Mass "What Should I Get?" Thread (2012 - 2017)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2011.

?

What device to get?

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. iPod Touch

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. iPad

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. iPad Mini

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Few questions!

Does anything else out there hold a torch to Starfront Collision? I started playing it again the other day, and it's really a fantastic Starcraft clone. I wonder, though, are there any other titles with updated "stuff"?

Also, Cartoon Wars. Yay/nay? And if yay, which version? There are quite a few renditions out there.

Final question! What multi-player options exist between iOS and Android? My brother just got a new S2, but I'm on an iPad and 4S. I want to play something mobile with him, but I'm not sure our options. Any help here?

2. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    If you like RTS you should give Red Conquest! a try. One of the best out there. I learned about it from Backtothis - who, quite frankly, never leads me wrong.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1423 backtothis, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    Yeah, I'd probably put RC over Starfront as a better game. I'd rather play Starfront though since there are always people online. Red Alert was amazing when there were a ton of people who were on at any time of the day. Been years now though, sadly. It has a great campaign and multiple single-player modes though. LASW (Land Air Sea Warfare) is another great one. There's only skirmish mode in it though. That's pretty much it for quality RTS games on the iOS.

You'd think there'd be a lot more by now considering how amazing the large iPad touchscreen would be for them.

Amoebattle just came out last week. Really positive impressions so far for that one as well. It's the third game on Apple's featured list for the week. There's only a campaign mode though.

For more mediocre RTS games, The Settlers, Robocalypse, and Red Alert fit the bill.

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    What about Civ Rev? Any good?

5. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    I really like civ rev, unlimited replay value and lots to do.

6. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    LASW is my favorite RTS on the AppStore.

Starfront is like Starcraft, LASW is like AoE, and Red Conquest is a hybrid between the two (more like Starcraft though). Like backtothis said before, those 3 are the best in the AppStore.

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1427 backtothis, Apr 9, 2012
    I'm watching the IGN Pro League finals for SC2 that's going on in Vegas right now. Holy crap, I need to get the game ASAP, lol. Reason why I quit PC RTS games is because I couldn't ever stop playing them online constantly, but SC2 looks so freaking sick. I keep putting off buying it since I know I'd never play anything else..

Edit: Ok, wow, resyncing LASW, Starfront, and Red Conquest. Grabbing Starcraft 2 next weekend. I need to play some freaking RTS.

8. nicoga3000

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll have to look into LASW and Red Conquest. Thanks for the recs everyone.

As for Starfront, I'm loving it. My brother plays a LOT of SC2, and I considered buying it, but I just don't know if I could ever get that good, haha. Starfront is a nice option for me given my lack of drive to learn SC2 I guess. :)

9. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Go Squirtle!

How can you be such an RTS fan and not have SC2? It's the only RTS with a worthwhile esports scene and might stay the only one for the next decade.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1430 backtothis, Apr 9, 2012
    Dude, you up for a match sometime? Hell, I'm up for a match of Starfront right now if you want. Done resyncing now.
    Like I said, I quit PC RTS games years ago.

Definitely played my share of Starcraft, AoE, and Empire Earth when I was younger. Won't take me too long to learn SC2 ;).

Edit: Squirtle is a freaking boss. Protoss ftw.

11. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Haha, I meant it as more of a rhetorical question. If it just ends up being too time-consuming, then it's not a bad decision to avoid those games. Same reason a lot of people quit MMOs, even if they enjoy the genre.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1432 backtothis, Apr 9, 2012
    Yeah, MMORPGs are as bad as it gets. Runescape and MapleStory were the only two I played. Glad I never touched WoW -_-. I just play single-player RPGs on the iOS and 360 now. It's a better experience imo. I can't resist getting back into RTS (SCII). Good thing I have a Mac though so I never got into LoL.

Edit: Ouch, Squirtle got wrecked in the second set. He lost three in a row, coming in second.

13. jowa44

jowa44 Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Student
    Switzerland
    I know this has been asked a couple of pages ago, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I've just finished Ghost Trick and I'm into adventure games again. I'm looking for a game that delivers a similar experience. Or, maybe similar to Sword & Sworcery, I love that game too.

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    You need Phoenix Wright, Hector 1, 2, & 3, and Puzzle Agent 1 & 2.

But really, get Phoenix Wright.

15. jowa44

jowa44 Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Student
    Switzerland
    I already bought it and I'm going to play this first. Thanks for your suggestion!

16. nicoga3000

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Gameloft Live ID is nicoga3000. I fell asleep a little after posting, but I'd be down later. Add me and PM me if you do! :cool:

17. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Well the Koreans are PRO at that game, and you're close enough ;)

18. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Just got my first iPad as a gift. I've been an iPhone gamer for about two years now so I'm always on TA and have a lot of the blockbusters already (IB2, RR2HD, Sworcery, Anomaly, etc) and picked up Civ Rev and Monopoly on sale this weekend, as well as Disc Drivin' HD (it's actually easier to DD on the iPhone I've discovered). I'd like some recommendations on solid iPad games, including lesser known games and iPad exclusives. I'd also would like to know if Carcassonne is worth the $10 as I've heard it's quite good on the iPad.

19. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    If you could only get puzzle agent 1 or puzzle agent 2, which one would it be? They're on sale for 99 cents.

20. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'd start from the beginning. PA2 is really just a continuation from the first game. They're as much about the story as they are about completing the puzzles, so you'll probably want to get the second one eventually. I found the first one more funny/interesting in any case.