Universal DoDonPachi Blissful Death (by CAVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    #101 0-FeliX-0, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Wha... I haven't seen anything that needs a camera... that is just crazy. :/

Also, could anyone give me any tips? I don't think that I know all the ropes here.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I used to get that message all the time back with my old 2nd gen touch for apps that didn't use a camera at all. I think it's just a generic message that means time to upgrade your hardware ;)

3. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Runs buttery smooth on 4th gen devices! Controls are spot on and wish they would port the push-like laser button in this game to Bug princess too! Sometimes the ship randomly get's stuck during movement and have to quickly lift the finger and move again. Kind of bugging me.

4. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Man, I know people have differing tastes, but I think you would have to be completely mental not to buy this game for 5 bucks, if you are a CAVE fan. It plays completely different than their other iOS ports. No, it isn't their all-time best game, but it doesn't need to be, for that very reason. The enemies are lightning fast, the chaining is über-challenging, and it's freakin' hardcore. If you don't want to experience that, then feel free to spend your five dollars on a pretty bouquet of flowers or maybe a pony ride, but I for one, am happy with my purchase.

BTW, it looks better @2x on iPad than some their other games.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Out of all the thread -and yes, I read it all yesterday- for me this was the most useful post, along with Sanuku's videos, which as always I have to thank him for them.

I have finally bought DDP Resurrection, which btw went down to 4.99€ (from 5.99€) at the same time as the release of DDP BD. Thanks a lot Vally for helping me make my mind :)

6. Paul345

Paul345 New Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Game Impressions

goooood!!

7. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Great game. Wish I could play it on my iPad.

8. MJY8

MJY8 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011
  9. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    Insta buy for me.

10. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Of Cave's offerings so far, to me, this is in the bottom three with Espgaluda 2 and Bug Princess. Good game, of course - all six are - but not as good.

11. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    @Vally
    in original ddp shooting with laser and chaining was tricky because of the movement speed when laser is on, is it the same in original ddp doj too?

12. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    #112 Vally, Feb 9, 2012
    I found long stage chaining very hard in both Dodonpachi and Blissful Death.

Dodonpachi especially as you didn't even have hypers here. It was just shot and bomb, raw chaining, nothing else. At least the bullet patterns weren't so bad here!

Resurrection was also misleadingly difficult to keep the chain going when you're in a 'scoring mode' (IE: Hyper full, not engaging hyper so you make the most of the score bonus), as you could drop your chain just as easily.

Daioujou's difficulty for scoring and chaining has still managed to transplant itself to the iOS version - The increased movement speed actually makes very little easier.

But in order of scoring difficulty as far as the entire series is concerned, from hardest to easiest (I haven't played Donpachi):

Dodonpachi Daioujou
    Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label
    Dodonpachi
    Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5
    Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label

On this subject, this is one iOS port where I *REALLY* wish they had done the Black Label version, as it made a ton of difference without changing the way scoring worked at all. In fact, the main differences were that you got to choose a 1 or 2 loop game right at the beginning, hypers were a LOT more regular, and the hitbox on your ship was slightly smaller.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Wow... Just wow. LOVING this one! The chaining is intense, and the bullet patterns are great... Can't wait to learn all the stages, and start on a high score spree... Even though I usually suck with Cave scoring... Bug Princess sort of boosted my confidence. =oD

14. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    #114 Vally, Feb 9, 2012
    I would STRONGLY recommend looking for a Daioujou superplay video on YouTube if you're thinking of learning the stages and chaining. :)

I learned my Stage 1 chaining from watching a DOJ Superplay DVD and on the iOS port, it's taking me up to 20mil by end of first stage.

A couple of quick tips - Learn where bee locations are, as they're FAR more fundamental in this. Pick up a bee while you're maintaining a hit counter, and your hyper gauge fills up very quickly. This is reeeeeeeeeally important for score.

If you're finding chaining difficult, my suggestion would be to save your hyper count for the last section of Stage 2, after the little mini-boss helicopter thing. This section here with the tanks coming out of the sides, and the buildings on the left and right hand side, is scoring heaven with a decent chain.

15. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Synth, Why are you not in the Dariusburst SP thread?! Your iPad2 demands it!

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #116 syntheticvoid, Feb 9, 2012
    Ha.. Cause with this, Eufloria, and Corpse Party, I've kind of over spent this week already... =oP

And thank you Vally... Will definitely check out runs on YouTube, and hopefully cram my brain full of Cave stages... =oD

17. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Corpse Party... >_>

Eufloria is great though :D

18. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    @Vally
    thanks, yep it looks like ddp doj is even more harder to chain than ddp on arcade. really would be cool if cave set up additional leaderboard for all ships and dolls and made it at gc default.

19. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Yes that would be brilliant. :( Unfortunately no go.

I'll be participating on Type B Exy mainly, though.

20. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Left BD in background and ate up my battery overnight. Don't know if this is a bug, but I don't remember this happening with other games. Iphone4.