Any great 3D Dungeon Crawlers out there?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by hedorah, May 14, 2010.

1. hedorah

hedorah New Member

May 14, 2010
    Hi Guys,

Anyone have any recommendations for any 3D Dungeon crawlers for the iphone / ipad?

I love the rouge'like genre, but I am getting a bit burnt out of it at the moment to be honest, and not really look for loot table games like Diablo either.

Instead I am really looking for games that are heavily influenced by Wizardry, Eye of the Beholder, Shining in the Darkness, Etrian Odyssey, etc.

Anything out there that fits that bill?

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    If you're a Wizardry fan, pick up Undercroft immediately, without hesitation.

Also check out The Quest, but try the lite first.

3. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Have you tried "The Quest"? It's not exactly a pure dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey, but it's a roleplaying game similiar to the early Elder Scrolls games.

4. postmanmanman

postmanmanman Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Um, this isn't an iPhone game, but I HIGHLY suggest The Dark Spire. It's a DS game that Wizardry fans absolutely MUST play.

Anyways, on the topic of iPhone games, Undercroft is a good bet and so is The Quest. Neither are quite like Wizardry, but they're both good fun and worth the cash. You can also check out Sorcerer #1 and #2, which are essentially straight ports of one of the early Wizardries, albeit with different sprites.

5. hedorah

hedorah New Member

May 14, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, will be picking up undercroft (already have Quest, and Sorcerer).

Sounds like there really is not a whole lot out there, which I am kind of surprised considering the sheer amount of rouge'likes and diablo clones.

Thanks for the suggestion on Dark Spire posterman, that was one of my most highly anticipated games for quite awhile, and I was super excited when I found out it was being localized for the states. But for some reason, when I actually bought it, I never really got into it. Maybe I should give it another shot since it will probably awhile until Etrian Odyssey 3 comes over here.

6. Slothy

Slothy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    I suggest Doom 2 RPG and Wolfenstein RPG. Two great ID games that are inspired by classic 3D dungeon crawlers.

7. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I don't have anything new to add since previous posters have already been so informative, but I couldn't help but say something on this thread since I'm such a huge fan of the genre.

Undercroft is definitely going to be a great choice for you. The gameplay and balance is a bit out of whack (mostly because you can consume as many potions and similar consumables as you want during a single round). But it has a good party dynamic, some cool character development choices, and most importantly is party-based. The graphics and polish are also top notch. The storyline left something to be desired, but that's really par for the course for this sub-genre.

The Quest is a close contender. It's certainly the largest of this style of game on the iPhone (by a huge margin). And it's character development system is extremely robust, and clearly modeled after the Elder Scrolls games (Daggerfall, Morrowind, etc). Unfortunately, it isn't party-based so you only have a single character to develop. On the upside, the developers (Redshift) are working on a new iPhone RPG series that they've described as being somewhat like an updated The Quest, but with a party. The Quest has a ton of expansions, each of which adds another 30+ hours of content. There are six expansions released so far.

Oddly enough, in my opinion, The Quest's main setback is the approach they've taken with their expansions. Rather than building a more diverse set of independent games (or duos, trilogies, etc), all of them are designed around the idea of importing the same character (or rather, activating the expansions in the base game) and having that character keep on going, and going, and going. While they are playable independently, they are setup in a linear progression. Each expansion is designed for progressively higher-level of play, and the story lines make at least some small references to the same character progressing through the whole thing.

I really would have preferred to have seen them take an approach more similar to how the Gold Box games, or the Infinity Engine games were handled. Use the engine and assets to tell completely different stories (with different characters and settings), that each stand out from each other. Game systems just start to get ridiculous at progressively higher and higher levels of play. There are people reporting hitting monsters in the latest expansion for 14,000 hp of damage per swing. Epicness can only be taken so far before it becomes blase.

The Sorcerer games are a decent port, but it's pretty hard to go back to that style of graphics (even though the first Wizardry, Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, was the first game that got me into gaming and I'm a huge fan of the series).

As a side note, I loved The Dark Spire, and also am a huge Etrian Odyssey junkie. Have you tried Shin Megami Tensai: Strange Journey? It has a lot going for it, though I miss the traditional more permanent party approach.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #8 drelbs, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
    Be sure to check out Dragon Bane II and Princess Demelza.

Crusty old graphics, fantastic Bard's Tale style gameplay with parties, etc. Both offer more game play/length than Undercroft, and rival The Quest in terms of epicness, IMHO. (Especially for the price!)

PS> Undercroft rocks (I got to beta test it - plays like Dungeon Master II) and The Quest is great, but feels very Rambo-ish. However it's a lot of game for the money, grab The Quest Gold and play through that before you decide on investing on the expansions. I haven't played Wolf or Doom RPG yet, was kicking myself for not buying Wolf RPG when it was a buck two weeks ago... If you have a DS, iD made Orcs & Elves which is fantastic (if short - play it on a harder difficulty than normal!)

9. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Ditto. Great, underrated game, IMHO.

This is not the case anymore if you play on the harder difficulty, IIRC. And really, it is the only way to enjoy it fully.

10. hedorah

hedorah New Member

May 14, 2010
    Thanks for the detailed comments BadYeti :) And yes, I most definitely do own Strange Journey, being not only a big MegaTen fan but also a dungeon crawler fanatic, I knew it was right up my alley. I was also really surprised to find out via a recent podcast that the Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 team did the game. I had no idea that was the case until just recently.

11. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    No one has mentioned Necromancer Rising, I'd give that a shot.

Thanks for the tip on Dragon Bane II and Princess Demelza, drelbs.

Does anyone know if an Undercroft sequel/expansion is coming?

12. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Is Strange Journey kicking your ass? Man, that game is phenomenal.

Anyway, I'd recommend Wolfenstein RPG. It's extremely simple (specially if you compare it to MegaTen), but it gets the job done.

13. postmanmanman

postmanmanman Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Agh! Forgot about Strange Journey. I really need to pick that up before it goes the route of all Atlus games... tougher to find than the holy grail.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, if you really enjoy Etrian Odyssey, have you ever been to the Into the Labyrinth fansite? Just wondering...

14. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Get it now man! It's $29 and comes with a great soundtrack CD. The game will easily last you 50 hours +

15. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    The Quest is great probably my favorite RPG on the appstore right now. It is a good bet for long extended play. It is very diverse and quest heavy - the graphics are great too (if you like old-school graphics).

I do not have Undercroft yet - but have played the lite, and it is on my list to get.

Both Doom2RPG and Wolfenstein RPG are excellent - but very linear and slightly shallow. Still worth playing - both are games that can be beat in about 10-20 hours depending on how much you give to them.