Need college consulting help...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Nidol, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Nidol

Nidol Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    I'm a genius(lol nah Jk I'm fairly smart though) senior student with a huge problem: deciding on colleges, it's driving me crazy...please help.

My first main issue is if I should apply to University of California Santa Barbara.
    I'm fairly positive ill get accepted, about 80% but compared to other schools that I have the same ability of getting in it comes last on my list so someone please tell me yes or no...

I have until tomorrow and if only an extra 70$ but that's still 70$. I don't want to waste it but I do have imterest in the school just not as much as the others so I don't know. Other schools in this I'm almost positive ill get accepted are Ohio State, UCLA, Berkeley, UNC

I am applying to even more schools which are more selective but that will come after someone suggests dropping or keeping Santa Barbara . Thanks all!

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That's a very specific question to be asking on a forum frequented by visitors all over the world, don't you think?

3. Nidol

Nidol Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    I actually completely agree but I have no other options, I'm open to any suggestions by anybody. I'm just stuck. So even someone from Switzerland saying no will factor I don't care I just need opinions or a tally or something... Thanks

4. #4 Connector, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    My sister went to UCSB, it is a pretty campus. It is on the coast, so that is a plus. It has a notarious reputation as a party school. My sister complained about how many students took drugs and just wanted to party all the time.

She wanted to get into UCLA, but didn't get into UCLA, UCSB was her second choice. You seem confident you will get into UCLA and UC Berkeley, but beware, they are very hard to get into nowadays. You had better apply to UCSB as a backup regardless.

UC Berkeley is well known for the academics, but also for the abundance of nerds and the campus isn't that nice. The weather too is a little cold during the winters. A good academic university. Plus, you can take the subway to downtown San Francisco which is pretty cool. The bay is really pretty with things to see like the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatrez, and Pier 39.

UCLA has one of the best looking campuses all throughout the world, academics is getting better not quite UC Berkeley level, but close. Great weather, and a good overall university. It is close to Bel Air, Beverly Hills, and downtown LA. It has the most applications of any university throughout the whole world, so the popularity is going up every year and with that, it's reputation for academics.

If I were you, I would apply to all three and see which you get into, and decide then. Until you get accepted, you really never know where you will go, and it is good to be able to make a more informed decision later.

5. Nidol

Nidol Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Thank you soo much, I really appreciate your extensive-ness and detail. I decided to drop Santa Barbara, its very beautiful but besides that its not for me, thank you again. My two top picks are Stanford and University of Chicago which I'm sort if banking on both but we'll see. That actually helped a lot.. For now anyway haha.

6. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #6 HardcoreEricXXX, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Some people may disagree with this suggestion, but if you have a good community (junior) college nearby, save your money and go there. If you come out of there magna cum laude (shoot, even cum laude), any university will be happy to take you in. If you can forego the social experience, and are dedicated to your acedemics, I think you come out a much better student. If you end up looking at a masters, you'll be happy you saved that money.
    This is the point of view coming from Virginia. I know many states have opportunities for reduced tuition if you have good grades in high school. I just wasn't sure how that worked in California.

7. #7 Connector, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Wow, you must have some good grades. Stanford is pretty hard to get into. It is a pretty prestigious university on par to the ivy schools. I was thinking about going there but the high cost of tuition stopped me. The campus was nice when I went there. Close to SF too, so that is nice.

Chicago is way too cold for me in the winter. I would recommend Stanford if you can get in. It is an excellent school and I remember when my parents took me there when I was in high school. Looking back on it, I should have applied to Stanford and Princeton as my parents wanted. Just the high costs kind of scared me at the time. But I should have spent the extra time and money to apply when I had the chance.

8. Nidol

Nidol Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    #8 Nidol, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Yeah everywhere these days is expensive, it's a shame, but I thankfully sent my California apps last night. It wasn't that hard to complete and I think I wrote some really stellar essays, so hopefully the admissions agrees and I have an opportunity to choose between some great schools. Anyway thanks for help and ill be back on here shortly if I should need more.