20 promo codes no reviews is this normal?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by robertdiel, May 24, 2010.

1. robertdiel

robertdiel Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Is it typical to give out promo codes and not get reviews from users?

2. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Do you ask them to review the app or just give them the code? Ask them to leave a nice review... :)

3. robertdiel

robertdiel Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Thank You

You're right. I didn't ask at all. Time to go put up a few more codes.

4. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    You could ask people to pm you and then in the message request that they leave a review. Its more personal in a pm and it ensures that the codes go specifically to forum members.

5. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I'm with songbird on that one, it also helps to cultivate a relationship with people that will give you feedback on the game. If lurkers grab them all then they're just going to keep lurking, haha.

I now make people work for them :p

6. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Also, who are you giving them out to? If you're just leaving them in a forum for people to snag vs passing them out privately or something like that...you might want to check your itunes account and see how many codes have actually been redeemed. If you know you've only released 20 promo codes and only 5 or so have been redeemed then at least you know a good percentage haven't even gotten around to checking out your app just yet.

I've used the following site to pass out promo codes, btw.

http://iphoneapp-promocodes.com/

This was for an app I just had codes lying around for and I think it helped expose the app to people who wouldn't normally know about it. They've updated the site and how they dispense codes since then...so I'm not sure how good their claim on reviews is since the update.

7. robertdiel

robertdiel Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Thank you for the advice. I did just put them up on the promo codes forum. I did get all 20 redeemed, according to itunes connect, which I'm happy about. It's nice to see people downloading and playing the game. However, I was hoping for at least one review.

I've checked out the site you mentioned, and I'll try it out.

8. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I am of the opinion that promo codes are the absolute worst way to promote your game. I've given out 100+ for various games and may have gotten 3-5 reviews out of them. It would probably be more effective to hand codes to people at the Apple store on a piece of paper.

9. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Also, sometimes it takes itunes awhile to update the reviews. Maybe this was a bug before but I had several people tell me they reviewed one of my apps and I didn't see any of the reviews until a couple days later.

Actually I think there might be a thread about this on the forum somewhere.

10. pmseltmann

pmseltmann Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Software Engineer
    San Diego, California
    In my experience most people don't give it a review. If they say they will it's been abou 1 in 10 for me. I usually give out the code in a PM and send a personal message asking if they would give it an honest review.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    You should point out right in the thread or make people work for them. A lot of the forum members try to leave a review, because it is the least you can do when you guys give it out for free, but sometimes lurkers can get them all before anyone from the forum sees them.

12. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    That's really the key. If you post the codes in an open forum they get taken by lurkers and you won't get any reviews.

If you use the PM system, you can keep track of who you give them to and whether or not you get a review. If you ask them to, many who PM you will PM back and give feedback and tell you when they've left a review on iTunes.

If you're developing other games in the future, it also provides you with a list of people you can offer codes to again, because you have a good chance of getting useful feedback from them.

13. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

I put some codes up, asking for them to twitter a link for them. I got about a 20% return on reviews. All positive.

14. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I've found in general I get about one review per 80 normal purchases (ie. don't expect a huge ratio).

You can probably force this up somewhat easily enough by putting 'reminder' prompts in your game for people to rate it etc.

15. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    I've seen a few examples of this and it can work well. Remember to think about when your pop-up appears so that it's a positive thing for the player rather than an annoyance, that way you're more likely to get a positive rating.

16. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I haven't used it myself - BUT if I did then I'd do it on a single fire flag (queried from the games preferences) and only trigger it at a point where I felt the user had used the game a fair bit and was obviously enjoying it.

Say perhaps storing a 'number of times started' or 'time played' variable behind the scenes and then triggering it after a certain point.

That should ensure that the person is favourably inclined towards your product at the point they fill things out.