Universal Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (by Rockstar)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NeppyFX, Dec 5, 2012.

1. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    So it crashes, but to your home screen now?
    That might happen to me, don't you think? If I do the same as you did.

I don't know, I spend $260 on a bus ticket to travel out of state for a month, $12 on games today and $50 for my cell phone bill.

So far, the $12 was a waste.
    Leaving the 17th out of state. See how that goes.
    For my cell phone, only used it once and turned it off, so pretty crappy gaming day for me.

RANDOM I KNOW. Sorry!!!!

2. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Is that a serious question? THIS. All day.

DBC

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh, I would love it if this happened. Problem is I can't see Rockstar dumping all the time and money into an original GTA game even if they sold it for $10 or $20 on the App Store. Chinatown Wars even sold for the higher than average for a DS game $40 dollars, and IIRC it didn't sell up to what they had expected. MAYBE if they were targeting DS and Vita at the same time it would make more financial sense, though.

Porting older games where basically all the leg work of creating a game is already done is a lot easier to do, and I bet they rake in a ton of money even selling Vice City for just $5.

Anyway, we'll see. I would LOVE to be wrong about this :)

4. thesmashingone

thesmashingone Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    What do you mean? It has always been crashing to my home screen. It could just be a bug because everything else seems to be running alright-ish. I've experienced one bug due to low RAM, but the only crashing occurring is the Save Menu one.

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Crashes there got me to. It flickers also from characters into black screen characters. But minigore 2 plays great for me? WTH?

6. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Lmao, I thought you meant the game home screen/main menu.

I'm sorry it's 1:34am and I'm tired.
    Maybe try turning off your wifi and see if that helps the saving issue. Idk why it would, but every trick in the book could do something to help a game.

Sorry if I made no sense what so ever.

7. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Is there a way to shuffle the songs? It always starts with the same song, and if you leave and re-enter the car it starts from the beginning again. Seems like this feature is only useful for 1 song only.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I don't suppose this game has the extras from Vice City Stories, eh?

9. I wouldn't think so..it could be released as a paid add-on in the future, yet thats quite unlikely

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm
    Guessing you've never played them both. Vice City is a much better game. III was great it came out and still a lot of fun, but Vice City was a huge step forward and, IMO, much more fun.

11. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Any other iPod touch 4 users having crashes besides me and tso?

12. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    This is my favourite video game ever. Just brilliant.

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    So true. They made more than the development costs back when it was originally released. Porting is cheaper than a new game they give it a modest price to gain more money through volume sales. It's really smart. Besides, there are still 2 games to bridge the gap.

Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories are both smaller games than San Andreas so we may see them first.

Actually... It's been awhile but the graphics from the iOS screenshots look really close to what I remember in Vice City Stories.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Actually they're superior. Upgraded textures, remastered lighting and poly count for characters.

15. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #195 Prhaber, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    Graphics and textures much improved on the ps2 version - here's a screenshot taken on my ipad mini...

Runs like a dream, controls are very responsive and work well and the music sounds top notch, even with headphones....

Happy days...

Attached Files:

16. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Maybe you are just getting unlucky and it keeps playing the same song. That being said, it does seem like it just starts a new song when ever you enter a vehicle or leave the pause menu, rather than putting the playlist on some kind of loop like the other radio stations. A bit annoying that I never get to hear the drum part of "In the Air Tonight" unless I just aimlessly drive around...

17. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Anyone knows if it runs with full effects on the new ipod touch 5th gen?
    Can anyone post the gta set file of iphone 4s, assuming it has the effects enabled? Or even the iphone 5 version.. Thanks

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I didn't say they were inferior ;)

But rather that the two look similar enough that this engine could be used for both.

Wouldn't that be an awesome IAP surprise if apple ever lifted the file size cap!? Technically they could just charge the IAP then make you download the files directly from rock star servers but that might be more trouble than its worth.

19. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    Runs very smooth on iPhone 5. Sadly shooting seems like gta 3.. you can tap on enemies to target them though.

20. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    Also disappointed with the shooting mechanics. Targeting enemies is a nice alternative to "nearest person" targeting, but you can't shoot with accuracy.

No way to target tires
    No way to target police helicopter

Getting to a 5-star wanted level is going to be tough if you can't shoot helicopters.