GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    It runs well on a 4th gen touch. Check the twitter feeds with hashtag #incoboto for non-biased confirmation from the world. :)

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Runs great no slowdown or crashing and really fluidly

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Basically it's a puzzle platformer. Your objective is to find the sun shards (they have another name in the game, but I forget :p) and feed them to your companion star until it's full enough to open up a new sungate to another location.

Saying that, though, is like saying that Super Mario Bros is all about jumping, collecting coins, and moving from left to right. Incoboto is one of those rare games (on any platform) that mesh poetry and gameplay successfully. It also manages to combine humor and melancholy in a way that can only be described as sublime. If it reminds me of anything it's The Little Prince (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince#section_2) by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Visually it's a constant treat and the music is just amazing.

Anyone who is just picking this up: please take the time to read all the messages, gravestones, and notes scattered through the game.

4. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Very well said, I can't really add anything to that. This game will absorb you in a way that is rare in iOS games. Everything (amazing visuals, fluid gameplay, captivating audio) come together in an experience that will touch your heart. Can't think of any more praise to pile on top other than try it for yourself and experience it yourself.

5. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Just so people know:

This game will never be free.
    This game will never be on sale.
    This game will never charge for any goods.

Every penny spent on this game will go directly to ensuring that the next project ('Bemuse') is as awesome as I can possibly make it. It will not be spent on marketing, PR, advertising, or anything else...

...apart from small crates of 'Bottled Awesome' I ship in from a secret location in the Scottish islands known to none but myself and an old toothless man who can only cackle the word 'Meeergh!'. And he's not telling.

6. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Wow. Thanks for that.

I've said this elsewhere, but just so people know:

This game will never be free.
    This game will never be on sale.
    This game will never charge for any goods.

Every penny spent on this game will go directly to ensuring that the next project ('Bemuse') is as awesome as I can possibly make it. It will not be spent on marketing, PR, advertising, or anything else...

...apart from maybe some food.

7. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    What is bemuse?

8. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    The blog is here.

It's only in the concept-phase at the moment, but the aim is to make a game about the telling of dark folk-tales, the discovery of ancient mysteries, the unexpected outcome of ill-considered wishes and, believe it or not demon-summoning.

So, fun for all the (Addams) family, then.

The plan is to involve the community incredibly heavily during its development. Makes work less of a lonely thing for me, and - hopefully - more interesting and rewarding for the rest of you.

9. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Well if you need a beta tester sign me up for it:) would be glad to help a genius because if its anything like this then its gonna be epic

10. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    By the way the character looks like the mascot from the kairosoft games

11. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    FYI? I saw this game for the first time last night... and then became one of your Twitter followers. Whatever you do next, I want to know about it...:D

DBC

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I guess I just have to buy this... :p Thanks SZ! :)

13. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
  14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
  15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    decided to snag this even though I'm broke... =oP
    Hopefully I'll be able to get to the bank before I'm over-drafted... hehe.

Anyway. I'm VERY impressed. I've had the iPad version since it was released and never thought that it would play this well on the smaller screen. Playing through it on my 4th gen touch (INCREDIBLY smoothly I might add...), I can't help but remember why I fell in love with it the first time through. The humor, story, dialogue, physics, puzzles, graphics, music, controls... it's all simply outstanding. I really can't recommend this one enough... and even though I already had it, I'm pretty sure this Mini version might just knock Dream of Pixels out of my #1 spot for favorite game of the week (or even month... and take down some other titles that have come out over the last couple months).

Incoboto is a title that will be remembered as an iOS classic. There's no reason not to check it out.

16. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Yeah, agreed. I am on a very strict budget right now (Grad School + wife/accountant;)), but after seeing the animations for the Sun character, I decided I would "go to the mat" for this one...:eek:

In a sea of mediocre iOS titles (including many that I actually enjoy), I truly hope this one gets the recognition it so richly deserves.

DBC

17. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Yeah, a beautiful little game, this - and genuinely moving as well as being fun to play. Another title that proves you can pack a hell of a lot of atmosphere into a small screen if you only try.

My one problem so far would be I cannot jump the way I would in a regular platformer - running leaps are right out as whenever I do either motion in a hurry it simply doesn't seem to trigger. It's not stopping me from progressing but it is a little frustrating. Could just be me not getting the hang of it quick enough, though. And mister Carter - I really, really appreciate you taking the time to port the game regardless, believe me. This was one of the few games I was jealous of iPad owners over, so a solid port for smaller iOS devices is a fantastic surprise.

18. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    I went to d pad controls works better for me. This game is like what ico was for ps2 just a classic for many people to know. In years to come if they made a list of top iPod/iPad games this would take it up there.

19. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    The never free or on sale part made me buy it
    I'll try to play it tomorrow but I've got a backlog of games.

20. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Heck I bet for 99 cents the game would get tons more downloads.but I bought it the minute it came out