Basic question about reserving a game name

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jamescam, Mar 30, 2014.

1. jamescam

jamescam Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I will be launching my 1st iOS game in about 45 days and I would like to start building buzz but have a basic question about my game's name. Is there a way to reserve the name in the iOS (and Android) stores to ensure I dont put a lot of effort behind the brand only to find someone else has taken the name i've been pushing and building assets against? Thanks.

2. javamex

javamex Well-Known Member

In iOS, add your app

I don't know about Android, but in iOS, you can add an app as soon as you have the basic metadata, then upload the actual binary at your leisure (up to 6 months after registering the app, as far as I'm aware).

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    There is of course nothing to stop someone using a similar name, or the same name with an extra bit.

For example

Joe Rules
    does stop someone calling their game
    Joe Rules!

4. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Makes sure you have set up your app in itunes connect before you start to advertise it. Creating it in iTunes connect does stop someone using an identical name. But it won't prevent slight variations, just look at the "2048" game, this is like "2048!" and "2048!!" and so on.
    Also make sure your name is going to be the first result when people search for that term, otherwise its a waste doing a big marketing push. I made a game called "Shapes" that was a bit of a mistake, because it was like number 40 or so when you searched "Shapes" and so even when I told people to get my game they just couldn't find it.

5. jamescam

jamescam Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Wow, that stinks. Do you know why it wasnt 1st when people searched for Shapes? Was it an SEO thing?

6. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Shapes is a very common word. It is no surprise that the search would look for the most popular apps related to that key word.

The real answer is you can trademark your name, but that costs and well beyond little indie outfits.

7. Option4Studios

Option4Studios Active Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I trademarked my game name for £150/$250 before we go to Kickstarter to raise investment. So I wouldn't say its beyond little indie outfits, it's just whether you're willing to sacrifice a holiday or something if you have no money ;)

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    That is much less than I thought however you still have the cost of defending that trademark! But that is just a days work which isn't too bad.

I guess it would make it easier to remove copy cat apps from the store with the trademark allowing you take out ones which are close as well (like the candy saga)