Galaxy on Fire 2 FULL HD coming for iPad 2 and Mac

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by diabolus, Aug 4, 2011.

1. diabolus

diabolus Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Photographer
    Switzerland
    #1 diabolus, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

Attached Files:

2. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I've been looking for an excuse to pull out my million year old Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick. Hopefully there's still support for it, I haven't used that thing in at least 10 years.

3. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    I need to upgrade soon...

4. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Excited!!!!

I've been awaiting these optimizations since the Tegra graphics were featured by Hodapp.

Then, when Valkyrie was released, I was quite disappointed Fishlabs neglected to bring the iPad 2 up to par (it's a more powerful GPU than the Tegra).

Finally, they're doing it and I couldn't be happier.

Will it be a new app? Or an update?

Can't wait for the specifics.

5. fishlabs_games

fishlabs_games Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    GOF2 Full HD will be released as a separate app because

• of course we want to show new screenshots on the App Store but this would lead to false marketing for anyone who does not have an iPad 2
    • Anyone who does not have an iPad 2 would get 800 MB of data onto his device that is not used for the current version of GOF2 and memory is very precious
    • GOF2 Full HD won't feature Valkyrie in the beginning which would lead to inconsistencies with current save games
    • we want to be flexible when updating both versions indenpendtly
    • we want to be flexible on pricing the two version separately

Hope that makes sense to everyone ;)

Cheers,
    Michael

6. demonbasher

demonbasher Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    When is this coming out? What is the price range? Will be available in global app store?

7. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #7 Pacificsun0481, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    Gof2 fhd

8. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Why don't you make it for Steam as a PC and Mac game? The ammount of could-be buyers would be alot higher that way. (And I would most likely buy it again if it was there.)

9. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Just a guess on my part but since steam does not permit in game content purchasing/downloading like iOS and Mac do thats probably why most iOS games don't port to steam. Google 'ea vs steam' for the skinny on this subject.

10. Der-Kleine

Well you can't buy DLC in the game, but you can buy it on steam, I don't think it can be too hard to change that...

11. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I adore you brother man, but those of us with iPad 2 have been waiting on this since before the iPad 2. Then, when we learned the iPad 2 specs - we've wanted this even more.

Screw steam and stuff.

We want this on iPad 2. It's that simple. It can run it, bring it.
    :D

Also, Fishlabs, bring more info: late year fall,or earlier October like fall?

Snowboard Hero iPad 2 style?

12. Der-Kleine

It's not about the iPad 2 version, I'm asking why they only want to release it on the Mac AppStore. I don't care if they bring it to steam later, as long as they do.

13. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Couldn't have said it better.

14. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh.

My apologies :)

15. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Any discounts for those of us that already purchased the game?

16. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
    Both versions will be released before Halloween and the iPad 2 version will be very close in terms of graphical quality.

The sales of Snowboard Hero were pretty disappointing so far. We will have an iPad version eventually but at not at the quality level like GOF2 Full HD. At least not before we are break even with the initial version.

Cheers,
    Michael

17. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
    As I just said in the thread on the TA home page, we would love to discount early adopters but there is no reasonable way to do this within the App Store.

18. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    You cant offer discounts on the base app price but it is possible to do so with IAPs (assuming you have any). I'm not a dev so cant explain how it works but there are ways to determine if the first game was installed on the device or not and depending on that, you can offer a discounted IAP. Byline HD does exactly this. If you install the iPhone version on your iPad, you can unlock the iPad version IAP at $2.99 instead of the regular 5.99.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm not sure doing something like that is worth all the additional time and development resources to placate a dozen people.

20. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
    #20 fishlabs_games, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
    Of course we could check if GOF2 is already installed on the device (without knowing if it was actually purchased though) and give a discounted IAP to unlock the game. However, telling from what we read in the forums many users don't like to unlock a full game via IAP.

Eventually, you don't get a discount on a DVD purchase if you get a BlueRay either. Same goes for Xbox and Xbox360 or PS2 and PS3 versions of a game.

I can only say there's already enough price pressure on iOS games and if iUsers want console quality (especially on a minority install base of iPad 2 compared to the rest of iOS devices) there's a price for that.

I honestly think for what it offers GOF2 is a steal and we have many users with 50+ hours of play time. Not to mention that we did not charge extra for the iPad version like many other devs do.

I understand that users think a discount would be fair but we are developing top notch content for a fairly limited number of devices. And I really don't understand all the whining about paying a couple bucks for an almost console type game with many hours of gameplay on a hardware (even playable on up to 5 devices simultaneously) that costs twice as much as an Xbox 360.

Cheers,
    Michael