Space Miner Blast - Spinoff of Space Miner: Space Ore Bust.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by goiMot, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    #1 goiMot, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    Coming out at the end of July for iphone and iPad, will be free with iAds (any ads included will not appear during gameplay sequences). The game will feature extra ships purchasable in-game, and as an added bonus by purchasing a ship all ads will be removed from the game.

2. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    #2 unbrokenchain33, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    I see how they are changing the RPG and gameplay elements. Not sure how I feel about that

Should have made a complete sequel, not just a high score game. But at least it's free!

3. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'll be all over it because it looks fantastic. I really enjoyed the battles in the original. When is it coming out though?

4. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    hopefully earlier :D

5. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    This....to be frank, I'm disappointed. I was hoping they would focus on Space Miner 2.....and the freemium thing worries me. NGMoco was GREAT (Rolando was revolutionary) until they started freemium.....not very excited about this

6. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    It just says there will be ads, there's nothing to actually buy, so it's not freemium.

EDIT: Oh never mind, I though it said unlock ships not buy them. Whoops.

7. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Hey guys,

No worries, we're still working on a proper Space Miner sequel. We got a lot of user comments though that asked for an "endless mining" mode in Space Miner, so Blast is a way for us to address that desire and maybe will allow us to bring some more people to the full game.

We are not just bringing it across though, the gameplay is faster, the hazards are different and nearly all the art has been re-done, so it'll be worth your time to at least check out.

In terms of being "freemium", I don't look at it that way. It'll be a free download with some optional paid content. Freemium to me means making a game you can't really play effectively without spending more money. You can play Blast until the cows come home without spending a dime.

So if you like our games give it a download when it comes out. At best you like it, at worst you'll help out our rankings so more people can find out about Space Miner :)

8. #8 Mindfield, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
    I don't see this as something to be disappointed about. It's more like a minigame version of the full Space Miner -- a separate entity that occupies the same space as its progenitor but is distinct in its goals. It's for those who want a more casual, quick-bite approach to the game rather than the full-on quest of the original. I will still prefer the original (and the sequel when it hits!) but this one will have its place. Plus, it'll be free(ish).

Will this support the iPhone 4 resolution and multitasking?

9. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Thx Brandon this is really reassuring to hear

10. cheenbean

cheenbean Member

May 6, 2010
    Really looking fwd to the release, hows abt mid-July instead of late July? :D

11. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    do you have a release date yet?

12. Hai5

Hai5 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Hi Venan, Space Miner has excellent graphic and physics. I finished this game long time ago and I recently picked up the Ultraviolet Dawn. It is a very good space trading game with fast action paced. Unfortunately the game has terrible physics, you don't feel the weight of the ship compare to Space Miner. I wonder, will you ever make a space trader game base on the current Space Miner graphic and physics?

13. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Hmm... I'll probably end up downloading this just to support you guys, but my favorite aspect of space miner was being able to upgrade your ship with saved money. Are there non-IAP upgrades?

Also, one thing i hated about the original space miner was that your progress was erased after you finished the last sector. In SM2, are you guys going to change that?

14. cheenbean

cheenbean Member

May 6, 2010
    the "end of July" is upon us. Hope to see this in the app store soon. When should I start looking?

15. aznriceboi13

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
  16. V_Kain

V_Kain Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Designer and Writer
    East Coast, USA
    Hey everyone! Sorry for going quiet there for a while!

Space Miner Blast is mostly complete - we wanted to give it a bit more polish time before releasing it, and will hopefully be submitting to Apple come next week. Because of this extra time, we've been able to improve the game in a number of areas. Sorry for the delay, folks - but we wanted to make sure the game was Venan-quality before we released it :)

To answer some of your questions:

Mindfield: Space Miner Blast does indeed feature multi-tasking and will have 4.0-resolution-sized assets at launch. We're putting the finishing touches on that now. Even if you don't have the 4.0 OS, the game saves when you exit and returns you back to the spot at which you left when you re-open the app.

Hai5: We're deep in Space Miner 2 pre-production at this point, and the concept of some kind of space economy did factor heavily in the early discussions. But at the end of the day, we felt that if we added a deep space trader element to the game along with all the other new systems we're planning on adding, it would overwhelm players (and us!). Instead of adding everything and the kitchen sink to Space Miner 2, we're just going to add everything and leave the kitchen sink for later :)

Don't worry, though - we've got a near-endless supply of awesome gameplay in the works for Space Miner 2, including a bunch of ideas that we couldn't fit into the original. Everything you liked about SM1 will be improved and expanded upon!

Ikemike: Rest assured, we won't be making that same mistake twice! We haven't hammered out the details yet, but I'm definitely a proponent of letting players keep playing after they've completed the main storyline. Also, there are upgrades in Space Miner Blast as well! By blowing up asteroids and mining ore, you level up your ship - when you gain a level, you can upgrade your guns, shields, or ore collector at the end of the wave. It's a bit more streamlined than Space Ore Bust, but you definitely get that feeling of improvement over the course of the game. We think that's one of the essences of Space Miner, and capturing that even in a fast-paced arcade game was super-important to us.

Cheenbean: Don't worry, it's coming very soon, and it's tons-o-fun!

As always, if you have any questions about our games, just ask! Thanks for your continued support, everyone!

17. aznriceboi13

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    saweeeet :D awesome

18. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #18 tblrsa, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Nah, another decent developer seems to be getting lost in the money sucking vortex. :( Give us Space Miner 2, but please, give it to us as a complete game. I can only speak for myself of course, but I won´t do any IAP for ships or smth. similar.

19. V_Kain

V_Kain Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Designer and Writer
    East Coast, USA
    Hi tblrsa! We know that not everybody's going to want to buy the in-app ships we've got in Space Miner Blast, but we've been very careful to balance the game so the included ship you get with the game stands just fine on its own. Some of the highest scores here in the studio have been earned with it :)

Basically, we've never liked games that give you a free "base" and require you to buy in-app content to succeed. That may be good marketing, but it's pretty poor game design. You can play Space Miner Blast forever without paying a cent and the game will never punish you for it. The downloadable ships available for purchase cater to specific play styles, but are not requirements to play through the game by any stretch.

20. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Just saying, one of the top reasons that some people don't like IAP or DLC is that it's much harder to find a cracked version with them. Not accusing anyone here, just talking from experience through my friends. Because paying the same amount of money and getting the same content, whether through DLC or upfront, is all the same. If it's IAP, like Ngmoco's games, then that's different.