Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    First off, the physics here are very much improved over PHoF. Very happy about that. And they are vastly superior to Zen Pinball and every other pinball game.

Only a few issues. One is I find the lighting effect on the ball to be kind of weird. It makes it look like the ball is distorted. It isn't, it's just the lighting. Anyone else at first think it was distorted? Secondly, I haven't had any luck logging in with Facebook. Is it working for anyone? It just times out. Lastly the process for downloading tables is a little problematic. If your iPad goes to sleep in the middle of downloading it fails. I have to periodically tap the screen to get them downloaded.

Lastly it's a real bummer that there are no GC achievements and leader boards. Facebook is fine I guess once it works, but most of my friends with this game will be on GC, not Facebook.

Still, this game is awesome and isn't to be missed.

Also a question - on iPad the default for bumping is "touchscreen". Err... how do you do that? I switched it to motion and that works well, but would love to know how the touchscreen option works.

Oh, and tutorials for the games are just as great as they were in PHoF.

2. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    What are the chances of the Rollercoaster Tycoon table making it into this game??

3. jeffy777

jeffy777 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Right on about the physics.

GC is coming in a future update.

Facebook login appears to be down. Maybe they're waiting till tomorrow to activate the leaderboards. Not sure, but it worked in the beta version.

4. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I got fb to log in on my iphone4 but it won't do it on my iPad now.

I believe to nudge using touchscreen you swipe the top half or so of the screen. It's tricky but since I'm in bed and my wife is asleep I can't be shaking the thing much... :)

I am loving Black Hole!

5. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    That's right about the nudging, and yes Black Hole rocks!

6. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Where the heck is the IAP menu to purchase all tables?

7. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    Just pick a table and you'll see it.

8. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Yeah, the reflection on the ball is a little out of control. You can really see it if you catch the ball on a flipper and it looks like it's lost half its size because the colour of the edges perfectly matches the playfield around it. Farsight needs to tone down the reflection a bit.

Shake to nudge works pretty well, though I think it could be a little more sensitive, at least on iPad. Maybe a sensitivity slider would be best here.

Apart from that, my only other beef is how the camera swings around to the front of the table to launch a ball. I'd rather see the launch from above, as I would have an easier time gauging my power and I'd have my eye on the ball right from the start of the game.

9. ovalprocess

ovalprocess Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    Southern California
    Really enjoying Arabian Nights so far. Works well on iPad 1st gen. I've never played the real Arabian Nights table, but this is lots of fun. The game is very well designed, and I love the sound design. A really complex game that is a joy to play. I'll be buying some of the other tables, probably starting with Black Hole for $1.99.

10. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Ah, thanks. I was a little hesitant to just punch in my password but, man, I am more than happy to put $10 down for these tables. Brilliant stuff here! Plays great on my iPod 4, and the physics, while a bit bouncier maybe than I expected, still feel really good. The biggest thing is the table design. The flow they have makes all the difference in the world.

I'll be buying everything they put on here without hesitation. Absolutely top notch.

11. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    agreed. Maybe they could make it an option? I agree the ball is tough to see.

12. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    Having played "Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection" for the 360, I'm staggered by just how many voice files were in Tales of the Arabian Nights that weren't in that version. I've only played three games of Tales so far, but every time there was some new voice comment at game start / first ball launch that I'd never heard before.

Nice to see it looks like the 'ten achievement' style (5 Standard goals to unlock 5 Wizard goals) will be intact for this. Harem Multiball, I'll get you yet! :) Hoping for eventual Game Center support for easy Achievement tracking and/or high scores.

I can't judge if the physics are "better," because I'm not savvy enough for that. But they're definitely less 'floaty' and less forgiving for a mostly casual player like myself. Not saying that's a bad thing - it's definitely more realistic, since I can FEEL the ball's desire to fall and drain (just like the arcade!).

It's like they took the Hall of Fame tables, slanted the angle by about ten degrees and said "okay, NOW try it!" I won't be breaking my old highs any time soon ...

Only thing it seems to not have up on the competition at this point is in-game dynamic leaderboards (where you have a list of friends and it updates on-the-fly how close you are to beating your next friend's weekly/overall high). Pinball veterans won't need this, but that's a feature that I think would go a long way in capturing the hearts of the "casual audience."

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Brilliant app. Love the flow of the tables. Just brilliant. Presentation is pretty flawless. Physics are great. The Facebook thing is a bit meh and I think they should do a way better job regarding that weak icon. But minor gripes. The tables rock. Will buy any single one that's coming out in the future.

14. MJFox

MJFox Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vienna, Austria
    #114 MJFox, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    maybe my expectations were to high, but I have to say that I'm disappointed :(

the texture-quality is really bad (playing on an iPad2), most of the text on the table is so blurry that it is almost impossible to read, so you see something blinking and you have no idea what the text is saying

also the leader boards seem to be very rubbish and buggy, I saw a list with just entries named "null", random names popping up where my scores should appear (with an empty-list-label in the middle and my scores missing) etc.

I hope they release an update at least for the leader boards

greetings

MJFox

15. stooney

stooney Well-Known Member

I just got up and downloaded the game first thing.

After playing a couple games of Arabian Nights I must say I am a little disappointed. While it was nice to play AN again, I find the graphics to be only sub-par.

It has been said before here, but my iPad2 is capable of much better images!
    Just look at Zen, OK those are fantasy tables and all, but the crisp and brilliant textures outshine PA all the time!

Multiball with the top-down camera is also almost unplayable, the tiny balls (no pun intended) combined with the kinda lowres graphics are really hard to see and play.

Will testrun the other tables now, but I really hope they will update it with much better textures very soon. Until then, I rather play Zen.

16. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Good game for only $10, but I am pretty sure it was supposed to be $2 a table. Doesn't matter, still top quality besides the blurry images.

17. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    From their facebook page:

"Our server has been completely overloaded! We apologize for problems downloading tables, logging into facebook, and posting high scores onto our leaderboards. We're upgrading our bandwidth and capacity as I type this. We hope to have everything sorted out shortly. Again, we're very sorry for the inconvenience."

"Hey everyone, thanks for your patience tonight. We've upgraded the server and things seem to be running a lot smoother. If you guys like the game, please give us a rating on the App store. The quality rating is really important and we need all the support we can get if our game is going to get noticed......The server is back up and running, but there may now be an issue with leaderboard posting. We'll be in early tomorrow morning to see what may have broken with the server upgrade."

18. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    Some tables are more expensive because of the licensing fees Farsight has to pay depending on the table.

19. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Seems mostly great but the reflections on the ball make it like playing pinball while tracking a Predator. That's a pretty big issue.

20. MJFox

MJFox Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vienna, Austria
    while experimenting with different camera-angels I noticed that the textures are not that bad, they just get very blurry as soon as the camera moves away a little... so it's more of an issue with the graphic-engine than with the quality of the textures

greetings

MJFox