Casual RPG's

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cowabungadude, Sep 3, 2013.

1. cowabungadude

cowabungadude Member

May 8, 2012
    Any good casual RPG's that are similar to Dungeonism or Dungelot?

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The definition of "casual gaming" escapes me but there are some resonable games for short plays.

Cavern is turn based so not requiring constant attention and has good auto-save system making it suitable for short duration pick up and play; although it can be a long game (like Dungelot).

WazHack is really accessible but difficult so has a high score chasing "one more play" vibe; the mechanics are easy to follow but there can be some depth to the loot/magic/hunger systems.

QuestLord is really accessible and while full of exploration has some simplifications making it easier to toy around with for less serious RPG devotees.

Dungeon Heroes is segmented into levels so more bit sized than many action RPGs.

3. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    The original meaning, which is continually perverted as time goes by, pertains to games that attract people who aren't necessarily interested in gaming as a whole, which is not to say that they shouldn't attract more committed gamers. Sports games were a good example for awhile, insofar as there were a lot of quasi-gamers who only really played sports games and would find other stuff geeky. There are also a lot of MMO players who don't play anything besides MMOs either, so I wouldn't equate casualness to how involved a game is. Also roguelikes are usually a lot harder than your typical 30-hour RPG, so even if some favor short play sessions, they demand a higher skill level from the player.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... It's hard to determine casual games from the others in the mobile department. LOL.

Im thinkin...

Slayin
    Quadropus Rampage
    Dungelot
    Inferno+
    Solomons Boneyard

Maybe? The term casual is too loosely defined right now. :p

5. cowabungadude

cowabungadude Member

May 8, 2012
    Apologies, I suppose casual was too loose a term. Hmm, I guess I'm looking for something with simple controls, loot, upgrades, little story, portrait view. Cavern looks great. Bit Dungeon looks interesting.

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Try 100 Rogues, Dungelot and Cavern Quest. :)

EDIT: oh didnt see dungelot in your OP. LOL

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #7 undeadcow, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    Nameless: The Hackers, Knights of Pen & Paper, and Dungeons & Such seem like the most obvious recommendations to me. If you think bit Dungeon looks good (it is), TowelFight 2 might also interest you. Kingturn also has smooth controls and plays in portrait mode with loot so might also interest you. Gurk III is a great game with simple controls despite some awkward UI that has become a favorite of mine (and just got a 4.5/5 front page review).
    What's a "Cavern Quest"?

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh crap... I meant Cardinal Quest. Ahahaha... My bad.