Are there any really scary games in the app store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dogface, Jan 29, 2011.

1. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
  2. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    i looked at the title....and i pooped my pants. Thats is all.

3. Turkeydipking

Turkeydipking Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Student
    Germany
    Just came out and I haven't had a chance to try it, but I heard its quite damn scary;

[REC] 3

The two movies were awesome! I'll be playing tonight and see how it goes, but yeah that and Prisoner 84 are brilliant.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #24 squarezero, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    I edited the title -- as much as I enjoyed the idea of a thread about scary gamers (i.e. Mass Effect fans), that wasn't what the OP intended.

As to scary games, folks have mentioned some good ones
    Let me add the 1112 series (particularly part 3), Prisoner 84, NY Zombies, Fallen Ep 1 (alas, the only one there will ever be), Silent Hill: The Escape (a bad SH game, but definitely scary), and Tactical Soldier: Undead Rising.

EDIT: [REC]3 is definitely scary (and a decent game for the price), but unfortunately it's also broken, at least on the iPhone -- there's a game-killing bug on chapter 5 (of 27).

5. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Well, just recently purchased both Aftermath and NY Zombies. Both really solid games. Not sure about scary, but probably as good as it's going to get on iOS at the moment.

Aftermath is soooooo good, yet still disappointing. It's all the more disappointing because its built on such a strong foundation. This is basically Left 4 Dead on iOS, or it could be. But unfortunately, you never get much time to enjoy the gunplay because you have to spend most of your time running. There's no good way to bottleneck like you could in L4D, and of course...no co-op. :( Yet the game is still so solid. Great zombie action, good controls, and I absolutely love their solution to twin-stick aiming -- using the flashlight to aim in the general direction of the zombies and auto-firing.

NY Zombies really has got a great thing going on in terms of the whole story progression and nice bite-sized levels. The quickturn using the radar is an excellent addition, and it's exactly what I was looking for after getting stopped by an IAP wall in a similar Glu game.

6. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    I didn't think any of the games listed here were scary :( I mean, having played Dead Space on other platforms before, the necromorphs are just appear, shoot, reload, rinse and repeat. They lose their luster after the first few.

The one game that I truly thought was scary on the iOS market was Ellie: Help me out ... please

Yes, it's a point and click adventure game, but the colors, characters and atmosphere will really send a shiver down your spine. Best part is that it's free(except expansion which is IAP)

But seriously, if you wanna play something scary, go download. http://appshopper.com/games/ellie-help-me-outplease

7. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Yeah, I think I remember checking that out some time ago. I didn't spend much time with it, but I'll have to give it another look.

8. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Waiting for a port of Limbo. It was an Xbox live game originally. Frickin' freaky!

9. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Well, after seeing how well Oscura turned out for iOS, I think Limbo could easily translate, and honestly, I'm surprised it didn't come to iOS long ago.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, Oscura is also a pretty scary game, particularly when that horned monster comes after you.

11. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

I did get Oscura but didn't feel it had quite the same amount of tension as Limbo. Might have to give it another go though.