Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dirty Harry Hannahan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #21 tops2, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    Bullet Hell Group's favorite Cave games reponse:

Madbrainz:

Espgaluda 2 quickly became my fave cave game so far. I love the scoring system. Ketsui is one of my faves too but since it's not on the phone... It'd be esp2, bp2, bp1.

the big thing that got me on espgaluda II is that if you hold the slow down button it makes every bullet multiply and come straight at you but cancel when you kill an enemy and skyrocket your multiplier. to me thats like perfect high risk high return execution.

and wow me and syntheticvoid have the exact same order list haha. (i don't count bug panic which might come in before or after deathsmiles...)

I loved how resurection felt and played in arcade. But I must agree the spInning thing in smartphOne is ridiculous. I also agree with your opinion on sp mode on espgaluda. Though I never play either much because I like the feel of playing exactly what was in the arcade. The gold standard of each game so to speak. I'd have much rather had all arcade ports for $5 each and obviously that's what cave feels is best too which is fine with me haha.

2. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011

weehomer:

DoDonPachi always seems to come back as my favorite, maybe because of all the time we spent playing it on the Sega Saturn?

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011

Guise:

My list is also the same as synthetic's, though I'd put Deathsmiles ahead of DDP:BD and maybe DDPR.

ESPGaluda II
    Bug Princess 2
    Bug Princess
    Deathsmiles (here or...)
    DoDonPachi Resurrection
    Deathsmiles (here?)
    DoDonPachi Blissful Death

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011

djflippy:

Wow, I really agonized over my CAVE-orites List. It's very difficult to separate what you've come to know and love about the original versions from the transformation they've gone through, both good and bad, when being ported to the iPhone.

1. Bug Princess 2 - This gets the top spot for me, because I think it's a perfect fit for the iPhone. While the scoring system for Original and Ultra is a bit arbitrary, it's simple enough for anyone to grasp, without degenerating into a spamfest. This is balanced by the complexity and variety offered by Maniac Mode, which is my goto mode. The level design in this title is probably CAVE's best, in my opinion; Stage 3 is close to perfect, the twisting dragon tower hunt is very dynamic, and the final Stage Boss is legendary. And lastly, I just love the insane insect meets dinosaur theme and the accompanying art. This is really a case of the sum of the parts being greater than the whole.

2. DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - Now this is what CAVE is known for: insane levels of difficulty, ridiculous chaining, dense bullet curtains, and just general badassery. While I have a special place in my heart for DoDonPachi on Saturn, this is my favorite in the series. No other company could make this game.

3. Espgaluda II - This is CAVE's must-have title on the iPhone for people like us who savor depth. The single best facet of the game is the scoring system; it's absolutely brilliant. The space of possibility it allows for is massive; it's at the top end of the spectrum, whereas a game like Phoenix HD is at the other end, for example. In addition, you gotta give CAVE credit for putting so much extra love into the Espgaluda II iPhone mode; I must admit, I didn't like the mode at first, because it strayed so far from the original, but it really grew on me. If someone asked me for advice on a single CAVE game to buy and only one, this title would be my recommendation. The replay value is near infinite, it showcases beautifully what makes a CAVE game like no other, and it has simplicity with depth.

4. Bug Princess - This is an interesting case; the PS2 version was quite difficult, I'm told, due to the level of control it offered and the tight chaining required. On iOS, the controls are simplified, but this showcases a seasoned developer that is able to remove a key aspect of the original to adhere to the constraints on a new platform, marketed to a wholly different audience, and not destroy it completely in the process. The true recognition for theme belongs here, because it set up the sequel quite nicely, although not quite as hard-edged, in some ways. That's one of the nice things about it, it eschews the typical macho ignorance most favored in the US, for a softer storytelling approach and a female lead. While it's taken somewhat to the limit in Futari with a snowball fight between the protagonists, it's more sedate here, lol.

5. Deathsmiles - I really don't have much to say about this game, which is probably part of its downfall. It is what it is. Some of the enemies are really interesting...some are, well...Mary Poppins. What can I say? At least it looks good; not sure if any of you have been unfortunate enough to see Deathsmiles IIX, but it's just dreadful to look at. One of CAVE's worst efforts visually, so much so that I claim guilt by association retroactively, lol. Too bad, actually, because the game mechanics in IIX are not terrible, but I digress. It moves down my list for its horizontal presentation, but that's simply a personal preference. What Deathsmiles does bring to the iTable is loot drops and upgrade purchase, which are bold additions to the genre. While these systems weren't universally adored, I give them big ups for their fresh approach.

6. DoDonPachi: Resurrection - While it may not make me very popular here, judging from other lists, I actually think this game is a total spamfest. I feel like it was built from the ground up to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The weapons are like giant, red win buttons. The spinning mechanic to activate the über-hyper is ridiculous. DDP is a great IP and why they would so ham-handedly dumb it down is beyond me. Sorry, not my favorite CAVE game. It's worth noting, though, that every CAVE title is so superior, relative to the competition, that I'm always dying to play anything they put out, including this title. Even at their worst, CAVE is the best. Fanboy much?

*ducks thrown objects*

@tops - Great question; it was surprisingly fun/agonizing to attempt to quantify something that I love so much.

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011

geremy:

DDP-R is the winner for me, but I mostly play arcade mode. The smartphone soundtrack is cave's best, and tilt-sensitive hibachi is ridiculous. Not only is this my favorite cave game it is my favorite video game of all time. Armed Police Batrider is a close second.

Bug Princess (1) is my second favorite. I love the level design and bosses, and the sheer simplicity.

Espgaluda II is amazing. It's a true shmupper's shmup. The reason it doesn't rank higher for me is I'm not into the backstory.

DDP DOJ is great. I feel like I have to use touch-mode for the laser button. The bullets move quickly and their is no bullet cancelling, so it's a stressful play-through. It loads really quickly though so I probably play it more often than some others.

Bug Princess 2 I haven't played enough to comment.

Deathsmiles Played an incredible amount but I question my enjoyment or if I was just grinding for items.

6. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    DoDonPachi Resurrection! The true final boss mechanic wins it for me, although i have never ever reached hibachi yet (kinda hard to get those 45 bee icons), then Deathsmiles at 2nd place

7. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Now that BP2 has been released, it's changed my list around a bit:

1. Still ESPGaluda 2. Complex scoring and challenging gameplay. I actually prefer the original ESPGaluda when playing in mame, but on iOS ESP2 rules.

2. Bug Princess 2. Love the combination of the theme and the relatively simple scoring mechanic which translates well on iOS.

3. DDPDOJ (Blissful Death). I was really surprised to see this ported, but very pleased. Here's hoping to also seeing the original DDP at some point

4. DDPR. I actually didn't mind the spin mechanic...

5. Bug Princess. Again, cool setting.

Way way last - Deathsmiles. I know its prob Cave's most well known and successful game in the West, but I just don't get it.

What does everybody think will be ported next? Progear will never happen (due to the capcom thing), and I don't think Guwange or Ketsui could translate well to the touchscreen (although I'd like to be proven wrong!). My money is on either Muchi Muchi Pork, or Akai Katana. Or an Ibara???

8. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    My top 3:

1. Bug Princess 2 (Mushihimesama Futari!!)

2. Dodonpachi: Blissful Death

3. Bug Princess 1

Special mention for Bug Panic as it's the first Cave lite that I fell in love with and introduced me to the bullet hell world.

9. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    1. Bug Princess 2 (Mushihimesama Futari)
    2. Bug Princess 1
    3. Espgaluda ii (hard scoring system)

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #30 awp69, Apr 10, 2012
    Only have Bug Princess and Bug Panic at this point but love both of them.

Am considering getting Espgaluda II while it's still on sale (and if I can get some more credit). What's the difference from the three versions? Obviously the Arcade version contains just that, but is the only difference between the
    Espgaluda II HD Smartphone Version and the regular Espgaluda II retina graphics? I have a 3GS so obviously retina wouldn't make a difference for me.

Oh and was wondering about Dodonpachi: Blissful Death's restriction to devices with a front facing camera, was that basically just done to restrict it to 4G and up (don't think the camera is really necessary)?

11. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I own them all except for the most recent DDP that released a short time back (not compatible with 3GS), and there's not a single one I don't like. But Deathsmiles is definitely my favorite. Love the action, absolutely love the artwork, but most of all I enjoy the vibe of the game. Tons of content and replay value.

DDP Res is probably next on my list, simply because it just looks and sounds so good, but Esp2 has perhaps my favorite scoring system (Smart Phone mode, anyway).

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Um..I don't own any HD version of ESP2..but sounds like the 2 you're asking about is between only a HD version of the Smartphone game vs the full arcade+smartphone non retina display versions?

I don't have a 3GS so can't confirm the DDPBD question..but there's a lite version so you can try it out. But in the full app description for game..it doesn't list 3GS as a compatible device.. =/

13. Frennis

Frennis Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Sydney
    Deathsmiles is probably still my favourite. Although I got DDPR, EspgaII and Bug Panic before it, Deathsmiles was the first one I got into. I thought the whole atmosphere was fantastic - the way the sound and art came together, delivering a special experience. It reminded me of Miyazaki's Castle of Cagliostro for some reason. The Japanese have a very special way of capturing the vibe of Europe in days gone by. (I don't know if Deathsmiles is supposed to be set in gothic Europe but it sure feels that way.) The art drew me into the gameplay and gradually I grew to appreciate a whole new kind of art there. Since then I have enjoyed them all. With the others I don't have a clue what the stories are about, but I don't care all that much. (Actually it's kind of pleasant. The game remains an aching mystery, generally involving innocent love and vapourisation of some sort.) They all have pretty much everything else I could want in this sort of game, although I should add: Ultra mode on Hell difficulty is just plain embarrassing (LOL) but the shallow end's just fine for me.
    My second favourite is Espgaluda II HD.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    thank you for doing this Tops... nice to have this here for new-comers. =oD

15. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    1) ESP2
    2) Bug Princess 2
    3) Bug Panic

The rest... I just don't love them as much as the said top 3.

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #36 awp69, Apr 10, 2012
    I figured out the ESP 2 versions, but since there are quite a few I didn't really know the difference.

Here's a rundown for other Cave newbies like myself who may want to know:

1. Espgaluda II: Includes both smartphone and arcade versions. 3GS and up.

2. Espgulada II HD: Includes retina versions of both smartphone and arcade versions. It SAYS in the requirements that it's 3GS and up. But the description says Ipad 2 (and assuming 3) only.

3. Espgaluda II Arcade Version: Only arcade version. 3GS and up.

4. Espgaluda II HD Arcade Version: Only arcade version. Like the other HD version, it also says 3GS and up but the description says iPad 2 only.

5. Espgaluda II Smartphone Version: Only smartphone version. 3GS and up.

6. Espgaluda II HD Smartphone Version: Only smartphone version. Again, like the other HD version, it also says 3GS and up but the description says iPad 2 only.

Have no idea if the HD versions actually run on retina enabled phones/iPod Touches. So it may be helpful for anyone who owns the HD versions to confirm. Cave really should have the requirements changed for the HD versions to avoid confusion.

Of course, with my 3GS, I just went for the non HD version to begin with. I'm not sure how big of a difference there is between the arcade/smartphone versions, but opted for the one that has both anyway.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit, but since a lot of newcomers might be browsing it, thought this might be useful.

Yes, I tried to download the Lite of DDPBD directly to my iPhone and it gave me the "requires a device with a front-facing camera" error, but think that it was basically set to that because the 3GS isn't powerful enough to support the game.

17. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Well I guess bug princess is still my favorite only because I havent gotten the second one yet, but ive come to like dodonpachi more when blissfully death came out. Espgaluda 2 Is I guess my second favorite except I still don't understand the scoring and I guess because Ive never played Espgaluda 1(or whatever that is I'm not even sure)

18. TheStark

TheStark Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oh man, this is hard. I love them almost equally, but here we go:

1. DDP Ressurection
    2. BP2
    3. BP
    4. Deathsmiles
    5. ESP II
    6. Bug Panic
    7. DDP Blissful Death

19. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Love them all a lot but after thinking a little my list would be this:

1. DDP Ressurection
    2. Deathsmiles
    3. DDP BD
    4. ESP II
    5. Bug Princess 2
    6. Bug Panic ( this is my favorite DSS on iOS by the way)
    7. Bug Princess

Great games, probably Blissful Death is my second fav but I really appreciate the change of pace that Deathsmile's smartphone mode brings.

20. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I simply adore Cave titles!
    The notifications are my preference ;)

[​IMG]