Multimedia Fusion 2 - game development engine; PWYW >$1

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by undeadcow, Dec 5, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Link: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Edit: Multimedia Fusion 2 sells for $118 from it's developer Click Team on Amazon. Amazon reviews suggest it's user friendly. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Clickteam-MMF2-Multimedia-Fusion-Standard/dp/B000J0KP7O

Edit2: From later in this thread...

2. scrotally

scrotally Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I was just on the their site and saw this. Looks pretty cool and you can't beat humble bundle.

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #3 nightc1, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Tried researching this a bit and Manos was built off of a modified Awesome Land engine. I don't think the games bundled have anything to do with the design studio... but I am interested in that design studio as it would make some of my ideas a little easier to bring into reality.

Thanks for the heads up on the deal.

Edit:

Further research has revealed NightSky was developed on MF2. So there's that.

EDIT2: dug more... found this page:
    http://indiegamecreator.com/

Seems Awesome Land was deved on it... the engine for that was used to make Manos. NightSky (as mentioned), Realy Big Sky, and maybe others were also dev'd on that software dev kit.

Hmm...

I think resistance is futile for me on this one.

4. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Windows only, darn. There went my future as a successful game developer. Seriously though, thanks for sharing.

5. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Haha! Exactly, man. I wish it was for Mac. I do have Windows via bootcamp, but that's such a hassle it's not even worth it. But like you said, thanks for sharing.

6. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Ah the benefits of having both PCM and Mac computers.

7. repapermunky

Aug 29, 2012
    Oh, almighty nightc1, how you make us green with envy! :p

But seriously, when I was younger, we had that. Then my parents moved on and converted our house to an entirely Apple-filled infrastructure. (I went with a MacBook Pro for my music).

On another note, does anyone know if I can purchase this on a Mac and then download on a PC? Strictly out of curiosity, I know it's probable.

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Was looking at this as a way of doing some little games for myself on my iPad but it seems you can't export the games you make to an iPad unless you have a mac, I don't. Shame really.

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up, this seems like a great solution for prototyping needs.

10. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I don't see why not. I can log into my account (created yesterday) from my iPhone. Looks like I could complete the purchase on it so I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a Mac, iPad, kindle fire or any other device with a browser.

I'm completing my purchase today, I think it'll add the games to my purchase history an I can report back how it works from there.

Yeah that's pretty much all iOS development outside of the Mac bubble. The middleware creates the code and then you have to compile through Xcode natively on a Mac. There are ways of taking certain PC hardware and installing OSX and creating what's termed a "Hackintosh". I think it may violate the terms of being here so I won't detail how it works but its not as hard as it sounds and you can install Xcode that way and play it. Just be prepared to dedicate a computer to it or have a separate harddrive.

11. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #11 nightc1, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Ok, completed my purchase. I know I should have been on the whole humblebundle thing ages ago. I've heard about it many times in the past.

Anyway so you should be able to complete the purchase on whatever device you want. Once done it creates a link that you follow to the purchase (though it also works by clicking into your account)... they also send an email with the link. On the purchase page you can download each of the games, the discs for Multimedia Fusion 2 and so on. There's a separate link to get the serial code for MF2 as well as a link to get the steam keys for any games that have them (which is 4 games if you gave $6 or more). All in all, it's like Steam but simpler.

I'm amazed that MF2 says it'll run on windows 98. That's the first time I've seen it mentioned in years.

+1 step closer to being an app dev. I have the tools, the computers, now it's just a matter of time and imagination.

12. repapermunky

Aug 29, 2012
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

13. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Nice one Undeadcow! MF should be great for game prototyping!

14. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    So is that Multimedia fusion 1 or 2 ? the program that you create games etc
    and can export it for Windows / IOS / MAC / Android ?

And only 1-6 bucks or whatever ?? Can't really find a real price, you can donate and get some windows games, but also the program ??

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    It's Multimedia Fusion 2, just as the thread title lists. They provide both discs (as digital download .zip files) worth of info which according to my research has disc 2 being tutorials/training and the first being the program. You develop in MF2 and then from there you can compile windows versions or export the code through a converter tool for iOS or whatever. iOS stuff has to be then taken to a mac with xcode installed and you can compile that code to .app to test on devices as well as to then later submit to apple once you have a dev license. Xcode though is free so you can work on a game as much as you want and test it and only really have to pay when you are ready to publish.

Along with that are the games listed, and some soundtracks. More content if you give $6 or more and some of the games can be redeemed on steam if you wish... though I think most of the games don't have drm in the versions offered directly from humblebundle.

Really it's a very nice little deal. I'm going to install MF2 this weekend and mess around with it. If I have time I'll hook up my mac and compile a test game. This is really good for me because I am a programmer with a degree in computer science, but trying to directly develop in xcode is a bit of headache for me right now. I'd like to do some basic work (which there are other engines out there, many of which are free) and then maybe eventually code my own engine once I know what I'm coding it for.

Anyway, hope that helped.

16. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #16 undeadcow, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    "Chose any amount in US dollars" to get: Multimedia Fusion 2, Vincere Totus Astrum, Oddplanet, Splotches, Faerie Solitaire, MANOS: The Hands of Fate, and Pitiri 1977

The Humble Bundle is a charity pay what you want event. It has some tiers - you must pay at least $1 to get Steam keys, and if you pay $6+ you get some additional games/content (in this case Night Sky, Knytt Underground, and Really Big Sky).

All games are PC only (Humble Bundle has some nice Android stuff sometimes, but never iOS material due to accursed Apple policy preventing side loading apps or mass distributing redeem codes).

If you ever play games on your PC you should keep an eye on Humble Bundle, they have some real gems of a sale (like this one for Orcs Must Die 2 +DLC, Magicka + some DLC, Natural Selection 2, Sanctum 2, Garry's Mod, + Serious Sam 3:BFE for ~$4.17 - https://www.humblebundle.com/)

17. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Ok, found the original site.... Am i right that the multimedia fusion 2 normally is $99and buy the addons for an extra fee, and now it,s only whatever you donate?

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Amazon lists Multimedia Fusion 2 as $118 from the developers so it seems like an otherwise pricey software. I'm not sure if any add-ons are included in the Humble Bundle deal but think it's the plain toolkit without expansions.

19. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    When I have time later ill install it and verify the components it includes. From what I read though all the export tools are supposed to be included, but again I'll verify.

20. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Just bought it... lots of MB to download....
    so w'll see..
    the price is a steal