Wed/Thurs Releases

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Gabrien, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    #1 Gabrien, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    I think the amount of games released in this period is really starting to get a little out of hand. Look at tonight: almost a dozen new quality releases at once. Am I complaining? Well, not really, I'm glad in a way to be so spoiled for choice, but I would much rather see those games released at more spaced out intervals during the week.

It's just, I don't understand this trend because I don't see whom it benefits. Developers are all competing with each other which can't be good for them, us punters have too many interests pulling us in different directions at once. And then, there's always the odd indie who either through bad luck or bad planning releases a potentially worthy game into the mix at the same time and gets completely ignored in the feeding frenzy.

Not to mention, I can't even keep track of the new games released during this period any more. I feel like I must make a list to not lose track of the ones that are going to speedily disappear off the front page of the forums. And then, on other nights I'm looking for something to buy and it's just dead. Wouldn't it make more sense to release games evenly throughout the week?

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Nah i like them all in one night. Means that i don't have to keep going back and checking to see if a game is out. But i think the updates are starting to get bunched up.

For example tonight we had an update for Infinity Blade, AB Seasons, Jenga and FTS.

3. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    That sounds like coincidence. Updates have always been very spaced out for me, with the occasional weighted day.

As for the releases themselves, I like it as well. You can always just ask around in mass what should I get thread for anything you missed, and the list and reviews on the front page usually get all the rest from today on to through the next week.

4. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Plus its easier for me when i do my posts, Saves me having to do countless posts.

5. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Oh yeah you're one of the lucky ones that gets the game early. Well its never been a big deal to me since I rarely by games at release, and usually get them the weekend after (I dunno why, might be to watch out for any crazy bugs or something really off in the game). And yeah it does make it easier for you. You get the games an hour after New Zealand?

6. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Actually i get them 6-7 Hours after NZ,

Perth 6-7Hours
    Melbourne/Sydney 3-4Hours

7. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Use these links and you wont forget any NZ release
    iPhone: http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=2&page=1&pp=20&sort=dateline&order=desc&daysprune=-1

iPad: http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=24&page=1&pp=20&sort=dateline&order=desc&daysprune=-1

But yeah, I hate such releases too. Wish there was just a couple of NZ releases every day instead of 2 dozen on wednesday night and nothing before/after that.

8. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Okay that makes more sense. Thought I read somewhere it was sooner for some reason.

9. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Maybe if they were spread out over 2 days?

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
  11. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeah share your secrets "Imy" :p

12. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Yep. Just change the "sorted by" option at the bottom of any forum section to "Thread Start Time" and the threads will be sorted by timestamp of first post instead of last post (which is the default option). I have both those links bookmarked so I dont need to change it manually whenever I need to check out all the latest threads.

[​IMG]

13. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Thanks again. I bookmarked them as well but it's good to know how to do that when I'm on a different device.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #14 backtothis, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    Never knew you could rearrange the threads. That's pretty useful for Wednesday mornings when I'm going through the NZ threads. Thanks.

Anyways, these are the Wednesdays that make it awesome being an iOS gamer. We've seen a drought of quality titles since the end of april with the exception of Touchgrind BMX and Chaos Rings Omega. Today feels like another one of those release weeks back in December. Next week is already looking to be the same. Awesome, awesome stuff. I can't believe it's going to cost under $15 to pick up 8 of these, including Backstab.