Cricket Words Promotion - Free upgrade to ad-free

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by jeremy.provost, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jeremy.provost

jeremy.provost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We're offering a limited time promo for our new word game, Cricket Words.

All you have to do is follow @thinktapwork on Twitter and then tweet the message below and we'll give your Game Center account a free upgrade to be able to play Cricket Words ad-free. We're trying to reward those who help us spread the word.

Here's the message to tweet (along with an easy link to use). Don't forget to replace "[enter your Game Center nickname]" with your actual Game Center nickname. We use that to determine who to grant the upgrade to.

If you have any feedback on the game let us know. Your feedback is really valuable to us.

2. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    OK. We'll make a one-time exception here. Send me a friend request (jeremy.provost) from within Cricket Words, then once I accept start a game with me and I'll get your nickname from there.

Thanks for giving it a try.

3. bunglez

bunglez Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Tree
    UK
    Tweeted. @parkbenchi. bunglez on GC. Good luck with the promotion. :)

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Interested in giving it a try, but why the iOS 5.0 requirement?

5. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Cricket Words is based around playing with friends. It uses Apple's latest turn-based gaming features which are only available on iOS 5. We've been seriously considering adding a single player mode. That feature would be available on iOS 4.

6. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks! We'd love to hear any feedback you might have on the game.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Ok. I've heard other developers say this, but big word turn-based games like Words with Friends and Hanging with Friends were able to use functionality in iOS 4 versions. So I am curious about what the "latest turn-based gaming features" are in iOS 5.

Anyway, I'm on an iPod Touch 2G and will never be able to upgrade to iOS 5 so I'll stick with the many turn-based word games already available for me. But good luck with your game!

8. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Those games basically built their own systems from the ground up. Certainly possible but challenging, time-consuming, and expensive for a small indie developer. In iOS 5 Apple essentially added the means to do this without developers having to reinvent the wheel every time.

We do want to try to reach as many as possible, which is why we're planning on adding a one player mode. We hope to have that in there within a month.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks. Sorry if I sounded like a smartass. But it's certain understandable if iOS 5 made it easier for smaller indies to do multiplayer.

10. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    No problem. We're already pretty far along with the one player game with iOS 4 support. Waiting on Apple to approve our 1.0.1 release before we submit.

11. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Added you in game. Also tweeted you. Some qns:
    Any notification for when it is your turn? How about increasing limit for ongoing games? Any game expiry dates etc for when opponents do not respond? And in-game chat??

Pardon me if there is, maybe I have yet to find it.

12. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Saw this. We've added your Game Center ID into our code. The next release we submit to Apple will have you in there as being ad-free.

Push notifications are enabled through Game Center.

The only limit on the number of games you can play would be imposed by Apple. I've had up to 25 games going at the same time. In our App Store description we say "play against up to three of your friends", but we're referring to how many people can be in a single game, not the number of games you can play at the same time.

Games will automatically be deleted if the opponent doesn't play within 7 days.

In-game chat has been a much requested feature. This is something that we are looking at really hard. There's no doubt we need to get it in there.

Thanks for all the feedback.

13. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Hi all who participated in this promotion. Version 1.0.1 was just released last night by Apple. That update will grant some folks the ad-free upgrade. Today we submitted version 1.1 which includes some big UI changes (with even more to come in 1.2). This update will grant everyone else who participated their ad-free upgrade. Just waiting on Apple to approve it.

Version 1.2 will be a great upgrade. We're making the game backwards compatible to iOS 4.3 and we're including a one-player mode so you can practice your skills before facing off against your friends. We're really excited and we're going to keep the upgrades coming.

14. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    The 1.1 update of Cricket Words was just released last night. Thanks to everyone who participated in the ad-free promotion. Hope you like the UI changes.

We are hoping to submit 1.2 to Apple later this week.