There needs to be a quality control NOW!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by CrocStock, Nov 14, 2008.

1. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I dont know about you. but I am getting pretty sick of the amount of cheap games on the iPod/iPhone currently and not to mention the many Sudoku and Match 3 puzzlers that are available. I would very much like to see a quality control to the games that are being released as frankly a lot of them are barely playable >;l

2. Oma

Oma Well-Known Member

There are a lot of games planned to come in the app store around christmas and newyear, a few big games too!
    And games ARE getting better (-> Fastlane!)

So just have a little patience ;)

3. Kursndax

Kursndax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    So would everyone, theres many threads on this subject with angry app members, I even started one that said there are way too many apps everyday that its hard to keep up with em.

4. What we view as ok and semi-decent game today in 6 months to a year time we'll look back and say that game is crap (well for many of them). I keep trying to maintain my list of best iphone games but it's getting pretty hard as they keep pumping out 15 new games per day. I'm seriously going broke buying too many of the crap ones. I'm wising up slowly but surely.

5. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Its not about the amount, just the quality and some of them are so awful and they still pass through!

6. kshep

kshep Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Sep 15, 2008
    It's all part of the gold rush. Everyone hears about individual developers making hundreds of thousands of dollars and wants in on the action. I think a lot of them will start to realize that it's not quite so easy and they will simply give up or move on. Hopefully Apple will continue to improve the layout of the App Store over time to make it easier to sort the good from the bad.

-Keith

7. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Agreed. There is an inexcusable amount of crap that Apple allows to go through. I also think there should be required videos of gameplay for every game since there's no refund policy. I mean, Outerspace for 10 bucks might be amazing but who the hell knows and who the hell wants to gamble 10 bucks on a guess. Not enough developers/consumers put their stuff on youtube

8. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    I tend to catch apps that are free for a very short period of time. My most recent purchase using this technique was Touchpad Elite which would usually cost $4.99. (Great app I must say, now I don't have to be literally in front of my laptop to use it, although I do have to be in the same room.

Ive only spent $15.10 so far and I'm proud of that fact. It is difficult to sort the quality apps from the crap that is spewed at daily. However thats why sites such as this one exist.

9. kshep

kshep Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Sep 15, 2008
    It would be nice if we could put video clips on the App Store directly. We have videos on our website and even mention that in our app store description, but a very low percentage of people actually click through to the website.

-Keith

10. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    I agree with this completely, a video of what an app does would make it a lot easier to distinguish the quality apps that do get released.

11. mek

mek Well-Known Member

so...its a marketplace...so stop buying them..it wont cut out on all of them, but it will slow them.....the barriers to entry are so low..you will see a lot of crap..but that is how it was set up..in hopes that someone who couldn't afford a industry standard barrier to entry, of like 10,000 fee or whatnot...would design something so amazing,..that it changes everything...and sells even more iphones...that is all apple wants...is to sell more devices

so be thankful that you actually have an app store
    and if you don like it, think its barely playable, ..just dont buy it
    if you do buy it...and get ripped off...sink it in the reviews...
    your dollar(or whatever currency you use) and voice...are so powerful..you can shape the app store..or at least send ripples through it

12. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    That's a nice theory but 2-star apps consistently get into the top 50 and even the top 10. Folks that frequent this forum might have some standards/restraint but it seems most people load up the app store on the device and just buy the first thing they see - I'm not sure that 50% of those people even realize they can scroll down :rolleyes:

13. mek

mek Well-Known Member

#13 mek, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
    well then that is thier money..that is thier business

you can look at the reviews...and save your money, time and frustration

14. mrsteveman1

mrsteveman1 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    They should allow people to sort all apps within a category by rating. I thought thats what the popularity sorting thing did, but the top app in the games > arcade area when you sort by popularity is pac man lite with 3 stars.

Top 50 and top 100 are causing some problems it seems, if you aren't on one of those lists your app is invisible unless searched for, featured or linked to from a blog.

Allowing the good apps to be found by rating might help, if anything can.

15. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Popularity = downloads per day, or partial day.

I think it would have to be weighted by total reviews and ratings average, since a game with one 5 star review is not really better than a game with 100 reviews, and a 4 star average.

16. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Agreed. I thought Apple's submission process would be much more polished. But i suppose not every member of their team can try every app out. I hope that they fix their submission process and the layout of the app store soon..as too much crap is on there. How long did it take Cube to be approved??