Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 HD - By Fishlabs

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 12, 2011.

1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    The problem is that they couldn't get the game to run at a decent framerate with AA on WITH A5 devices, which is why that option isn't in the game.

When they refine the engine and what not, we probably will see visual improvements, kinda like what they did with GoF2.

2. Fox450

Fox450 New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    #102 Fox450, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    I understand, but just for the graphics buffs, who don't care trading fps for improved visuals. Despite it not being able to run at a decent framerate. I have seen that option on another game for A5/IOS5 of which i cannot remember its name, but pointless to add an option for enabling AA if turning it off does not increase fps, yet improves visuals. I'm sure the developers have a valid reason though, for not adding it in or via a menu option... I shall wait patiently for them to refine their engine and/or implement AA :) Thanks for answering and thumbs up for an otherwise GREAT game/sim!

3. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    They would do themselves a favor by just implementing AA when your on board a station, that is relatively static (so fps shouldn't be an issue) and looks godawful , the rest when your in space isn't so bad because it is in motion. Oh well played some today for about 2 hours and had fun, it is a great game and the visuals are nice despite the jaggies, crawling textures and white lines. I have no problems giving this dev money for any game they put out. Plus I would never be an ass and rate this game low for the aliasing that's a hardware limitation not their fault.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    After watching the latest gameplay videos on YouTube and having a go with the less graphic intense / updated Lite version, I jumped the gun and purchased the HD version for my iPad 2.
    Now, I noticed that the lack of FSAA was also present in the Lite version. To be honest... it didn't bother me that much.

Maybe the upgraded visuals make the lack of FSAA stand out more? Anyway, that question remains unanswered, because I didn't get time to play it yesterday or even launch it.
    In about 8 hours, when my workday ends I'll be able to see (and believe) for myself. To be honest, the "complaints" on how bad the lack of FSAA is put me off a great deal wanting to purchase the game at first.

One thing is clearly evident: the visuals are MUCH better compared to the Lite demo I saw/tried when I watched the latest trailer and gameplay footage from the HD version.
    It puzzles me greatly that some here dare say there is virtually no visual difference between the two versions. I am very excited to launch it up in real time for the first time in a couple of hours.
    My findings regarding how bad the lack of FSAA truly is, will be reported back here. I am sure that there are more on the bandwagen having trouble making a choice whether to buy this game yes or no due to these notions. ;)

5. Taytay

Taytay Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    #105 Taytay, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    Its kinda silly sometimes when you go to a space lounge & they ask you for a certain item thats already being sold in the hanger for way cheaper ,its like me standing right outside the store asking you for 2 bag of chips & i will pay you 10$ when i can just go inside the store myself and pay 1$. I guess it gives you a quick easy way to make money but its still very silly when i run into those missions

6. TobiasP

TobiasP Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Online Editor @ Fishlabs
    Hamburg / Germany
    As for the absence of Anti-Aliasing, our developers are already looking into this. They can't promise anything, but if there's any way of adding Anti-Aliasing and still keeping the frame rate up, there might be an update that will add this feature soon.

As for the "silly" missions mentioned by Taytay, I gotta admit that I always have a wide grin on my face whenever an unknowing alien thinks he makes the deal of his lifetime by offering me tens of thousands of credits for an item, that I can buy in the hangar for a few hundred bucks. Guess we just gotta accept the fact that not all inhabitants of the galaxy are particularly clever... ;)

7. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Is the Valkyrie HD add-on going to be free for those who already own the full HD version of Galaxy On Fire 2? I just decided to buy this yesterday to play on my ipone 4s, and it looks great so far (haven't had a chance to get that far into it yet though). I figured 10 bucks was a good deal for the HD version, especially if it will have Valkyrie down the road. If not, at least I get to enjoy this version in HD. But I will keep my fingers crossed for Valkyrie.

8. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I wasn't quite finished reading this thread when I made the post above. Just to clarify: is Valkyrie HD potentially going to be offered free to those who purchased the original SD version of GOF2, OR free to those who had already brought the original GOF 2 Valkyrie add-on? I got a little lost at what was posted to that regard. Thanks.

9. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Grizzly they said earlier they were going to offer it for free to those who had it already, but they were still in the process of figuring out how to do that.

10. RayZZoo

RayZZoo Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    It seems that the addon in HD will be free for people who have already bought the addon in SD.

11. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    It would be cool if you could swipe to see the original GOF2 graphics like you can in some other games.

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    So I played a few hours. And yes... the aliasing is more evident. Probably because of the vastly improved details of the textures.
    At times, my iPad 2 struggles a little bit in some scenes, so I understand that FSAA wouldn't exactly make things better FPS wise.
    Like the majority here, I do hope the HD version gets optimized and matured further to make FSAA a realistic possibility. The already gorgeous graphics deserve it.
    Personally, I can live with it and the improvements graphicwise make the game totally worth the purchase. It truly is the benchmark in iOS sci-fi games on the app store. Very impressive indeed. :)

13. eloquent

eloquent Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I wanted to use the savegame of my old gof 2 which i saved in opengeint.... But why cant i load it in gof2 hd?? I dont wanna play the whole game again

14. #114 CraigOZ, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    Why should we have to purchase HD

So after discussing the HD version with others on the FishLab forum I am now reconsidering the HD version and looking at the available info on the web.

Does anyone know if there are plans for a lite version so I can try it out?

Thanks
    Craig

15. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    No one is scamming anyone here. A significant amount of man-hours and money would have been invested in creating the full HD version, there is no reason you should be entitled to it for free.

Besides, this happens all the time. How many times have Nintendo released the same Mario/Zelda (or Sega with Sonic) games each time a new console or handheld is released - and no, not the completely new games, think Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS.

You're well within your rights to not buy this new version, and if you feel this way then it is the correct course of action to take ;) But no need to throw a tantrum and start name calling.

16. __M__

__M__ Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Missouri
    I just hope there's a GOF3 in the near future.

17. tonyatf

tonyatf Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    Anyone having an issue buying the voidx ship? i have all the medals and it does not show up and the gamecenter achievements seems to transfer over from galaxy on fire 2.

18. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    I'm still early in the game (finished the older version but that was forever ago and I've forgotten everything), but there was one system (somewhere down the bottom left of the galaxy map I think) that frequently sold organs for cheap and another that would buy them at about 2x the price. Once you work out where they are just keep flying back and forward between the two and doubling your money each time.

19. tonyatf

tonyatf Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    Vossk organs or just organs in the Pan system and sell to either the Enya system for Wolf.

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Bug found: after salvaging Void tech the cut scene of them going through a wormhole gets stuck. No dialogue appears and the ship just flies towards the horizon, so to speak. Not even a sign of the wormhole. Oops...