely have to experiment with prices, though, and I expect FF1&2 are part of that test, although like I said they'd have been better off choosing different games. The FFT series would be ideal for the iPhone, admittedly FFTA1 and A2 are probably out of the question because of Nintendo, but the original FFT should be no problem.

Yes, this is probably the main issue. I somehow think Nintendo's no more likely to let their (developed or contracted) games end up on the iPhone than Microsoft is.

15. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I would personally love the original on the iPhone, I only had the chance to play FFA1 extensively (although I did get to play the original once at a friend's house). Song Summoner just didn't do it for me.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    For what it's worth, I just picked up DQ4 for the DS for $20.00 new. Seems to me that once a game hits bargain pricing on the "premiere" platforms, the chances of a iPhone port (which would be relatively easy, since the graphics has already been updated) become slightly better.

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #17 GDSage, Feb 20, 2010
    DQIV for DS has been out for a year and a half now, plus for whatever dicount you got DQIV for, that was on the retailers end. SE got their payment when that copy first shipped. So that has no bearing with that 'logic' with regards to iPhone ports.

18. hiptanaka

hiptanaka Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Wasn't there a rumor last September that Square Enix was making a Kingdom Hearts game exclusively for iPhone 3GS / 3rd Gen Ipod Touches?

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If KH goes to the App store, it will be a port of Kingdom Hearts Coded which is for cellphones.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That makes sense. Then again, if a retailer can sell a new copy for $20.00, wholesale price is probably around $15.00. Add packaging and shipping costs, the price is not too far off the $7.00 ($10 - Apple's cut) that it could fetch on the App Store (for a port that would involve far lower production costs than the original DS upgrade). Again, I'm not saying that I'm expecting it to happen; my point is that it is economically feasable. (I'm getting a feeling of deja vu from this exchange ;))