The Biggest Easiest To Correct Mistakes Game Developers Make That Result In Low Sales

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wikoogle, Feb 8, 2010.

1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 wikoogle, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    What do you guys think are the biggest and easiest to correct mistakes that App developers make that result in low sales...

I know of three that frequently result in me and my friends deleting apps.

An ugly icon (if possible, avoid any text on the icon, and if there has to be text, keep it minimal, unobstrusive and make sure the text color doesn't clash with the icon's color).

A long title that gets it's end cut off on your phone

An ugly interface/main menu

Both seem miniscule, and both are easy to correct, but here is why they matter.

Apple fans, iPhone owners in particular really value aesthics. This is a big part of the reason we were drawn to Apple in the first place. If you don't care enough about your App to spend a little bit of effort into making a pleasing icon, a pleasing interface to look at and use, and an icon title that is actually readable, then this lack of effort will be felt by your users.

People will subconciously like those icons/apps less because they make the rest of their phone look unappealing. So those apps will often be deleted, and if not deleted, they will be relegated to later pages, and are very unlikely to be shown off to friends and family as a result.

And whether conciously or subconciously, people will rate/review apps with ugly icons and interfaces and incomplete titles lower. For the same reason that people will form a better impression of a person that looks clean and well groomed. Yes it's shallow, yes you can argue that it's unfair, but that's just how the people are.

In short, if you want your app to sell better, and to get better reviews, make sure that your icon is aesthetic to look at. Make sure that your icon title is readable in full. And make sure that your interface, start menu and graphics in general are pleasing to look at. You will get better reviews trust me on this.

If you want a sample of some nice look app icons, I'm sure other posters will be happy to post some examples below. There's a number of developers that consistently give all of their apps icons that are pleasing to look at.

One such developer that springs to mind is NimbleBit. Every app they make has a pleasing icon, frequently with no text whatsoever on the app's image. Where there is text, it is minimal, unobstrusive and color coordinated with the rest of the icon. Their menus and graphics are also, while simple, very clean, polished and pleasing to look at. This is one part of the reason why so many users have NimbleBit icons/apps on their early pages and show them off to friends and family.

[​IMG] - Here is one such example.

2. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Have you ever rated a woman 10/10? Just curious.

3. Chainsy

Chainsy Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I did once.... then she spoke

*shudder*

4. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I would put that in the posty thread, but I'm to lazy to search for it. Made me lol :D

5. one f jef

one f jef Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Releasing a game for sale before it's even 25% finished.

I love indie devs and the games they make, but the above statement is happening all too often and is nothing short of a scam for the most part.

6. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    I agree with ya there. Looks are a big chunk of what makes a game good. Parachute ninja is a good example. Besides that, I really hate when they release a game, and right off the bat tell all this stuff that'll be put in updates. It makes the game seem half baked. I love updates that come after I've beaten the game and want more, but empty promises to trick you into buying it suck (excluding extra control options and small bug fixes. They're good, although these should be in the first release.)

7. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Yes, that's true too, its a bad idea to release a game missing several key features that the devs say will be in an update.

By the time the update comes out, the damage is often done and game has already faded away. Those who weren't going to buy the game without those features will not have bought the game.

The poor initial reviews and poor first impression are tough to overcome.

But I do understand why devs do it. If it's there only income and they're done with the main story for the most part, and have sunk a ton of time into it, they likely want to get it out there to start making some money for thier effort, especially if they are short on cash.

Or they want to see if there is any interest in the game in the first place, whether its worth their time to work on it some more and improve it.

8. Achy

Achy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    #8 Achy, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Haha that's sig worthy!

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #9 Vovin, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010

What? :confused:

Stop talking on my behalf, I can do that myself.

I don't bloddy care about the bloddy app icons.
    It' the app behind that icon, that really counts.

From your text, I'd say that you are really a shallow person who refuses to look under the surface of things.
    I don't feel the need to swank around with my iDevice. The iDevice is no accessoire... it is just a tool.
    Why should I show it to my family or friends?

And I never heard of a person, who rates apps lower because this person dislikes the look of the app icon.
    People doing this should visit a doctor.

10. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    so the take home message is "devs creating well thought and good icons will bring more good than harm"

i dont see anything wrong in that.

11. jstg

jstg Active Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Dock Worker
    Washington
    I'm starting to feel like I'm one of the few who doesn't really care what the icon looks like. Yes, a nice looking icon is obviously better than an ugly icon, but really it's the gameplay that is going to make it or break it for me.

I won't flat out refuse to try a game based on the icon. I mean GTA: CW's icon isn't exactly eye candy

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I'm with you. ;)

@ zamansimba: I don't think so. I guess, most people would say that GTA:CW has a rather ugly icon. But had it any impact on sales? I guess not.

13. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    That such a good answer it should win a posty.:)

14. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Firmware requirements:( Eyes on you Heavy mach 2.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't think that's quite the point though. If you've already heard about a game, seen the screenshots, seen it in action or so on... then of course, a bad icon won't put you off. But what about the thousands of people idly browsing the app store that haven't heard about it? When I make a search, I instinctively click on the nicest looking icons first. It's not me being picky, it's just that bright, well-designed images are more attractive and therefore better at drawing your attention to them.

16. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    :D:D:D:D:D

Love U Vovin!

17. spawn12345

spawn12345 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    YEAH WTF! :mad:

I havent bought the game because of that.

I dont care to update my phone to 3.1.3 because it doesnt add anything.
    If it was 4.0 then thats a whole other matter.

They lose customers this way. And any dev that is so stupid to put in the latest firmware requirement in their games doesnt deserve the money

18. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Exactly. People do it, without realizing it.

Same thing with reviews, people will be drawn to, and give higher ratings to an app with a nice user interface, a nice icon, a nice name etc. A nice icon WILL provoke a more positive reaction in them without them even realizing it. It's not that they mean to be shallow. It's just how people are.

It's the exact same reason why every single ad on tv features absolutely gorgeous people, and every successful product has well thought out logos, even apple. And it absolutely works. If you don't think branding works, if you don't think attractive pictures sell products, you are hopelessly naive.

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Haven't said that. In fact, that's true in some way.
    I said: people, who delete apps because of the look of the icon, they should visit a doctor.
    Read more carefully. ;)

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Love U, too! :D