Article: "Mobile Games Marketing Doesn't Work At All"

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by David Phan, Jun 27, 2012.

1. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
  2. AppRocketeer

AppRocketeer Active Member

May 16, 2012
    iOS App Marketers
    San Francisco, CA
    I was just reading that this morning and we agree completely! It's what we've been trying to say! Traditional PR is just about worthless in the mobile space!

Marketing for mobile games has to be an integrated approach that puts community building first. It's your community that will be your evangelists. Additionally you have to build viral marketing channels into your games, split test the crap out of your app icons and screenshots, and optimize everything from the ground up to promote growth in the game itself, and all of that must be done before you launch!

THEN, You must combine all that with community and press outreach in clear and concise ways that tell your story and highlight your USP above all. The more personal relationships you build in that area the better.

It takes out of the box thinking, creative approaches, and each game is a different beast all-together. That's the kind of marketing we try to offer to all our clients.

3. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    Or you could just release it, and hope your game is amazing enough to catch on and you get lucky!

There have been quite a few games that got released with little fan fare and done really well, but it's rare. (i.e Angry Birds, Doodle Jump)

4. Beginning iOS Dev

Beginning iOS Dev Active Member

Jun 27, 2012
    It seems almost intuitive that spending a lot of money on PR wouldn't particularly make sense for most $0.99 apps out there.

It might make more sense for free to play apps with a well designed IAP system though.

5. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    I just wanted to add my quick 2 cents on mobile games PR is that the blanket statement of "it doesn't work at all" is a bit harsh. It's difficult to quantify the measure of success a PR campaign has, but if it somehow contributes to getting attention for a review/mention on TA or on Apple's New & Noteworthy then those are wins where developers have reported increased downloads and sales.

DP

6. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    #6 RebelBinary, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    I agree, maybe just enough PR to get it noticed by the right people who can start the domino effect of exposure will indirectly fuel an apps sales. But I think the idea of spending loads on PR is a game of diminishing returns.

7. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    The gist "name is important for discoverability, icon doubles your download"

8. worldalpha

worldalpha Active Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Interesting, as this is written from a "big" studio standpoint. For a small studio, I'm sure a good PR campaign is necessary to get the word out.