Universal Nubs' Adventure - An exploratory platformer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by IMakeGames, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IMakeGames

IMakeGames Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2013
    #1 IMakeGames, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Hey toucharcade! :)

I'm the developer of Rico (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=183141) and I would like to introduce you to my current game in the making:

Nubs' Adventure

Nubs' Adventure is an exploratory platformer in which you help Nubs rebuild his house after it was destroyed by the evil Reds. But Nubs is not alone! With him on his journey are his friends: the tiny wisp Ally and a huge worm named Brute.

Features:
    1. A big world to freely explore
    2. Take control of the fairy Ally and the worm Brute to solve puzzles or fight enemies
    3. Four regions with different environments, traps and enemies
    4. Lots of puzzles
    5. Boss fights
    6. Compelling story presented through cutscenes
    7. Awesome soundtrack!
    But text is boring, screenshots and GIFs should give you a better idea of what the game is about:

[​IMG]
    Fleeing from a wasp's attack

[​IMG]
    Exploring a cave level

[​IMG]
    A look at a new tileset/sector I'm working on, featuring teleporters, mines and acid pits.

[​IMG]
    A boss battle where you control the worm Brute.

Gfycat videos:
    http://www.gfycat.com/AcrobaticSmallAttwatersprairiechicken
    http://www.gfycat.com/SleepyBossyBlackrussianterrier

I hope to finish Nubs' Adventure in the next few months and release the game for:
    1. iOS (iPhone and iPad)
    2. Android (where there is already an "Early Access" version of the game available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nubs.earlyaccess)
    3. Windows, Mac and Linux
    If you're interested in the game, why not follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/IMakeGames_) for updates? :)

If you want to join the beta-test, just send me a PM with your Testflight-email and I'll send you an invite!

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Spoke to this dev on Twitter and said to make a thread here. Rico is an excellent platformer so im looking forward to this new game

To the dev: what are the controls like ? Similar to Rico? Can you adjust the controls ?

3. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Looks interesting, following

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Holy crap this looks gorgeous!

5. IMakeGames

Mar 25, 2013
    Thanks! :) The controls will be similar to Rico, yes. In my research, 4 onscreen buttons (two directional, one for jumping, one for action) offers a lot of potential while staying easy to control. In addition to Rico, Nubs' Adventure will let you customize the button width because not everybody prefers the same size. :)

6. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Gosh, that pixel art is making me drool. Can't wait for this! Hadn't heard of Rico before but after seeing these screenshots I'll definitely be checking it out!

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah Rico's really good, nice retro style platformer. Well worth picking up. Also its worth picking up as many items as you can as you'll be glad you did later ;)

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Please consider including MFi controller support. :)

9. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Why a jump button?
    Touch the screen to jump and add a customizable width+placement action button. Still surprised to see Devs not using this simple formula!

I always check out the pictures/video in a new thread first. When i saw the third picture, i immediately thought - stolen from Rico...phew, it's the same Dev.

Looking very forward to see more.

PS: check out Rico if you haven't yet (trial version). Due to my app store, this was his first game, and now you'll know what we could expect from his next one. I'm not allowed to get my expectations too sky-high \o/

10. IMakeGames

Mar 25, 2013
    #10 IMakeGames, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    I'm looking into it! I don't have an MFi compatible controller yet so I can't test, but I'll be sure to pick one up ASAP. :)

I'll definitely look into this! For my games, the word "button" is maybe a bit misleading. The whole bottom half the screen is actually divided into four sections: two for directions on the left, each (by default) 2.5 cm (= ~1 inch) wide, and two equally wide on the right for jump and action. If there's still space in the middle (mostly on iPads), it also gets divided between the two inlying "buttons". I've done some analysis (that's the code for playing games for work :D) and found this setup to be the most intuitive. But maybe I'm too accustomed to this scheme already which affects my judgement! Maybe I'll need to do some more "research". ;)

Thank you! :) I hope I won't disappoint! :cool:

11. IMakeGames

Mar 25, 2013
    I've been working away on this little game here, just haven't had anything really noteworthy to post.

Recently, I've been giving the iOS version the proper care it needs. So far, I've managed to make it run stable and with proper framerate on Apple devices dating back to the iPhone 4s, which is as far as I will go. If it runs good there, it should run good on newer hardware. Also, IAP is implemented and integrated into the world. I really liked the old model I had with my last game Rico, where there is a free lite version and a full paid version. The thing I didn't like about it was that things like download numbers, ratings and comments were divided, which isn't good in terms of marketing. Nubs' Adventure will only be one app that's free. Further down in the game, you hit a literal paywall, that you can lower by purchasing a one-time IAP. I hope to get the best of both worlds with this: let players experience the game first, see what it's all about, enabling them to make an informed decision on whether it's a game they like or not... we'll see how that goes! What do you people think about such a monetization model? :)

Another current battle area of mine is support for MFi game controllers. So far, I haven't been too lucky. I'm using LibGDX and RoboVM to build for iOS, but it seems like while the controller support is theoretically implemented, it's not quite working for me. It could be my setup, which is a jailbroken iPad Mini 2, an app called "Controllers for all" and a PS3 controller... other games work well with this setup though... I'll hope to slay that beast soon, as playing with a controller immediately raises the fun level! ;)

In any case, is anybody interested in joining an iOS beta test? I've just submitted a build to Apple and would like people to try it out and get some feedback! :)

12. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Thanks for the info! I would love to join the beta test :) I've sent a PM with my email. Thanks!

13. IMakeGames

Mar 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

14. IMakeGames

Mar 25, 2013
    Yeah!!!! It took a long time, but I can finally say: MFi controllers are working! :)

Here's proof: https://vine.co/v/OlpavzHOi1I

An additional question for you iOS gamers: do you require/need/want customizable button mappings? Or is there a semi-default mapping that most (all?) games do? Like button A for jump, button B for action, X and Y for minimap and pause?

15. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    It's as simple as that - let us customize the placement, the size and the visibility, and you'll never hear anybody moaning about your controls - never.
    Well, responsiveness is another story.

Most games don't offer any of these.

16. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Agreed,"The Other Brothers" failure to allow button changes early on killed any momentem it had because everyone complained about controls

I also sent my email for testing

17. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    No harm in adding customizeable button mappings; glad to hear you have controller support working!

18. IMakeGames

Mar 25, 2013
    Do you know a game that does this perfectly? Or asked differently: in your oppinion, which game offers the best controls and customization? No harm in learning from the best, I think! :)

To all who participate in the beta test: I've sent you your invitation emails a couple hours ago. You may also need to check your spam filter. I really hope you'll enjoy the game and that everything works as intended. :)

There will be a literal IAP wall somewhere down the line. But don't worry, this won't bill you for anything. Beta testers can buy IAPs for free.

19. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    i'm in for beta test.

P.S. best controls: Swordigo, Goblin Sword, Bloo Kid 2.

20. IMakeGames

Mar 25, 2013
    Please send me your email via PM. Thanks, will have a look at these games! :)