We're Butterscotch Shenanigans. Here's some full-frontal honesty on game development.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by bscotchshenani, Jun 15, 2013.

1. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    HEY. TOUCHARCADERS.

We just launched Quadropus Rampage and have been giving a few talks and things in our local game dev community on our process and the results of our previous game, Towelfight 2 : The Monocle of Destiny.

I thought some of you might be interested in these grittier details (including the financial side for TF2).

The presentation is 30 minutes long and is an in-depth look at our assumptions going into Towelfight 2, how those worked out, the sales data, and how we shifted gears for Quadropus (the most notable being our change from pay-up-front to freemium). There's some Q&A after, too.

The interview is about 35 minutes long and is more about Quadropus, our general outlook as a studio, and our thoughts on the appstore and the google play store.

We are a 7 month old studio comprised of two brothers, nestled in St. Louis. We're hoping to learn fast enough that we manage to have a financially successful game under our belts before we run out of savings.

Hopefully this will give you guys more of a look out our side of the story, and if some of you are interested or doing game dev will help you along the way.

If you have thoughts and what not you can drop them here and we'll get to them.

Thanks a bunch!

Seth & Sam Coster
    Butterscotch Shenanigans

2. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #2 mkaen, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    delete

3. AvengedInstinct

AvengedInstinct New Member

Jan 5, 2013
    ^Same. I enjoy y'all's games and am hoping that y'all have breakout success with QR. Towel fight 2 is one of my fav games on ios.

4. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Hey guys, I got both of your games, however both crash on my device. I use a 32 gig itouch running on ios 6.0.1.

Itouch is generation 4

5. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    Yeah on my 8gb iPod touch 4th generation quadropus rampage crashed a ton.

6. ButterscotchSeth

ButterscotchSeth Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 28, 2013
    Yeah, we learned about those crashes upon launch. We think it's an issue within Game Maker Studio (the tool we used to build the game), so we've contacted those guys to see if they can patch it up and send us an update. Until then we'll have to just sit on it! :(

7. Kamil_GoodnightGames

Kamil_GoodnightGames Well-Known Member

May 6, 2013
    New Jersey
    thanks for the share man. this'll definitely shed some light on my own situation just starting up. Good luck to you guys!

8. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Really interesting, thanks for sharing.

9. Toddarooski

Toddarooski New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Nice presentation! I'd be interested in seeing a follow-up with whatever discoveries you made post-Quadropus...

10. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

The thing I have found over the past year from getting to know various developers is how little money is actually being made. From outward appearances (being featured or getting good reviews) I would have guess their sales would have been really strong but then to hear actual numbers is mind blowing.

Always interesting to read about different tactics being used but it seems luck is also involved and that really can't be counted on.