iPhone Infinity Blade: Dungeons [Cancelled]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Well, meaning is determined by usage. If that's how people have come to use the terms, then that's what they mean.

2. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Yes, but that's not the only or even primary determination. First, words can have multiple meanings. Second, just because some people use a word a certain way doesn't mean that's the official definition - "unofficial" usage usually comes from either misunderstanding or intentional misuse so as to change the word into slang or a meme. In this case, it's largely the former, though as I said before, it doesn't really matter because the terms are often interchangeable. I think freemium was chosen as the popular term here because it's more general and widely known. If F2P becomes more popular, it will probably acquire the same stigma. :p

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #683 Ayjona, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Over the past two years, "freemium" has become a common phrase in the MMO PC space for many established gaming publications, from Kotaku and IGN to The Escapist. Sometimes used interchangeably with f2p, sometimes in contrast. If there is a consensus on how to use the terms, this decision certainly hasn't trickled down to the press ;)

Etymologically, freemium seems to describe the principal business model, while f2p seems to denote any kind game that allows users to play for free, regardless of whence the revenue comes (if cometh it does at all). But then, words have an etymological, an official and a practical meaning, and these three rarely coincide in the case of post-2000 phrases ;)

But yes, I definitively agree with you and DaviddesJ on the stigma attached to the freemium moniker, and how it is used in practice. Probably a wise choice to go with f2p, for now, and perhaps forever.

In general, yeah. Among high-profile f2p MMOs and MOs, though (Turbine's DDO and LotRO, LoL, PotBS, Tribes: Ascend, blablaetcetc), the unlocking of content is probably as dominant as expedient progression, and empowerment is scarce or downplayed (or almost nonexistant in the MOBAs and other competitive online games, in order to retain a competitive climate).

4. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Coming from the Asian F2P market, I guess the press I was thinking more of was F2P MMO sites (mmosite, onrpg, mmorpg) - I forget that kotaku and IGN review F2P titles as well.

yeah, seriously

Right, I should have specified F2P MMOs being Eastern (as I was thinking of them). DDO, LotRO (and even WoW) tend to follow a slightly different format than Asian MMOs. Yeah, MOBAs basically fall under the unlockable content type, though on a smaller scale since you're basically just unlocking skins, audio, etc.

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ah, and I forgot entirely about those. They probably know of what they speak better than either Kotaku and IGN, so they are probably a better source of how to use the phrases in practice :)

I have yet to make up my mind if this is one of my favourite or least favourite aspects of linguistics ;)

Hmm, I suppose we of the western MMO inclination often forget asian f2ps. To this day, I have yet to find an asian MMO that has stuck with me (to an even lesser degree than all western MMOs), and thus I tend to overlook that they really pioneered all kinds of f2p and freemium models long before Turbine decided to quadruple some of their their revenue streams by giving away stuff for free (and were probably as surprised as the rest of the technosphere when an idea that might well have been a drunken shenanigan actually worked).

Yeah, unlocking champions/Tribes classes/equivalents (though a primary aspect of Riot Games' and Hi-Rez's business models) is probably the only significant instance of non-visual content unlocks in this genre. But boy, does it + visual customization seem to be enough to make some of these devs a sexy profit.

6. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    It's definitely interesting, but it often drives me crazy and makes me feel like an old man (I'm "only" 41) when I hear some word with a new definition or a word I've never heard of because it's only defined in urbandictionary.com. :p

Yep yep. I was a little shocked but more excited when I heard DDO had increased profits by 500% after switching to F2P - it validated the time I had spent in the F2P industry (which was small in the US at the time) and proved that the F2P business model was officially making it big time in the West.

Who would have thought that aesthetics would be such a hot choice for (male) players? :eek: But it's all about customization with western players.

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Oh geez what did I start? :p

8. 2133

2133 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Student
    Indonesia
    This could make good toilet reading.

9. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Ha, well we gotta do something while waiting more info on the game (nvm working or playing other games). :p

10. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Might as well say it has be cancelled

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im still open for it. If it comes out, id TOFTT like a madman, whatever the cost is... Well, up to 30 bucks at most.

But i wont get my hopes up too high so it doesnt sting much if at all it doesnt get released.

12. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I don't think they'd go as far as to cancel it at this point, considering how much marketing has been done for it and how much of a potential profit there still is to be made. I know if I was on Epic's Board or if I was an investor in IB: Dungeons, I'd be royally pissed off if the CEO or someone else decided to just completely shut down a project that (what I have to assume was a considerable amount of) money had already been sunken into.

It'll probably take a while for it to see the light of day, but we'll see it eventually.

13. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    #694 visionwebs, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    EPIC wasn't developing this game, they outsourced the license to a company which has gone bust so the default stance is game cancelled.

Any shareholders existing that put money into it will more likely be looking at other investments and forgetting about it completely, they are unlikely to give a care unless they put all their money into it... And any one who did put all their money into this alone broke the cardinal unwritten rule of investing... Don't put all your money into one basket :p

14. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Are you sure?

Wasn't Chair acquired by Epic and now they've been released? Twitter page is still active as of 8hrs ago, first I've heard that they've gone bust?

I think a lot of it will be UE4 with the new console cycle to be honest, but that's not fact, that's my opinion.

15. mako_

mako_ Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Can't wait!!! The release date is still unknown?

16. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
  17. Wave_Rider09

Wave_Rider09 Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Noooo!
    Infinity blade is my favourite game and I was really looking forward to it. It should have been released ages ago - it was shown at the iPad 3 release!

Maybe next year:(

18. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Man I got a question.
    Is it ever gonna come out?
    I can't wait now.
    Anyone know about the date or something else?

19. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    you people didn't see this game will never out,so plz stop asking about date...