Game and Developer Conferences?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arn, Jan 4, 2009.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
  2. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

We're participating in IGF Mobile, so if our budget allows, GDC is definitely in the plans.

3. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, if Smiles gets a nod at IGF Mobile, I'll be there for the exhibit. ;)

Other than that, GDC and E3 are primarily networking events (and expensive training/marketing events). I'm not really looking for someone else's money to fund my projects, as the iPhone/current gaming market is an interesting beast. The same money I could be spending on networking events could be better spent as 1-2 months of development time on a project.

IGF is a special case, along with the other GDC ceremonies. It's our industries equivalent of winning an Oscar or Academy Award. That's the kind of bragging rights we all want. Even a nomination is a big deal. :D

4. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    same here, I really wish 1112 will have some exposure in the IGF! (we are lucky to be the first on the alphabetical list , maybe it will help;)!

5. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, no fair! It's almost like you named your game such that you'd be ahead of all the 1 named apps. ;)

Looks good though. :D

6. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Yeah, we were lucky to pick the name 'Zen Bound' for the exact opposite reason :p

7. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
    been there before?

We were thinking of going to GDC, sounds like an interesting event but the schedule does look a bit overwhelming.

Anybody here been to one of these before? Any advice for newbie conference-goers?

8. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    They all sounds interesting, but some would be too short of a notice for me.

I'll look into some other ones later in the year though.

9. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    we'll probably send blake at least. I may try to go too.

arn

10. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    I've not been to GDC yet, but I was at E3 back in 2004 (year of the DS and PSP, Katamari). I didn't work for myself then, so it was mostly a swag hunt. ;)

If you're there for the expo or conference, you just show up. Any talk involving Will Wright, you camp it early if you want to see it in person.

Alternatively, you can save yourself some money by buying MP3 recordings of talks for a several bucks each after the conference.

http://www.gdcradio.net

If you're there for biz, come prepared. Leave yourself a good hour or so between your scheduled meetings, in case they go long or you get lost. Also, be sure to have business cards and a pen. :)

Not sure if GDC is the same as E3 was, but PICK UP YOUR PASS EARLY! Conference/Expo days are a zoo, so come by a day or two before opening day and be ready with your pass. You might also have to wait in line for a baggage check each day. So if you can function without carrying a bag (laptop), you might be able to sneak in faster. :p

11. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Can't speak much for going to the seminars, because I've always only been there for biz.

Basically, a few weeks before the conference, you set up meetings with all the publishers, distributors (and other contacts you'd like to do business with) you possibly can, and you prepare your best stuff for a quick 5-15 minute pitch.

The conference is also excellent because you bump into interesting people by accident and can set up ad-hoc meetings, so leave some space in your calendar if you can.

Then during the week you zip from meeting to meeting, act convincing and collect a stack of business cards.

Also, bring a good liver: you'll want to participate in the big parties in the evenings, and finding tickets to those is an art form on its own. But those parties are excellent for finding new contacts.

After the conference you spend a week or two following up on all the possible business leads, and learn that about 90% of them won't happen despite the positive vibes from the meeting.

The 10% that has a chance of really happening will take about six months till you have a signed contract. (That's for publishing deals, distribution deals are quicker.)

12. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
    what about WWDC?

Thanks Frand, there is nothing like info from the "been there done that" vetarans.. Any idea about how does WWDC compare to GDC in terms of coverage by the gaming community, indie game developers etc?

13. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Frankly, I don't expect anything to compare to GDC :)

WWDC might pick up some steam now that iPhone is as popular as it is, but it hasn't been a game industry favourite by any means. Macs and gaming haven't really gone together.

14. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    #14 aghartastudio, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    funny fact, The creator of the GDC are based in France in my city(LYON), I just had a meeting with them this morning, they explained me the pro's of gathering some cash to go there...

We'll definitely try to be there in march!

Edit : They organize the "game connection" and not the GDC my bad... (it happen at the same time and same place anyway)

15. kshep

kshep Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Sep 15, 2008
    We are going to the 360|iDev conference March 2-4 in San Jose. We'll also be at WWDC in June.

Anyone else from this forum going to iDev?

-Keith

16. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada