Question from dev. to players. What is most important to you in a Multiplayer Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by invulse, Apr 22, 2011.

?

What is most important to you in a Multiplayer Game?

1. Ranking System and Stat Tracking System

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Unlockable Items (Integrated with the Ranking System)

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  3. Leaderboards / Achievements (Gamecenter)

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Friend Invite System or Partying System

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Social Media Integration (i.e. Facebook/Twitter)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Integrated Clans/Teams

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. Automated Tournaments

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. invulse

invulse Well-Known Member

We are soon to be announcing our new multiplayer game for iOS, but before we do we would like to hear from the community what they want most in a multiplayer game for the iOS platform? I cannot release details about our game yet (very soon we will) but just please give us general ideas about what is most important to you. What I can tell you is it is NOT a MMO style game, and will featured matches with 4-8 players simultaneously.

Here are some features that are found in many MP games and we want to make sure our focus is where the players want it to be and not necessarily what we think would be most profitable or easiest to integrate (and for simplicity sakes, we want to limit the features to what people will use the most):

- Ranking System and Stat Tracking System
    - Unlockable Items (Integrated with the Ranking System)
    - Leaderboards / Achievements (Gamecenter)
    - Friend Invite System or Partying System
    - Social Media Integration (i.e. Facebook/Twitter)
    - Integrated Clans/Teams
    - Automated Tournaments
    - Something else I've missed (please let me know any other ideas that are important to you).

Hopefully with the communities feedback we can make sure our game caters to the players and not just us developers.

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
    Invulse Games

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    I went leaderboards and achievements but i also would like, Automated Tournaments, Ranking Systems, Unlockable Items, and invite systems.

But mostly in a multiplayer game i expect there to be Game Center integration.

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I think a tournament with clans/teams would be good since it has never been done before. Plus, tournaments would be cool for whoever wins gets a bonus prize or a secret unlockable :)
    BUT the most important thing for an MP game would be ranking system and unlockable items :)

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I really don't think you can call one of these the most important. There's a few of them that are pretty much required if you want a "good" multiplayer game. Rankings, leaderboards, and an invite system/good lobby system makes for a great online game.

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I agree with this 100%! I think the ranking system, friend and party system and game center is required :)

6. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    well.... I actually think gameloft live is better for multiplayer but gamecenter is better for achievements and leaderboards.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Do you mean Gameloft's online servers? Yeah, those are indeed excellent, probably the best servers on the iOS. Gameloft Live is just their friend/achievement system though, but yeah it's a lot more advanced than GC for now.

8. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeh but this dev cant have Gameloft can he?

9. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    what you said
    yea, IK, but if he could set it up similar to gameloft's and use GC only for achievements/leaderboards (IDK if you can).... The online in DA2 is cool, but IDK if it uses GC. If it does, then it is set up awesomely... if it isn't, I suggest copying that style.

10. invulse

I would like to know what you think is set up so well in Doodle Army 2's multiplayer?

Our game will feature Game Center integration, but will not be using Game Center's match making system and will instead be using something similar to how most gameloft games works.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    1) I won't use GC for online gaming due to privacy issues. :mad:
    2) Easy matching with friends and/or random people is a must
    2b) Separate friends and "acquaintances" lists
    2c) Some sort of rating system would be great, even if basic - so I can play against people with similar skill level
    3) Make sure there is a seamless method for dealing with people who drop their connection because they are losing. (i.e. don't interrupt the game or end if appropriate with penalties to people who dropped out.)
    4) You may want to include a way to identify region so you can have less network latency.

I'm not sure why I made this a list, it's Friday and getting late and I want to go home and sleep...

12. invulse

Can I ask what privacy issues you are talking about? In our game, we collect your gamecenter ID and current alias and that is it... and as far as I have seen the game does not really have access to anything else.

13. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    doodle army 2 makes it really easy to get into a game, as does gameloft games. That's mostly it.

14. michery

michery Member

Apr 17, 2011
    These are very important to me:
    Friend Invite System or Partying System
    Integrated Clans/Teams
    Leaderboards and Achievements

15. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Unlockable items.

16. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    What Privacy Issues?

That it sends your name out when you make a request? You can change that name.

17. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Hey. All I want is a good game.

18. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    I think the best thing that one could ask for MP is for a good connection to the server (yes i know it's partly our side as well) and a good security system to prevent hackers from ruining the purpose of a leaderboard .

19. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Personally, I voted other, as in iPhone games, I look for asynchronous multiplayer games. I don't have time to sit around and play for 30 min or longer, I like to take my turn, move on, and check back on the game later.

20. A common chat lobby !