Download Numbers - The Impossible Test WATER

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by simplymuzik3, Apr 24, 2011.

1. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #1 simplymuzik3, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    So after reading the thread about the launch of Squid Drop, I decided to post a little bit about the launch of The Impossible Test WATER (free + IAP and ads).

The game launched on Thursday April 14, 2011.

April 14: 123,220

April 15: 144,416

April 16: 148,924

April 17: 130,916

April 18: 99,064

April 19: 64,539

April 20: 43,480

Total: 754,599 downloads (free).

When the game launched, we did a major push for our original The Impossible Test which got us up to #2 in the US and also Top 10 pretty much everywhere else.

To get everyone notified about the new game, we did a few things:

Facebook (about 11,000 likes on our page at the time - facebook.com/PixelCUBE)

Twitter - about 550 followers at the time

In-game popup - We have a system where we can push an alert to users when the launch the app. When the app launches, it checks for a file on our server and shows the alert to the user. We did this in our other 3 apps (The Impossible Test, The Impossible Test SPACE, Traffic Dodge).

In-game News - We also have a "News" page where users were notified about the new game.

That's pretty much all we did. One other thing is that our original The Impossible Test has about 10M downloads now, so we have a pretty big user base (even though a lot of people probably deleted it). The 1 major thing that went wrong for us - our servers crashed and users were unable to play the game on saturday, and most of sunday. This caused a MAJOR storm of 1 star reviews. I think we could have gotten much higher in the charts if that didn't happen.

Conclusion: Overall, I think the launch went very well! We're at about 900,000 downloads now, and it's slowly going down (currently at 30k/day). We've also started a new mailing list system, so for our next launch we'll send out emails as well!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that we also had updates for The Impossible Test and The Impossible Test SPACE come out on the launch day (April 14). We did this so that existing users would launch our other games, and get the popup alert that tells them about our new game.

2. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Wow, those are some good stats!thanks for sharing!

3. MonkeyButler

MonkeyButler Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Thanks for sharing, out of interest what was your conversion rate for the IAP?

4. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I haven't calculated the conversion rate, but I'll do it today and get back to you.

5. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    Looks like some pretty strong numbers, will be interesting to see conversion rate/revenue for your IAP.

6. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted!