VOID - Space Action RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Squeegy, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
  2. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    That looks amazing! Can't wait!

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Buttons... virtual, but buttons nevertheless :D

4. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Well, it seems like the best way to implement the UI. The great thing about the iPhone is that you can invent your own controller layout.

I would love to hear alternatives to virtual buttons in the context of this game :)

5. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Great, I was pretty happy with the lite version and this looks even better.

6. Zarile3

Zarile3 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    How about making the buttons somewhat transparent. They look terrible the way they are, too bright and big, they take up too much of the screen when they are that bright. If you make them transparent, then it doesn't seem like as much of the screen is taken up. Other than that, I can't view the video because I am at work, but the screenshot looks like it's cool!

7. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Not a bad idea really. I'll play around with in the next update.

8. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Is it out yet? Or are you updating the lite version?

9. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
    A new lite version will be out alongside the full game bringing them equal in terms of features bug fixes.

And it would have been out right now, however I've been bitten by Apple's inconsistent review process. More info info here for those who are interested in these things: http://beautifulpixel.com/2009/3/14/app-store-yes-you-could-but-now-you-cant

10. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    That's too bad. I've been playing the lite version for a while and waiting for the full version. Still looking forward to it, and hopefully it comes out soon.

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    One thing that I'd love to see is the option to toggle the opacity of the virtual buttons.

The game controls great, don't get me wrong...but constantly onscreen buttons, IMHO, are just...well...they're not "elegant".

A better implementation would be either to mimic something like Dropship (not the controls, but rather how they "disappear" when the gamer's thumbs is not touching the screen). That, or, even simpler, option to toggle the opacity.

I mean...I don't need the controls to be that bright onscreen. Others may disagree. For those that fall into the latter group, they can leave the way the controls look as is, but for those gamers who agree with me we can have the option to "dim" the opacity of the buttons.

Of course, it would be even more "elegant" if when decreasing the opacity the buttons don't "dim" but rather become more transparent.

Otherwise, awesome game. I love the lite version, and look forward to getting my hands on the full game.

12. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Ah, Apple approval troubles rear their ugly heads again.

To be somewhat fair to Apple, they get an awful lot of apps for approval across the board, from all the different categories. So they're probably suffering from getting overwhelmed by the high volume, which leads to such inconsistencies.

A good solution would be for them to outsource some of the approval process to an outside. Or limit the amount of submissions they'll accept for review per day/week/month. Or, in terms of the games, buy up a company with extensive experience in handling approvals. Like, say...Sega.

Eh...I can dream(cast), can't I? ;)

13. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
  14. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Yoink.

Love the new screens. And the updated UI from the screenshots looks great. Funny how I didn't think the switching weapons originally implemented in the game was an issue...but just judging from the screens I can tell this will be a lot better.

Can't wait until the full version is out.

15. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    On the buttons could you put symbols that tell the user what they do versus A,B, C ?

Thanks,

Rad

16. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    I just watched the video, Wow!

I hope the controls are easy to use, any tilt used for steering?

What will the launch price be?

17. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
    #17 Squeegy, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
    Well that is explained on the instructions screen from the main menu and the weapons help screen. We tried a lit of different things, but this one seemed to be the easiest and most consistent given the assignment of weapon groups form the hyperspace UI. The old version had a gun blaster icon on it, but there was only one button.

Yep you got it. Horizontal tilt used for steering vertical tilt is unused. I find tilt sesitivity on both axes can be tough to control.

The full version should be out sometime tonight, price will will be $2.99 for the weekend. Then it goes up a bit.

18. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
  19. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Just completed the game. Absolutely loved it. In fact, this may be the first iDevice game I actually finished. Can't say enough good things about it.

Dev, are there any updates in the works to add more to the game? I'd hate for the fun to be over. :(

20. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

I agree. Believe it or not, I love buttons. I am not big in the tilt control type games for the most part. Mainly becuase I play at work and if people see me using my iphone as a steering wheel, they will think I am nuts :p

But making the buttons more transparent would be nice