Unique artistic games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Primoz, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #1 Primoz, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    Looking for some artistic games. I played Year walk, Limbo, Superbrothers S&S and Waking Mars but it ends here. The games I'm looking for should be heavy in art but also offer a unique gameplay experience, that you couldn't easily put into any classic genre. A good example would also be the upcoming game Tengami.
    Any suggestions?

Year Walk:
    [​IMG]

Limbo:
    [​IMG]

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP:
    [​IMG]

Waking Mars:
    [​IMG]

Another world:
    [​IMG]

Machinarium:
    [​IMG]

(upcoming) Tengami:
    [​IMG]

(upcoming) dreamroom:
    [​IMG]

*links lead to toucharcade forum threads, where you can view more information and pictures about specific games.

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Is waking mars worth 2 bucks?

3. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    It's worth 23719823719087390 bucks.

4. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
  5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    You must try it out to judge. Each person will have his own opinion.

I payed 5 or 4$ for Waking Mars, but couldn't really get into it. I played it for 2 hours but got bored of it after that. The "puzzles" we're just too bland and not much of a challenge. The story is kinda interesting though, but just a good story wasn't enough to keep me hooked. Again, that's just one guy's opinion.

6. lepke

lepke Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Japan
    Kometen and tengami seem cool and i hope to try them out soon, some of the other were a letdown though.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think Autumn Dynasty can fit the description.

8. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    There was a gorgeous racing game called like Draw Racer or something. The colors were black and white. You drew where you wanted your car to go I believe. Anyone remember the name of this game?

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    The one where the environment (the city/buildings) got colored after you completed a circle around it?

10. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    That sounds right.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
  12. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Kairo
    Contre Jour
    God of Blades
    World of Goo
    Zen Bound
    Badland

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #13 Exact-Psience, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    It's hard to determine which ones are "Artistic" and which ones arent. Each game's visuals, to a certain extent, is an artistic production of the team's artist. Even simulating pixel or voxel art requires an artistic talent to get them looking good.

Games with the papercraft visuals are highly artistic. Pre-rendered backgrounds like Chaos Rings series are actual paintings, and they look really good, which can be defined as artistic.

Dream Chaser has pretty dreamy backgrounds and sounds, Infinite Warrior has highly detailed digital art backgrounds, Into the Dead's art style is pretty unique and atmospheric, The Room's high detail main object are a pretty artistic output as well.

Not really sure how to filter titles and suggest them into this thread.

14. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #14 Primoz, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    @Exact Psience - I know what you mean. It's very hard to determine whether a game is "artistic" or it isn't, infact it's impossible to determine this, because everyone sees it in a different way. For that reason I added the requirement that the game must offer a "unique gameplay experience" and that it could not easily be placed into any classic game genre, again that's different to each person, but it helps to narrow the selection of games a little. I also added that I'm not looking for "mini-games" such as Zenbound, for example.