Zynga Shuts Down PetVille And 10 Other Titles To Cut Costs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by PlayScreen, Dec 31, 2012.

1. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/30/zynga-shuts-down-petville-fishville-mafia-wars-2/

PetVille – Shut down December 30th
    Mafia Wars 2 - Shut down December 30th
    FishVille – Shut down December 5th
    Vampire Wars – Shut down December 5th
    Treasure Isle – Shut down December 5th
    Indiana Jones Adventure World – Closed to new players, shuts down January 14th
    Mafia Wars Shakedown – Pulled from app stores
    Forestville – Pulled from app stores
    Montopia – Shut down December 21st
    Mojitomo – Pulled from app stores
    Word Scramble Challenge – Pulled from app stores

Interesting. We launched the free game Word Carnivale on iOS just a few weeks ago and it's been growing virally since then. Some players have put in over 20 hours of play in less than a week.

Good timing considering Zynga has pulled Word Scramble Challenge. The difference is that Word Carnivale isn't just another clone of a 'Boggle' game, the play-field changes with every word discovered, a far richer experience than trying to find obscure words on a fixed set of 16 letters (our grid is 25 by the way). It's ad supported, just interstitial ads after you play a round.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWJR3Od8aOo

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Are they closing?

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Anyone whose stupid enough to pay to play these sad excuse for games deserves to lose everything they put in. It's the only way they will learn what a bad idea they are and maybe they'll stop falling for them.

All of them will be shut down sooner or later, it's all about the profit margin.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    As I said on TechCrunch, maybe now Zynga will realise that in order to survive, their games actually need to be good. Quality over quantity. Spend some time coming up with a fresh and innovative game idea, then use your enormous wealth to advertise it and cross your fingers.

5. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Exactly. You can't be so stupid as to put money into a game that is just some knock off from another app. So sad for those young kids playing farmville and all that wasting away all their money.

6. Zynga...original idea....great joke there

7. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    The antonym of originality is Zynga.

8. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Yes, finally! :D

I wish every one at zynga a happy and profitable life with good well paid jobs.

However, the day zynga the business goes bust will be the best day for gamers every where, people will wake up and realise that it's better to put profit into companies that care and more quality titles both Indy and not will pop up from the mists. happy joy joy!

Can't wait.

9. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    May be a wee bit harsh, but I understand. Are you yourself a developer?

And another thing that I hate about Zynga is, is that they aim for quite young children in some of their games. That is ubsurd and upsets me.

10. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Well most games are still there and yes their a bad company for being money grubbers but I'm sure someone will take their spot