Appoday?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Clash Force, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Clash Force

Clash Force Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Been contacted by them. Any experiences? I'm assuming it's not free (for me) and would require giving my game away for free. I have heard about other app promotion tools like this, but am specifically interested in appoday. Various searches have returned nothing feedback or experience wise.

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    They did better than FAAD did for Pickpawcket. They do cost a little more though. They offered us a discount for installing an SDK of theirs to track installs and displays an ad when the app loads, I'd advise AGAINST going that route. It was terribly slow and crashy... almost all of our 1 star reviews are because of that SDK of thiers.

Otherwise, it was a good experience and I believe we'll be running with them instead of FAAD for future promotions.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I am starting campaign with them tomorrow so I will post my impressions. So far they have been very professional and it seems they are taking their service more seriously than many other competitors. They are quite pricey though.

4. odaSoft

odaSoft Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    iOS developer
    Argentina
    Great! Could you please tell us about your experience with them?

Thanks!

5. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I heard that for FAAD it was something like 8000...?

Maybe it's 10k then for Appoday...??

6. frankywhite

frankywhite Member

Sep 8, 2012
    London
    As the game got promoted as free did they get it to the Nr 1 spot in the paid or the free games category? If the dev later wantsnto go back to paid the game gets removed from the free games ranking?

7. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    We were also quoted 6000 for a paid app with IAP

8. frankywhite

frankywhite Member

Sep 8, 2012
    London
    is appoday a larger network than FAAD?
    is that why you believe that appoday is more expensive?

9. StaggerLee

I can't discuss their prices but I can confirm two things. First, their reach is smaller than FAAD and second they are very professional and easy to work with. Under right terms, I would run campaign with them again.

10. StaggerLee

In context of comparison to FAAD, this is totally irrelevant. And conversion is just slightly higher, especially considering the fact that Appoday is available just in countries that have a good conversion rates.

11. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Oh? I didn't realize they were limited in the number of countries.

For me... they netted us almost 20% more users during the 3 days we were free, vs the 5 days we were free for FAAD.

12. StaggerLee

Very strange. But you don't really know where you users are coming from - when you switch your game to free there are dozens of major sites and apps that will pick that up and generate the traffic.
    Also, did you run the same game through both services ?

13. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Same game, both services. 4 months apart (give or take a week or two).

You're right though, since I don't know where exactly the downloads came from it could have been a coincidence, though I'd suggest that since the first promotion was with FAAD, they would have had the advantage.

14. mozzarello

mozzarello New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Developer
    Great info

This is very interesting. Is the money upfront or revenue sharing after promotion?

15. DiVaio

DiVaio New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    From what I know, they only agree to work with upfront fee. I had the experience with Appoday recently, but the result is quite far from what I was expecting, actually not good. ;)

16. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    I had a Skype call with them yesterday. Very professional presentation from their side indeed. They work on CPI model and have much more channels than an iOS app. They are willing to help you with whole promotion process, however they also require polished game from your side.

Can't say more since we are going to sign NDA and I fully understood that when they showed me big developers and publishers they work with. Our game will be published around summer 2013 and we will probably try them during launch.

However, you should definitely contact them - they are willing to explain how everything works. Whole communication process was much better than my experience with FAAD.

17. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It was 10K back in the days when they were the only one around... 6K is still a crazy amount..

18. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Spend your money on a marketing team for that much rather than some scam that gives your apps away for free... It's not worth the effort to hand out that many pieces of software to people to hope your exposure or your word of mouth extends anywhere past the eyes of the person downloading the game.

With all the app trackers out there no one will talk about your game enough to get back the 10s to 100s of thousands of dollars you're forking out in free software. They will just rape you of your work and then move on to the next days offering. This just isn't working for devs...

19. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I am not a dev but +1 to that point.
    Also reward (right word?) early adopters not put it free or on sale a month after it releases
    I am happy to pay so long as I get at least 3 months before it goes on sale.

20. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    yeah it's unfortunate that putting your game on sale isn't just for the sake of creating and driving interest through a discounted price, but you have to consider the immediacy of a release... when it comes out you can see how well you're doing almost up to the hour. If you aren't seeing any movement then you will sink further into the muck of the app store.

More importantly though when you switch to a lower price you get picked up by price bots that blast out to everyone that your app has lowered in price. That is free blanket marketing right there that will allow you to be exposed...so don't take it personally when you see something like that happen. It's just the dev trying to manipulate the app trackers out there to give them free advertising in the lists.