Crashlands - Butterscotch Shenanigans' next game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JCho133, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Nope. Seth and I aren't fond of hunger systems, at least with how they're usually implemented in survival games. What we've done instead is reduce the player's natural regen as they scale up, such that you actually have to eat/cook things to keep your hp manageable while beating up all manner of critters. It effectively does the same thing but without feeling like an arbitrary punishment for playing.

2. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    This seems to remind me of another survival game, "Don't Starve". Looks like you go around collecting and basically surviving.

Is the beta/alpha still running? Who do I need to get in touch with to play the game? Looks cool!

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That's sounds like a pretty neat system. Can we make donuts?

4. cdkilgore21

cdkilgore21 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Very VERY interested in this! You guys do great work!

5. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    We haven't yet EVEN BEGUN the betalpha. We'll post on here when we need some help in that regard.

Re: Don't Starve, we pulled a bit of inspiration from there, but that's mainly on how to do non-block-based crafting systems, where the world is not completely harvestable (like terraria or minecraft). Turns out that the design for a system like that is roughly the same no matter how you slice it, the differentiating bits end up being how you interpret the rest of the game layer on top of it. You could say Don't Starve is a touchstone for Crashlands, a handy metaphor for understanding the basic gameplay idea, though Crashlands is immensely more forgiving.

"Can we make donuts?"
    NOT YET....hehehehehe

6. cdkilgore21

cdkilgore21 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I'd appreciate it if you guys kept me in mind when the time comes to test. Thanks!!

7. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    The "M" Word - Monetization in Crashlands

HEYO! Back again. Seth and I wanted to divulge all the 'secrets' of our monetization strategy for Crashlands, so we WROTE UP THIS BLOG POST explaining everything.

We've also got a huge environment overhaul coming down the pipes in the next week. I'll post some new gifs soon!

-samuel

8. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Hey!

First of all, give me a beta or a alpha game version right now! Second, maybe make the app free-to-play for android but paid for app store! I would very much pay for the game but only on apple!

9. ButterscotchSeth

ButterscotchSeth Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 28, 2013
    SIR HANET! We stray as far from doing pay-up-front as possible, due to our not-so-successful experiences we had with Towelfight 2. But still, there will be a one-time IAP in Crashlands that will let you gain access TO THE ENTIRE GAME AND EVERYTHING IN IT FOREVER! So it's got a "buy the full game" option, just like pay-up-front has. Check out the blog post!

10. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Oh..

How much will the IAP cost?

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    FYI to any of those people interested in this game, they've been posting bi-weekly updates and the game is looking AWESOME. And they've got Adam, the 3rd Coster bro, on the team working on special effects now that he's all PhD'd out.

http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/?m=1

12. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Thats awesome, can't wait to play Crashlands, they got my support :)
    BTW: I'm a little bit concerned about the beta, it's still going to happen? (Sent my request quite as soon they posted here 'bout them)

13. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
  14. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Freedom?

Tried looking through thread and blog, couldn't find any info. Will there be an open world with story or some type of sandbox mode? Or strictly mission based story?

15. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    #35 Nobunaga, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com

This thread is pretty much dead. Lots of info posted on their site though.

For the question of being open world, the game is separated into "bioms" as I recall. Not exactly open world. Should leave a lot of room for exploration though.

Edit: If you go back to earlier posts it discuss the new payment model for this and all of their future projects.
    Good news, looks like they are going premium in a roundabout way.

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Awesome, thanks for the update Nobunga

17. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Wow, I am sure glad that I stumbled across this gem. This looks like it could be the best game of 2015. Plus, coming from BS, I am expecting good things. :D

18. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    "Tried looking through thread and blog, couldn't find any info. Will there be an open world with story or some type of sandbox mode? Or strictly mission based story?"

HEYOOOHOOO! We haven't been here in AGES *STREEEEEEEEEEETCH*. How are y'all doing?

As Nobunga lovingly pointed out for us, we've got a bunch of new info about the game. I'll collapse it all in one post here so people coming in can get an idea.

Alpha Trailer with lots of Gameplay

Crashlands is an open-world (3 infinite biomes: Savannah, Bawg, and Tundra) sandboxxy crafting action-adventure where you play as Flux Dabes, a scientist explorer checking out a space anomaly. There will be an epic story involving 'Q', an alien along the forms of Forn & Jobi from Towelfight 2 and Pete from Quadropus Rampage. Boss fights, evil things, the works.

We finished alpha back in October, which concluded with a fistful of testers clocking over 24 hours of gameplay and only making it halfway into the Bawg (2nd biome). This game is enormous.

We then took a 3 month hiatus to develop our BscotchID system. It's like a steam library / friend and leaderboard / cloud storage / cross-game achievement system (info here). Basically, you'll be able to unlock content in Game 1 by doing something badass in Game 2. Like gaining the ability to shoot Pete out of your face in Towelfight by defeating him in Quadropus.

[​IMG]

WHY did we do that? We're tired of free-to-play (Check out Adam's Why we can't have nice things for an in-depth look at our financials and what the mobile industry is like). It sucks for us, and for you. BscotchID is our way of navigating the current market to do the premium experience we want, while adding additional value to our games.

We then had to complete our port to iOS, which finished LITERALLY YESTERDAY. We'll actually be launching a new game called Flop Rocket (already on android) on iTunes in a week or so. But shhh, no one knows yet.

So now we're back in the saddle on Crashlands, pumping out the story content and a bunch of other things I can't talk about just yet.

We are indeed aiming for this to be the best mobile game of 2015, as well as the best crafting game across all platforms (did we mention we're doing Steam? because we are).

On the personal Bscotch front, lots of news. Adam, our 3rd brother and a PhD in molecular biology, joined the team last July. He's the brains behind BscotchID. I got engaged and remain cancer-free (yisss), and Seth has adopted a dog that eats literally anything.

More crashlands design articles for your perusal:
    How we designed BUILDING of stuff to not be a pain
    Recent changes to how recipes and crafting work
    Recent changes detailing how combat has changed

Freakin' keep in touch, and we'll do better, too.

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Good gravy! I didn't think you'd be able to crunch all the new infor from your site into a single post, but you did it!

Quick question... How is "Dabes" pronounced?

Roll on Flop Rocket!

20. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    Dude this game will be awesome just as all your games are I cant wait...Also congrats on being cancer free. We don't need no stupid cancer up in here... And I am glad the game will be premium i will pay for anything you guys make...Free to play or not I donated on android and ios for Quad rampage cause its just a amazing dungeon crawler platformer!