Favourite Roguelikes?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Avatre, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I realise there have been other threads about the same thing, but the ones I found were back in 2010. I apologise if there are any newer.

I really like Heroes of Loot and Hero Siege and was waiting impatiently to pounce on Hell, The Dungeon Again, but that seems to have been pulled or is a soft release or something. I've been eyeing Cavern for some time but I'm not sure about that and I missed the sale by a day.

I like the graphical style and rpg system named in Hell, The dungeon Again, is there any others like that out? I also liked that there was an option to play easy mode, without permadeath (I'm a bit of a wimp)

I was wondering if you could please name some of your favourites now? (sorry, I can never seem to make these things short and to the point!)

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I never see Heroes of Loot as a roguelike, but it does have some of its mechanics. Same with Hero Siege. The latter more a dual stick shooter/RPG hybrid with a few roguelike mechanics.

For strict roguelikes i really like the ff:

Cardinal Quest 1
    Cardinal Quest 2 (on soft launch, coming soon worldwide)
    Dungelot (1, not 2. Maybe 2 when things get better post update)
    100 Rogues

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Hoplite is a fantastic deep tactical turn-based roguelike. Very strategic, almost chess-like

And anther great game I discovered recently is bit Dungeon. Fast, nice touch controls, charming visuals, great variety and challenge

4. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I've nearly bought Hotlite quite a few times but I don't really like tactical and having to think about where and how to move and I read that's pretty unforgiving if you just blunder along. I've tried CQ1 and 2 and I like them both, but they never really draw me back, same with 100 rogues and Dungelot.

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Off the top of me head:

Cavern (truly one of IOS's gems - YOU MUST play this)
    Dungeonism (love the style and it's more casual but very fun)
    Sword of Fargoal (classic remade, MASSIVE dungeons)
    Brogue (nuff said)
    100 Rogues (haven't played it in years though, not sure if it's now stable)
    Solomon's Keep (action-roguelike)
    Cardinal QUest 1 and 2

6. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    The last review on the AppStore says that cavern is broken and crashes constantly after the latest update. Can anyone confirm if it works now?

7. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    868-HACK is one of the best. And another vote for Dungeonism -- not a traditional roguelike, but a terrific game that borrows a few things from the genre.

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I have 10-15 rogue type games and I played Brogue the most.

9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I second this statement.

10. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    For iOS it would be 100 Rogues; I haven't played but a few others. It a real shame there aren't more ASCII games being ported over form PC.

11. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Great, now I have the Dungeonism music stuck in my head.

Damn it!

12. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #12 cplr, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    868-HACK is the best of the bunch. While optimized for touch devices, it belongs in top 5 roguelikes of all time / all platforms. Yes, it's worth the price. Support the developer.

Brogue is also really good, but iPad only and is really a desktop roguelike - not as good with a touch interface. But still really deep. And it's free.

WazHack, zaga33, Cavern, Mysterious Castle, Cardinal Quest are all others that are quite good.

Keep an eye out for FTL which will be out any day now. It'll make the touch arcade front page news, so you won't miss it :).

Oh, and also keep an eye out for Wayward Souls from Rocketcat games (http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/03/wayward-souls-being-submitted/). Also, Death Road to Canada from Rocketcat. http://www.deathroadtocanada.com

The thing that I find concerning is your statement "but I don't really like tactical and having to think about where and how to move" - that is the essence of all good roguelikes. If you don't like it because you think you are bad at it, well, everyone is bad at first (I am not that great at 868-HACK but will never stop playing it), but you learn from your mistakes and you get better. It's kind of the point of roguelikes after all (die, and then try, try, try again).

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Never had that issue and I played it this morning.

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Cavern is great and very stable on my iPod Touch 5G running iOS 7.0.2; Cavern is an essenial iOS roguelike.

WazHack is mind blowing in being amazing.

How come no one likes Legends of Yore anymore?

15. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Agree 100% with Brogue. Awesome app.

Sword of Fargoal and Solomon's Keep are also good. Not turn-based like Brogue or nethack, though.

16. ZugZug

ZugZug Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Was hooked on mysterious castle for awhile. Very fun.

17. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Sword of Fargoal is turn based and in every sense a Roguelike.
    A little list of some good Roguelikes, mostly mentioned previously.
    -Cardinal Quest 1 and 2. 1 has serious issues on 5th gen phones and iPods.
    -100 Rogues/Trials.
    -Sword of Fargoal.
    -Rogue Ninja. Not mentioned before and a fairly good game.
    -Legends of Yore. By far one of the most underrated and forgotten Roguelikes. Also one of the best. Thanks to UC for reminding me about it. It was second page in my rogue folder. Moved it back to page one and spent some time on it last night.

For more of an action dual stick twist, Solomon's keep/boneyard are my favourite. Quadropus Rampage and Heroes Seige are great. Heroes of loot and bit Dungeon are both good options too.

For upcoming ones (hopefully they all get a release), Spirit Hunter Mineko, Fargoal 2, Quest of Dungeons, Hell, the Dungeon again. I'm sure I'm missing a few. A good listing of upcoming Roguelikes would be great. Oh, also a rerelease of Solomon's boneyard... Solomon Dark... Hopefully.

18. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    a supercool rougelike for ipad that is comming "soon" is lich tower of doom :) webpage in my sig.

a bit different setup, but lots of varied enemies and stuff to find, and ridiculous amount of frames on main hero.

how "soon" is soon ? well, unfortunatly I used a smaller framework for development, and it needs external final build for upload to appstore. promised was a 24 hr turnaround, it is now 19 days since I sent for build and alpstoreupload.. sigh.. anyway.. lets hope it does not take too much longer, first expansion is not far from being completed haha.

19. Pete Martell

Pete Martell Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2014
    I love hoplite :)

20. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I don't really consider it a Roguelike. It has elements, but to me that's the same sort of one-drop mentality as calling an endless runner with leveling an RPG.