iPad Keyboard Case thoughts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Pman, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Forewarning - this is NOT an advertisement thread, just a thoughts thread.

Have any of you used/own an iPad/iPhone keyboard case? I have recently bought the clam case for iPad (retails at $150) and it is surprisingly not all that great. The keyboard sticks, buttons are small, and it's kind of a pain in the you know where. The thing is though, it's so dang portable. It can flip to 360 degrees, be used as a stand for watching movies, play games, and even type on the virtual keyboard with. It can go in landscape mode with no problem, and when in it's regular stance, acts as a mini little iPad laptop.

Now recently (as in 8 hours ago) I bought the apple keyboard to test it out. I have a late 2011 mbp and love it. The keyboard for this is wireless, so I can also use it for my PC gaming (with, of course, my external display). So I can have a closed laptop. Then again, I will also use it for my iPad with the Clamcase as a stand... that being said, I kind of feel like it's a waste of money. I just bought the PadPivot from amazon, and that was relatively cheap compared to a whopping 150 buckaroos.

Now for the point of the thread, do any of you use an iPad keyboard case?

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I don't have a case, but I was looking at getting this a portable Logitech keyboard.

3. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    I'd first google some reviews, I hear that case Is anything but marginal.

4. Troutmagnet

Troutmagnet Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Be careful when you order that one online...

I bought my Dad a Logitech keyboard case this year for Xmas. Only it's the version for iPad with the surrounding case. It's this one.

You flip the iPad over and it converts into an aluminum hard case that protects the face of the iPad, and when it's in keyboard 'mode' you snap the iPad magnetic edge into a groove just above the keyboard. It's pretty neat.
    I believe it actually might be out of circulation now though (since Factory Direct are selling it), although you may be able to find it on eBay or Amazon. I got mine with an extra year of warranty for $36.
    The only problem I find with this keyboard is that it exposes the rear of the iPad to scratches since you can't use a case or a stand with it. I ended up also buying him a small sleeve to put the entire unit plus keyboard in it as a protector. It's a bit of a workaround for people who are a bit anal about scratches though.

The one you listed, by default, has Windows-centric hot keys, whereas the iPad specific version (there are two very similar models) has the keys dedicated to the iPad. Make sure you get the right one. They're both the same price and look absolutely identical on the packaging other than a small decal saying it's for Mac OS. The difference is that this keyboard is catering to tablets and PC/Macs in general, rather than tailored specifically to the iPad.

Just saying...

Oh, and the keyboard is pretty nice. It feels exactly like an Apple keyboard.

5. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Here's my 4 star review of it on amazon. It's awesome. Case boards are awful because they're too small, and mess the screen up.

6. tsumanshr05

tsumanshr05 New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    iPad keyboard case

Well. there are varities of ipad keyboard cases available in the market. But it is highly important to choose the best among them. Not all the product available in the internet are legit. I was too fooled by many sites. But finally I found a legit site. Whie Shark 3-in-1 wireless bluetooth keyboard with aluminum alloy case is the best in the market. It is simply the best. Durability and reliability are its too important components. Everybody must try it.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Now it's an advertisement thread.

8. IndieApp

IndieApp Member

Jul 11, 2011
    London
    I personally bought the HP Touchpad Wireless Keyboard, it's the only Bluetooth Keyboard that I've used with a build quality similar to what you'd expect from Apple. I managed to nab it cheap when the TouchPad firesale began (£59 down to £19) but I'm sure you can probably still grab one from somewhere :)

9. I use an ihome tripod with a Targus Sleeve as in the attached picture. The tripod is on the right side, the tripod that my ipad is on is a Gameloft Duo Gamer Joystick stand. I don't like cases, prefer a sleeve. A sleeve is good to rest on your lap or chest when laying down so it doesn't did into you. I've been really happy with it so far.

Edit: rereading this thread, it seems about cases for keyboards, so ignore my comments.

Attached Files:

10. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #10 k1lljoy_89, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    I hate all keyboard cases.

Just get the Smart Case and use the bluetooth apple keyboard.

Or use another case of your choice, or no case at all, and go to http://twelvesouth.com where you will find the best stands out there, and just the coolest shit