To all developers who wanna make some serious dollar

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Borgqueenx, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    #1 Borgqueenx, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Look at the new released tech demo of the unreal engine on iphone. and build a game with it. oh, and do it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
    The first game with this engine will be like pure gold & diamonds coming from the shower!
    OMG this is really to beautiful, i want UT3 Engine games nowwwwwww:eek:

EDIT: Make a FPS game with beauty like this and il be happy to pay 20 euro's or more!

2. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I believe it cost about a million dollars to license unreal engine on consoles. Not sure what the price is for iPhone but a game will probably need to sell at 20 euros a copy to make back any money.

3. It is free to use the UDK. There is a percentage royalty though once you release a game.

Not sure if the same percentage will apply to iOS games, but I've read that it is 25% on consoles.

4. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I like that business model...

Free to use and develop and have them take a percentage. Some engines are pretty expensive for the advance features and a lot of indies can't foot the bill up front.

5. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Also don't forget that this was just a demo. It takes A LOT to go from a demo to an actual game, and several developers have had issues with Unreal Engine 3 not delivering on features they promised.

Now if Epic release a game themselves, that will be a different matter.

6. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

And it was a demo that: "...a small team of Epic’s programmers, artists and testers created “Epic Citadel” in just eight weeks of development time."

If that small team consisted of 7 people it translate to more than a year's worth of man hours. And that's for a project with zero gameplay...

For the majority of iPhone developers something like this would be a huge undertaking. No doubt we'll see some stellar games with this technology but it requires some substantial investements both in time and money...

7. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    And don't forget that you need a few years to understand the engine and being able to make assets, shaders etc .of that quality. Still quite interesting new engine :D

8. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    It is a very nice demo, but it is the quality of the artwork that is stand-out as much as it is the game engine. Don't assume that you will get that quality just from using the Unreal engine.

9. TehUser

TehUser New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I agree with Moonjump, and at the same time I think heavy 3D games on the iPhone are just somewhat of a waste of the mobile phones battery life. I would rather play games with 2D graphics, similar to the DS graphics that will last longer than games that can only last me say 2 hours with amazing PC graphics. That is what my PS3 is for.