Is Undercroft worth buying?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RttaM, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I'm interested in buying an RPG something like The Quest and Undercroft, I have tried both although I tend to lean towards Undercroft. Is it worth buying (why or why not). How many hours does the game clock in total?

Also can you suggest an RPG with a good story, with length and obviously detail. Graphics isn't a must, but if they are good sure.

2. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
  3. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Why?

4. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Because its fun!

5. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Anyone else?

6. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    Absolutely. Lots of fun indeed.

7. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    What exactly are the Pros and Cons

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I did beta testing on it and if you tried the lite you know the type of game it is. Average play time is probably 15 - 18 hours. Obviously you can play with other characters but story does not change. I love these types of RPGs.

A long list of pros but I am on a phone - humour, side quests, surprises. Good difficulty, always challenging, but not frustratingly so. Lots of items, weapons , etc. Good emphasis on exploration. Able to be a completionist.

I think biggest con is that as you move from area to area you can't go back. Also story does not change, so even with different characters you kind of know what to expect and where to go.

I can't compare them as I could never get into The Quest. I can't explain why, just did not. I enjoyed playing Undercroft immensly though. Time wise you can't beat The Quest. Hundreds of hours for 10 dollars.

I recommend going with the one whose lite version you liked better. Even with the shorter play time, you will have a great experience.

9. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010

Thank you!

10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Chaos Rings when it comes out.

Zenonia 2 is out already, but the dialogue is pretty terrible.

11. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    #11 amroc, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
    Try the lite version of undercroft, it's the first portion of the game and if you like it you can buy the main game and import your party and continue.

I think it's great all round, nice variety, puzzles, combat, good weapons & spells. But I'm a complete sucker for these type of rpgs (although The Quest didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped).

12. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG