Oceanhorn - New Zelda-inspired title from developers of Death Rally!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Fox-One-1, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    The lack of any updates with substance is what really gets me worried. I have been checking their blog, facebook and here for the last couple months. With the exception of the video from last month we've heard nothing from them. The video didn't even come out with an official response from them, it just surfaced and found its way around the net. Its obvious many of us are excited to see this game, but its been in the works for well over a year. At this point i'm not holding my breath for this year, maybe early next year.

2. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Is the game dead? Have not hear anything since it was featured in top 10 upcoming game list which was last mth?

3. Kofiaa

Kofiaa Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Student
    Aberdeen, UK
    Thinking the same thing, really want this to happen.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #384 Vovin, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    In the final phase of a game's development cycle, you usually don't see the devs around here. They need all ressources for this task. No dev updates may be a good sign.

5. turkgames

turkgames Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Student
    Ankara
    There are only 2 weeks left for iTunes connect submissions, I hope we don't need to wait till 2013

6. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Didn't they say 2013?

7. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I still don't have any faith in this coming out any time soon. The last update on the blog was in october. If the game were nearing completion there would be alot more talk about it and some beta testing chatter. None of that exists just this lonesome thread.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree, if its 2013 its 2013, just frustrating when you dont hear anything. The game looks great but as you say if a games about to come out they try and drum up interest/hype about the upcoming game.

From the old video its looking really good but just frustrating not hearing anything specially in this day and age of twitter/facebook etc, much easier for companies to give 'some' news.

9. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I'm confident the game is coming along - but I'm also just as confident it will NOT release this year. Count on a 2013 release. I will always prefer a later-than-expected but high quality game over a rushed but still-on-time game. :)

10. jamessh1

jamessh1 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Bumping back to the top In hopes some news will surface :)

11. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    This looks to be another game that will look perfect and play perfectly on the iPad mini. Love how some games just feel like they were made for the device even though they were made for others and just happen to get compatibility :p

12. atlas3686

atlas3686 Active Member

Aug 26, 2009
    South Africa
    A lot of indie developers suffer from this, they don't quite have the marketing PR mindset because their focus is on the development of the game. It's a tough one because that is where their focus should be, I'm looking at expanding my consulting services to offer indie devs some marketing and PR help and advice. Of course I have to take into account their non-existent budgets :) but I love indie devs so I'm sure I can work something out.

Oceanhorn is a great example of an awesome looking game not getting the hype or interest it deserves simply because of a lack of communication with the community. I'm hoping they will ramp up their efforts closer to the release.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    All it takes is a post/twitter message just to say 'Still going well with Oceanhorn, looking it should be Q1 2013...'

In the day of twitter/facebook or even forums, it just takes a minute to quickly post something to update people at once. So when its all silent people start to panic a bit.

Twitters great for following progress of a game, follow a few game devs reading the updates etc

14. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

Don't worry - A little bird told me there's going to be a new blog post soon! ;)

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    And all is good with the world again ;)

Cheers

16. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    Great to hear :)

17. Fox-One-1

Fox-One-1 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    #397 Fox-One-1, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Update

More info next page. :)

18. Fox-One-1

Apr 5, 2011
    Marketing and PR takes a lot of time from the developers themselves. Sometimes you need to sacrifice whole day of work, just to make a blog post. But there is a new blog post now at oceanhorn.blogspot.com! I am sorry for the long silence!

19. Fox-One-1

Apr 5, 2011
    Oceanhorn blog update!

Oceanhorn.blogspot.com has been updated:

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2012

Oceanhorn of 2013 will be big and beautiful!

[​IMG]

Oh man, how time flies. It has been a hectic year here at our studio. Oceanhorn project has grown from a 3D-tile tech demo into a full-blown adventure engine and the stuff that comes from the other end gives me goose bumps - of excitement. A year ago when we announced Oceanhorn, we never guessed how many people a simple announcement would attract. We learned that people wanted, no they needed an Action RPG like this for their iOS devices.

Because of your high expectations, we have worked hard and given all the time on our hands for the game. Everyday our adventure grows bigger, everyday the game becomes better, and everyday I'm more confident that this is what you players want. And that is what we are going to give for Oceanhorn - more time.

Oceanhorn that will be released in 2013 is a better game than the one that was initially planned for 2012.

After we released our last gameplay video, we got contacted by so many wonderful people who wanted to help us! One party stood out from the crowd. They were fans of the genre, they had played and loved the games that inspired Oceanhorn, and they had their best intentions to help us to give Oceanhorn all the polish it needs.

Now, Cornfox & Brothers are happy to announce that as an outcome of fruitful negotiations, we have begun cooperation with FDG Entertainment to bring you the best adventure game of 2013.

[​IMG]

Fantastic items and spells help you on your adventure

Cornfox is a three man team, so FDG comes in at perfect time to give us the privilege to concentrate on the game itself. Here is a summary of the things that we've worked on lately:

ITEMS
    - Shield incoming attacks, bomb your way through walls, snipe down enemies with a bow, dodge roll and jump over ledges with trencher boots.

SPELLS
    - We have implemented exciting interactive spells! Line up enemies for perfect FIRE shot. Throw items at enemies with FORCE spell.

[​IMG]

Last arrow - make it count

UPGRADES
    - Use your hard earned money to improve your Items and Spells. You get more arrows and bombs, your sword deals more damage and you get new properties for your items.

CONTROLS
    - Floating Directional Controls: People have spoken and we listened. Big virtual stick is now gone. Game will include control options for all tastes.

BATTLE
    - We are very pleased how items and spells gave much needed depth to the combat. There is nothing more pleasing than shooting down a Crapybara (that red insect thing) from a ledge, or performing an perfect dodge roll before Ogre hits you with a hammer and counterattacking him from behind.

[​IMG]
    Old Fortress hides a secret

ADVENTURE
    - Switches, spikes, arrow traps, raising blocks, laser turrets and intelligent enemy respawning gives you hard time in dungeons and temples, but you will love every puzzling minute of it.

VISUALS
    - Project started in 2010, so the character model in all its 800 polygon glory started to show its age. Well, we have a new higher polygon main character model now - better suited for adventures played in 2013!

CINEMATICS and STORY
    - Epic adventure needs epic storytelling, starring Ray Chase as hero's father's voice.

SOCIAL
    - Compare your BRAVE RANK together with your friends. Are you a Rookie Adventurer, Treasure Hunter or simply a Legend. Brave Rank tracks your every kill, discovered treasure chest and completed challenge to give you bragging rights.

Graveyard Island - one of the many small islands with side quests

See?! A lot of great stuff is coming up and our cooperation with FDG Entertainment is going to provide Oceanhorn something even more amazing, but we will tell you more about that later! :)

Have a great holidays and see you in 2013. Remember, we might be silent, but it only means we are working. Constantly. All the time. Until it's out.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Difficult to read with those huge screen grabs ;)

But a great update, happy to hear its all going well and it'll be next year. Perhaps it was just me but i was a fan of that big virtual stick ! Hope you can still have that as an option.

Thanks for the update, something to look forward to next year. The screenshots look great