iPad Battle for Wesnoth Episode 5: The Dark Hordes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Battle for Wesnoth is featured again in the "What We're Playing" section on the App Store! :D

2. Coops58

Coops58 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I said don't look here!
    I can't believe you even think of charging .99 cents for this game.. thats just high way robbery......

TO YOU!!!!!!! (Kyle) THIS GAME IS WORTH SO MUCH MORE!! I have spent hours on it and to see it at .99 cents makes me cry :'( This game is at a bare minimum worth 4.99... I don't think I will ever beat it because there is so much content, and more keeps coming.. You should be paid for your hard work! This is the only game to ever make it on my dock..

3. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I feel the same way, it makes me cry too, and not because I paid the full price, but simply because I know there are people out there downloading it for a dollar who will play for 5 minutes and delete it because "it's too hard," or "they don't get it," and then writing a negative review and going to play doodle fartboobs or whatever. Blasphemous.

4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Big true that! I got it the day it came out at full price and even with the bugs people were reporting at the time, I felt it was still FAAAAAR worth more than it's asking price. Don't get me started on what it has turned into since via the updates all-around with added content and tweaks. Battle for Wesnoth is simply the best TBS game the Appstore has to offer (at least in my eyes).

5. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    hey kids don't have patient to learn, they prefer "Happy Meal" more :D

6. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Any word on the iPad version release? I know Kyle was waiting for customs to test it. Did he ever get it? Has it been submitted?

Dorf

7. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I've been having performance issues with the game lately. I'm on a 3G, and often after either putting the phone to sleep and waking up or getting to a dialog between characters, the game will slow down to a crawl (to the point that it's basically unplayable). Anyone else having this problem?

I also noticed that the game doesn't seem to autosave mid-turn when you immediately quit out or take a phone call (not sure if this is the case every time though). Anyone else notice that as well?

8. malphigian

malphigian Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Some newbie questions if people don't mind. I'm really liking the game, but I'm struggling with the UI a bit. I'm aware this was apparently improved a lot in this latest version, but I'm still having trouble. The tiles are just a little too small for my fat fingers and I can't ever seem to reliably double tap.

Neither of those are my question though -- my question is is there any way to see the terrain bonuses for a unit? Checking out the guide for the PC version there is a way there, but I can't seem to figure out any way to do it on the iPhone.

If there isn't, is this information available anywhere? It's pretty critical to this kind of tactical game to know what bonus/penalty you get for each type of terrain.

If I'm missing something, someone please let me know, thanks in advance!

9. #109 ShortAppsReview, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    I really enjoy your game, you put a lot of time into the story.

I've only played the first campaign, but I do feel there could be some improvements to the overall gameplay. Just the interface of moving poeple around, reinforcing etc could be refined.

I've found that double tapping to move somewhere isn't always responsive. Maybe implament a bloom system instead of the menu system you have now.

Tap on someone, tap on a location a bloom will open up around where you tapped with an green check mark or a red X to either accept or cancel the order. Same with attack

Tap on unit, tap on enemy, you get a ranged attack or melee attack bloom around where you tapped

One last thing, the information on terrain would be useful to see as well, like what's the +/- of attacking in a forest vs land, field, or water. showing the pros and cons of the terrain would help a lot.

Other than that it's a stellar game. My favorite hex strat on the iphone

edit: on yeah in addition to the bloom I was talking about, it would be nice that when you click on the land hex that the hex would highlight where you want to go just to make sure you're actually tapping on the right hex.

10. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    the game doesn't seem to have very good graphics...is the gameplay enough to overcome the graphics for .99?

11. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    you are kidding , right?

12. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Ignore the complaining kiddies. They want 3D graphics and simpleminded gameplay, so they don't like this game.

I do have some suggestions though:

- someone said the UI was tricky for his fingers. I agree, and I have slim fingers. If it's at all possible, some sort of zoom function might be cool. Things are definitely small. And text is sometimes painful to read.

- on my 3G Touch, sometimes the game lags a bit. I don't know if more optimization is possible, but it would be nice if the game could flow smoothly and quickly from menus to map etc. It's OK right now, but just not ideal.

Definitely worth the money I paid for it.

13. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Yes, this game is a complete ripoff - for poor Kyle Poole. We are all ripping him off. His game deserves so much better, and at its original price of $4.99 was too cheap. There is no other game which has stayed on the front page of my phone for so long. And it's not leaving any time soon, I assure you. The original game promised 300 hours of gameplay. What is it now after the 4th episode?

I will admit that the interface is not as smooth as some other games, but I have gotten used to it now. The graphics work quite well with the game - I'm not sure how the Ipad versions looks, but I bet it's even better.

14. Seeing as how he's charging nothing for the game on his website for PC/Mac/Linux, I feel the $.99 is for the service of porting over the game on the iPhone.

15. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Honestly I don't care about the 300+ hours of gameplay,as long as its fun. i mean you can say doodle jump has an infinite amount of gameplay, but it's still fun. Or you can say papi jump has an infinite amount of gameplay too but it's not as fun. I just want to get an enjoyable experience from the game. I'm probably gona get the game anyways, but I just want to know if the graphics take anything away from the game and if it's hard to learn how to play and understand the game in the beginning.
    O and btw for all the people out there who say getting games like this(there are others), for only .99 or 4.99 is steal compared to getting other xbox and pc games, or like getting a cheesburger or whatever, you have to keep in mind that this is the app store where EVERY game is around that price point so it has nothing to do with other consoles. Just my two cents.

16. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Nah, the "hours of gameplay" refers to unique gameplay, otherwise all games have unlimited gameplay if you play it again and again. Doodle Jump has like 5 minutes of unique gameplay. Wesnoth has 300+ hours if you just played through all the campaigns. That doesn't include quick skirmish games, multiplayer, or replaying some campaigns for a different outcome. For example, I'm currently replaying the South Guard campaign and chose to help the bandits this time. My elvish allies abandoned me, and it was a completely different story from then on...

Plus I would argue that the vast majority of .99 games are throwaway games. They're entertaining for a few hours (at most) but then you move on. With Wesnoth there is so much to explore, that it's easy to get hooked and keep coming back for more.

If you have ever played Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Panzer General, or any other strategy type game, then you will probably really enjoy Wesnoth because it is it's own unique game, not just a copy of something else....

17. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    ok so thanks for the info. just two questions:
    1. how much longer is it going to be on sale
    2. Are all the campaigns like different from each other in a big way?

And btw i tried going to cheapappaday.com like in the description and the site doesn't exist...

18. micgao

micgao Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I can answer the second question for you.
    Yes all the campaign are ENTIRELY different from different race of monster, different "hero" different story, different map, different everything except the game play.

19. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    ok thanks just bought

20. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    smart pick ;)