ios 4.2

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dogface, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Any news on this?

2. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Sometime shortly, considering the iOS 4.2 Gold Master (GM) was seeded a few days ago to devs.

Before the end of November, definitely.

3. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Can't wait for apps to start crashing and bugging out. Not every dev will update their apps... :( I got an update a couple weeks ago for some app, I don't remember name of, that included fixes for 4.2.

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #4 tsharpfilm, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    Why do these iOS updates always cause so many problems with apps? Aren't they suppose to make them run better? Instead, they always cause problems, and force developers to rush to make everything compatible again.

5. What is expected to be dramatically different that will cause problems with apps that 4.1 didn't have? I can only see it having major differences on the iPad, and many developers have already updated their iPad-specific apps to support 4.2.

6. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    API changes.

In layman's terms:

Let's say a API that connects to a server. The previous syntax could be:
    connect_to_server[IP, port]

The new API in 4.2 could be
    connect_to_server[IP:port]

7. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Apple gives the developers heaps of time to update their apps before the update goes public, so it's their fault if it doesn't work.

8. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I don't like your logic. :(

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Ah, yes... the dreaded tongue face port. Scares the crap out of the entire app world, I tell ya' :eek:

10. dogface

I thought yesterday was the highly rumoured release date. Why the hush hush?

11. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    I believe it comes out this Friday.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Maybe I'll put off getting an iPad til next week - save me an hour updating!

13. dogface

I hope so because I've been told it turns your iPod Touch into a Mac-book Air and then back again whenever you want it to just by whispering "air" into the mic.

14. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    What? What are you talking about? That's preposterous... Only thing I've heard like that is that if you get into Voice Control mode on a compatible device, if you say "Surprise me", your iDevice turns into a Macbook Pro. Macbook Air, though? I just don't see how that's possible.

15. g-unit-14

g-unit-14 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    iOS 4.2 is only for IPAD no????or iphone is well???

16. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Friday? That soon? Well I'd better stop my giant iPad cleaning, having some folder would help see it differently.

17. cloudlesssky22

cloudlesssky22 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    That's what I thought too... Is this not the case? What's going to be new on iOS 4.2?

18. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    iPad iOS 4.2 Features

Multitasking
    Run all your favorite apps — and switch between them instantly — without slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.2

Folders
    Organize apps into folders with drag-and-drop simplicity. Get faster access to your favorites and browse and manage thousands of apps.

AirPrint
    Print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to a printer on a wireless network.

AirPlay
    Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express.

Game Center
    Experience social gaming on your iPad. Find friends or use auto-match to play multiplayer games against new opponents. Track achievements and compare high scores.

Even better Mail
    See messages from all your accounts in a unified inbox, organize messages by threads, and open attachments in third-party apps.

Find text on web pages
    In Safari, easily find and highlight specific words and phrases on large web pages.

Enhanced enterprise support
    Businesses can take advantage of stronger security features, new device management capabilities, and improved enterprise integration.

Accessibility enhancements
    Control VoiceOver using a wireless keyboard. Output in braille to over 30 supported
    wireless Bluetooth refreshable braille displays in more than 25 languages.

Keyboard and dictionary enhancements
    Choose from more than 30 new keyboards and dictionaries, including Arabic, Greek, and Hebrew.

19. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Saw an ios4.2 update on one of my apps....coming VERY soon

20. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    What features do you think will be on ios 4.2 for 2g ipod touches?