Multiplayer vs. Playing Against AI

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Jun 14, 2010.

?

I think...

1. all or most games should have multiplayer

14 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. playing against AI is fun and fine

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. it depends on the game or my mood

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I deal with enough people during the day... When I play my games, I'd rather play against AI than another person. Are there any others here who don't care if a game has multiplayer features or not?

2. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    i love multiplayer. its the best thing about games, but i prefer team play over competetive
    theres only very few games that i would rather be single player

3. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I used to care a lot about whether or not a game had multiplayer features before.

I'm going to step out of the 'iPhone' arena for a while to answer this question; having played countless online FPS games for the PC (starting with Quake 2, ending at Team Fortress 2), there was a point in time where I preferred the multiplayer experience over trying out the Single Player campaign. Things started to take a turn for me though, and as I grew older, I enjoyed the richness and effort that goes into a single player experience more than the random nature of online battles.

At this point of time, i've stopped playing TF2, L4D2 and literally any other online game, simply because of the limited amount of time I have. I enjoy the single player variants much more, and because of that, I don't personally care if a game has online features or not (for example: X2 Football on the iPhone).

Bottom line: It's fun if it has the option; am sure other people would agree to disagree, but it's not a decision-maker for me personally.

4. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    For non-campaign mode in most games, definitely multiplayer. I don't like playing against bots in FPSs and strategy games, for example.

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    In 1996 I discovered a little multiplayer game called Diablo. No single player game wthout at least SOME aspect of multiplayer interaction has held my interest for longer than a few days at most since.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    multiplayer ftw.

7. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Sometimes though, in FPSs, it will be just me and my two friends. So, sometimes it seems like it would be more enjoyable with bots.

8. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Same here.

After a few year of playing Quake, Unreal Tournament, and so on, I started to grow tired of pure action / strategy. I like a good story now, and artificial intelligence that doesn't depend on an Internet connection. This is why Elder Scrolls 3 and 4 are two of my favorite games. They're huge, fun, immersive, and completely self-contained. :)

9. Stepping in a different area here:

Multiplayer: Lag, cheaters, more random fun, unpredictable.
    Single player: Less lag, AI can't cheat, predictable.

10. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you like strategy games, the question is way too simple, since, on the one hand, its hard and fairly rare to find acceptable AI, and on the other hand, a LOT of TBS strategy games are designed in a manner that multiplayer takes way longer then I like. So...I prefer *simple* multiplayer games like Galcon, Generals, and Armada, and for more complex strategy games (such as most TBS), I prefer AI, at least when its competent AI. I am not currently playing any TBS on idevice, but that is the way my preferences work.

11. Hobblepot Syndrome

May 18, 2010
    Multi

Multiplayer is better. The game is always different, and your reflexes have to be lightning quick. Multiplayer is much more intense.