Do you include the terms and conditions with promo codes?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Moonjump, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    With all the long legal documents from Apple to be read as a developer, it can be quite easy to miss that when distributing promo codes, you should include terms and conditions that are emailed to you. For example:

"Code expires on Fri Apr 22 10:42:46 PDT 2011 and is redeemable only on the iTunes Store for the United Kingdom. Requires an iTunes account, subject to prior acceptance of license and usage terms. To open an account you must be above the age of 13 and in the United Kingdom. Compatible software and hardware, and internet access (fees may apply) required. Not for resale. Full terms apply; see www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/. For more information, see*www.apple.com/support/. This app is provided to you by Andy Cowe"

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    thoose look like old t/c because promo codes are not bound to a single country? they can be redeemed worldwide

3. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I know they are not bound to a single country (I put the UK one, it was previously USA only), but they are the ones supplied with my most recent promo codes, and those terms say they are, even though they are not.

4. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

What could be the danger with sending something like a free promo code to someone without terms and conditions? :confused:

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    None.. Aliens send by apple could try to do some "checks ups" on you, but the pain fades away after a couple days ;)

6. marc-bjango

marc-bjango Active Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Lead Designer & Director at Bjango
    Melbourne, Australia
    The only condition people really need to know about is that codes expire. Or is there something else I'm missing? If someone asks, we have a help page we've written that gives them some handy promo code info.

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I do, because it's required and I'm a stickler.