iPad 4th generation discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Infernado, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Personally, I like the term newer for ipad 4, and then newest for ipad 5. After that, I hope Apple gets its head out of ars and starts using numbers again. When I go shopping for stuff for my new ipad, I get really confused.

Most stuff is marked new ipad, some stuff says ipad 3, some stuff says ipad, some stuff says ipad, 3rd generation.

To protest, I will always call my ipad the new ipad. It's a joke name to me anyway, at least this time they don't seem to be calling the ipad 4, the new ipad like they did with the ipad 3.

As far as I am concerned, ipad is like a computer, every iteration has to be clear for hardware configs, and compatibility for apps. Crazy not to have a consistant terminology for the ipads. At least iphone still does. Why ipad doesn't, I got no clue.

Congrats on getting your newer ipad. Let us know how much better it is than the new ipad. I really am a little jealous cause the horsepower seems much better which is the biggest flaw to me of the new ipad.

But I doubt if I will upgrade, so I will have to wait for the newest ipad, the fabled ipad 5.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Only the Touch really does. iPhone 5 is the 6th generation iPhone ;)

3. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #83 Rip73, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    Never mind, miss post.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    what i don't understand it whats so difficult to understand about the naming of the ipad..

apple made an error calling the ipad 2nd gen "ipad 2"

all products except the iphone where always called "product name", "x th generation"

so they switched the ipad to their normal naming conventions..

the "new" ipad.. is always the lastest.. its not the ipad, 3rd gen.. so the new ipad is currently the 4th gen.. not so hard.. all other products are names the same..

the iphone itself it completely bonkers from a name convention.. because it started with the iphone, then iphone 3g which showed that it supports 3g networks (and not that its the 3rd generation) , then game the 3gs as a refresh and then a iphone 4 which is a number and not related to actual network technology and continued with the 4s and 5..

so everything except the iphone is actually named "properly" in apple terms

so the new, newest, best whatever ipad is currenty the 4th gen :)

so easy.. :D

5. SlightReturn

SlightReturn Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    I agree, it was a stupid and incredibly confusing decision to not call the spring 2012 version the iPad3 and this one the iPad4 (or 3s, really). You've hit the nail on the head for the explanation as to why it's so stupid. When you're shopping for accessories, it's already confusing since there are so many different versions, when the versions aren't properly labeled and easy to differentiate from each other, that problem is magnified tenfold.

I don't care what Apple wants us to call it, I've always referred to the spring 2012 iPad as iPad3, and I'll always refer to this one as iPad4. At least the people I'm talking to won't be utterly confused..... I hope.

Speaking of iPad4, got mine ordered, white/wi-fi/64gb. Can't wait for Friday. I've gotten 2.5 great years out of my iPad1, but it's time to update and I'm excited.

6. SlightReturn

May 15, 2012
    Yeah, piece of cake! :eek: :D

7. #87 Connector, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    Totally not true. If that were the case, Apple would be calling their ipad 4 the new ipad, which they don't. They just call it ipad.

And go to stores right now, almost ALL ipad 3 accesories are marked as "new ipad".

So what you are saying is totally false. Also if your logic stands, then my new ipad should be called "ipad" cause ipad 4 is called "new ipad".

Anyway, to protest all this bs of Apples, I Will always call my ipad the new ipad no matter how old it is and confusing it is, cause that was the official name at launch. Oh how I wanted it to be called The ipad 3, cause it's shorter.

But new ipad it is, no matter what anyone says. :)

8. #88 Connector, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    Congrats on your decision to buy the ipad 3s!!! ;)

Going from the ipad, oldest generation to the newer ipad will be great, you will love the retina screen! My biggest problem with my new ipad is not the cpu, since only a very small handful of games have cpu gpu problems. It is disk space, I need 128gb min, so I will have to wait for the ipad 5, and hopefully it will have an sd card slot in it too.

But I'm jealous that you got the ipad 3s!!!!!!!!!

9. SlightReturn

May 15, 2012
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I wouldn't have gotten this one if I had upgraded in March, which I almost did. I was about ready to pull the trigger on the iPad3 upon release when I got offered a basically free iPad2. Unfortunately, that fell through shortly after, but it gave me time to rethink my decision on the 3, and I decided to wait until the spring 2013 iPad instead. I've known for months that I was going to get the next iPad, it was just a matter of when the 4th one would be available.

I agree about the disk space. It's surprising that they haven't upgraded the options on that since the iPad originally debuted. While 64GB is probably enough for me, I would've jumped on a 128 if given the option. Though, an SD card slot would be even more desirable since it would essentially give you unlimited space, provided you were willing to buy the extra cards.

10. Yeah, while I am sure the cpu/gpu increase will help alot, it mainly pertains to the 2 gb gameloft 3d titles, and unfortunately, due to disk space problems, I try to only have a max of 5 titles of these 2 gb monsters on my new ipad cause that is close 10 gbs by itself. And usually these games play fine on my new ipad, just have slight framerate problems which I can ignore, since I am not really that big of a FPS fan.

But I am jealous a little, the ipad is what the new ipad should have always been. And it seems that if I sold my new ipad, I would lost about $200 which is kind of a lot, figure I would rather buy 200 one dollar apps, which rarely need cpu/gpu power. Or I can use the $200 to buy an ipad 5.

But actually as Mr. ugly stated before, you guys are probably better off being on the even cycles, ipad 2, ipad 4, etc, cause they are usually more upgrade models that have solid performances. The new ipad while it was great in its day with the retina screen, had some flaws, like the cpu/gpu problem, heat, and weight issues.

But all and all, the new ipad works well overall, and really the main complaint to me is disk space since I have so many apps, and it is a pain trying to figure out everyday what to delete.

Nova 3, modern combat 3, galaxy on fire 2, while I love them, can't keep on my ipad due to disk space. The only game that I play alot that may or may not be aided by the ipad 4 is Virtua Tennis and Asphalt 7.

I really wonder if either of those two games will play better on ipad. Asphalt 7 for the most part plays fine on my new ipad, but Virtua tennis does kind of clunk along. This is one game where I would be a little curious to see if it plays well on the ipad 4.

So yeah, a little jealous, but it's not a nagging craving or anything. Enjoy your ipad 4, I know the first week, I'll be at the applestore eyeing it for sure.

Actually someday, I too may be forced into the ipad 4 too, since I have apple care plus, the day my new ipad breaks, I think they will probably give me an ipad 4 replacement since they are discontinueing the new ipad. Or so I hope. So this upgrade may not be all that bad for all of us. $50 is better to pay to upgrade to an ipad 4 if my new ipad breaks, vs losing $200 to upgrade now. I will be curious to see apple care plus works this way.

Anyway, good luck with your ipad 4, let us know what you think after you get it!

11. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

the ipad 3 never had the official name "new" ipad.. i mean you have it .. maybe do yourself a favour and check its package.. what is printed on it..

they called it "new" in the adds because the dropped the number which would confuse people because it was ipad (1st gen) -> ipad2 (2nd gen) - ipad (3rd gen)

so whats there not to understand? of course you can call it whatever you want.. but the official name is "iPad" nothing more nothing less..

anf the apporach apple has here was to make the customers actually less confused.. (well in theory it makes sense)

you go into an apple store and want to buy an ipad and you'd always get the "latest" version..

as for what other might or might not call them.. who cares if store x has it wrong?

people still call it ipad 3 and ipad 4..

btw if you check the compatibility list of accessories on the offical apple page (where else) you'll find a nice list of the official names

for example here http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA591G/B/apple-30-pin-to-usb-cable?fnode=3a

.. tnen of course if you'd stop to play the gmeloft garbage (imho hehe) you'd be alot happier with the ipad3, new ipad , ipad 3th gen, ipad with retina screen but not really up to the task cpu/gpu ;)

well half a year ago we talked inhouse about the ipad3 alot and it reminded me of the ipad1 which also was underpowered for its screen & resolution , not to mention the lack of ram.. and the ipad2 was actually the first really enjoyable ipad from all angles (gaming, browsing, etc.)

what will be actually interesting is how and if the low specs of the ipad mini will hold back developers in the future since its a "brand new" device with 1,5 year old specs.. but then as long as it does not get a retina display with an a5x it should be good to go for some time if devs keep optimizing

12. Mr. Ugly,

Yes thank god for the ipad mini having the a5, that really put me at ease. That means my new ipad won't be extinct, cause I really doubt that devlopers will push the limits if games don't run well on it. They will not risk getting all those one star reviews from ipad mini and new ipad users.

So thank god for the ipad mini. If it had gotten the a6x, then the new ipad might have been left for dead, but now I feel more at ease, until I can get an ipad 5. I really wish they will have a 256 gb version or an external sd card cause if the ipad 5 has an a7x cpu/gpu, I could see apple raising the limit of games to 4 gb.

But yeah, you are right about getting on the even cycle of ipads, somehow I seem to be off track, haha. I really am curious to see how the hardcore games are on it framerate wise and how the screen will look compared to the new ipad.

And you are right, looks like Apple is retreating a bit and using the x generation after the ipad name now. But I sure the hell won't type I got an ipad, 3rd generation, everytime I post. Bah, Apple started this madness, I will always call my ipad the new ipad. Would have rather called it an ipad 3, and I see that almost everyone is using the incorrect term of ipad 4 instead of ipad, 4th generation, so I guess I will to.

Maybe it is better too that the new ipad will be discontinued so apple care plus will be forced to give us ipad 4's if our new ipads break. That wouldn't be so bad.

Curious to see what the ipad 4 is like. But thank god for the ipad mini having an a5, cause that makes me feel much better about my new ipad not becoming extinct.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Any delays in shipping for the wifi ipad? Preordered mine on saturday and it's wedsnday and still is "preparing for shipment". Ugh.

14. SlightReturn

May 15, 2012
    The "preparing for shipment" stage is somewhat of a misnomer. As long as your delivery date still says 11/2, you'll be good. It's very likely that your device is already en route, but they just haven't changed that yet.

They did sell out the pre-orders though, but not until yesterday I believe. If you ordered after the pre-orders were taken, it's probably going to be at least a couple weeks.

15. SlightReturn

May 15, 2012
    Check your status again, JBRUU. Mine has now updated to "shipped." Actually left on the 30th.

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I went into several stores here in NZ asking about the iPad 4th gen, and what most of them have told me is the same. Nobody knows when they'll be getting the new 4th gen. Most have told me to come in at around midday and ask again, since they get new stock throughout the day and Apple is tight-lipped about their new device deliveries until they arrive at the door.

Still, about 12-15 hours from now I should have my hands on an iPad, and probably before most of y'all from other countries*. Muahahahahaha!

*Excluding those who stay up for a midnight launch in the US. Too bad we don't have a single Apple store here...

17. You know, Apple has really raised New Zealand's reputation sky high because they seem to get everything first. Never would have given New Zealand much thought, but nowadays I see your country every single day on the threads. Strange...

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Ouch. Feels bad, man.

It's only thanks to the forum, not Apple, hehe.
    (and hey, for being NZ, we might as well get something cool every once in a while, right?)

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Ah. Mine updated to shipped as well, actually left on the 29th. Guess Apple didn't bother updating it until now :rolleyes:. Thanks for your help.

20. SlightReturn

May 15, 2012
    I think they wait to update the status intentionally so people aren't wondering why their package is just sitting at the FedEx facility in Memphis. Though, instead they wonder why their package is still preparing to ship, so I'm not sure it really matters.

Mine's scheduled by 3pm tomorrow, I'm getting antsy!