Do you consider our app a game or not a game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by blue ox, May 5, 2010.

?

Is Trivia Hound a game?

Poll closed May 8, 2010.
  1. It's a game. List it under Trivia Games on the App Store.

42.9%
  2. It's a game, but list it under Reference on the App Store.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's not a game. List it under Reference on the App Store.

28.6%
  4. It's not a game, but list it under Trivia Games on the App Store.

28.6%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    #1 blue ox, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
    Hi,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion of our recently released app Trivia Hound. It's a trivia app that we originally conceptualized as "not a game, but lots of fun."

It will be a free app for the next few days, then we are pulling it from the store to release a new paid version.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this app is best listed under the Trivia Games category or under another category such as Reference on the App Store. We don't want to disappoint people who expecting a game format.

Could you please download it and offer your opinion?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trivia-hound/id362074353?mt=8

BTW We are terminating the free with in-app purchase model next week and going with a paid with unlimited updates model.

Thanks,

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

It's a game if you play other people at it or there's a score/timer - otherwise it's a trivia/information app.

3. Kind of hard to say. A deck of playing cards is not a game in and of itself but it's always found in the game section as it's used to play games. On the other hand, trivia cards aren't an abstract that can be used by themselves to play a variety of games. I'd have to go with "not a game" though because there is no goal (other than possibly finding someone to answer trivia questions) and no other mechanic available to reach one. Trivia cards are just a part of the concept that defines a more complete game.