Cognition - Thesis game by NYU Game Center students

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by duckizz, Mar 28, 2016.

1. duckizz

duckizz Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    #1 duckizz, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Hey all!

We are excited to have been interviewed by Toucharcade at GDC 2016 this year and for their great feedback! You can see the video here

A little bit about ourselves, we are a group of 5 final year MFA students at NYU Game Center and we have been working on this game coming to a year and this is for our thesis which we are completing in May 2016! Prior to this, we actually had 3 other version of the game before settling on this iteration which we are now working on polishing and making sure we are of releasable standard in Fall this year. We also managed to engage Pendleton Ward (Adventure Time), Ken Wong (Monument Valley) and Matt Parker (NYU Game Center) to be external advisors and they have provided us with valuable feedback and suggestions.

We will be updating our blog here and you can follow me on twitter @duckizz as we update the blog and this thread on any updates and our eventual release.

Feel free to give us comments and feedback and thanks for reading this post!

[​IMG]

2. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    #screenshotsaturday

[​IMG]

Hey everyone! Quick update here for screenshotsaturday! After playtesting, we decided that upon dying, restarting the level is not fun for the player, so we implemented a REWIND feature! So when the player has died, the feature will kick in (complete with VCR shader effect and sound!) and rewind the game back a few seconds so players can try again!

3. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    that's a very good idea actually ! The game looks much funny like that

4. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

This game looks amazing! Congras!

5. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    thanks! it also fits the new theme we are going for, which is building/fixing clocks :)

6. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    thanks! :)

7. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    ScreenshotSaturday April 16 2016

[​IMG]

Added a cuckoo bird effect for when you have reached the end while rotating a gear! This is to align with our new theme, which is about the world of a clock maker!

8. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    Screenshot Saturday April 23 2016

As we are nearing the end of our thesis, here are some screenshots showing the updating we have done in terms of visual assets and game feel!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    #9 Lavender, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    This looks like it's going to be an incredible and wacky fun sort of game with some sneaky cognitive brain work included. I am excited!!! :)

10. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    thanks! Yea we are excited to share it with the world as well!

11. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    P.s. If I must.... I'll beta test it for you all. I mean... It would be a burden... But I would do it... He he. LOL.

12. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    when we are ready we will let you know :)

13. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
  14. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    Indiecade East + new Title animation!

so we showed at Indiecade East this weekend and had great responses. Some people commented "OMG where can I get this and I need it in my life now" which were awesome to hear! We are close to the end of the semester and we are now aiming for a final presentation soon and also incubator pitch to see if we can get a spot in it and continue working on it for a little longer.

Meanwhile, I created this little animation for our title screen. Hoping to see if you all have comments on it, good, bad, suggestions on how to improve? Thanks!

[​IMG]

15. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    Meet our team!

[​IMG]

so we dressed up for our school's incubator presentation last friday! Cross fingers and hope we will get in which will help us fulfill our mission to release a polished and well rounded game by Fall this year! :)

16. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Looks fabulous. I can't wait.

17. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    thanks! :)

18. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    End of Year Show + Incubator!

Cognition had a great time showing at the end of year show! Our 4 iPads were constantly being played and we had a line to play our game. Our profs were very impressed and so were the various guests. Also in other news, we have been accepted into the NYU Game Center Incubator! That means we get to work on our game for 3 more months, forming a company and a whole lot of other stuff in preparation for our big launch at the end of Incubator (some time in September). We are very fortunate and humbled by the Incubator selection committee's decision and are very excited for the few months to come!

follow us on @cognitiongame

[​IMG]

19. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    Playcrafting Demo & Play

Hey all! COGNITION will be showing at the Playcrafting event tomorrow at Microsoft building in NYC! If you are coming, say hi to the team and get some swag :)

Event details are here

20. duckizz

Mar 28, 2016
    New York
    We got accepted to NYU Game Center Incubator 2016!

Great news! We have been selected and accepted into the school's Incubator program! That means we will have 3 more months and access to industry experts to help us make our dream come true and help the game be in the best state when we release. For more information about the games that have been selected, you can view it here

We will continue to update this thread as we go closer to our targeted release date of September 2016!