iCade compatibility list/wishlist

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by laxking97, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I say blow them away with variety from the start! You can never predict what someone else will like, vs. what you like.

I would put Silverfish and Dynamite Jack near the top of my own list. Maybe Forget-Me-Not. And Temple Run (not Brave) seems to be a crowd-pleaser: everyone who tries my iCade likes that one.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    @Alextended: Jeff Minter games, especially Gridrunner! ;)

Match Panic doesn't push any technical boundaries, but is a fantastic iCade twitch game. It's cute enough that your sister might like it.

3. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1363 Alextended, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    Hmm, okay, I guess you've convinced me to go for variety, this is what the iCade ready folders look like now (on my iPad2, I'm gonna tell them - without telling them why - to delete the games and apps they don't intend to play again to make room and pass me their iPad2 to then sync with my iTunes after I receive the iCade to set it up)... I've only unlocked Pac-Man and Galaga on Namco's arcade thing iirc, all the games on Midway's (pro-tip: don't go on buying sprees in the early am, ugh). I had a few more in my list too but I removed a few for now, some freebies like Super Lemonade Factory and some seriously disappointing games that soured me like katana Jack, Bomb Jack was so much better it's not even funny.

http://minus.com/mbxar0pAlR8Vfi

I can't really buy more games atm, I need to put more money in my online purchases bank account, I don't want it to get locked again and be unable to get updates and freebies etc. If there are any freebies (but not demos/lites etc) I'd like to know. And suggestions for the future are welcome. But yeah that's it to start with.

Forget-Me-Not looks cool, I should have gotten that instead of the lazy Namco/Midway arcade ports.

Still disappointed with the lack of support, really crazy Crazy Taxi, Apocalypse Max, and tons of others don't support it, and that there are not many retro ports, hoping for Jailbreaks to pop up soon to use that blutrol thing and other emulators.

4. yellowknife

yellowknife Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    @Alextended
    Games I am very fond of, but haven't heard mentioned are:

Super Crate Box: Extremely playable, single screen, survival platformer.
    Retro Racing: Top down racer with simple but addictive gameplay.
    Vectrex Regeneration: My favorite emulator pack right now.
    Blast Soccer: Cross between super crate box and a crazy sports game.
    Space Inversion 2 HD: Great Space Invaders remake.
    Qwak HD: Remake of original Amiga game. Bubble Bobble style gameplay with lots of added elements.

5. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1365 Alextended, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks.

I have Super Crate Box and Muffin Knight too.

Qwak HD looks promising, maybe Retro Racing too.

Blast soccer doesn't seem like something I'd like but I'll suggest it for them later.

Active Soccer actually seems kinda cool though, but maybe not without multiplayer.

What are Vectrex games like? I don't think they'll enjoy too primitive things (I doubt they'll like even any of the Midway and Namco Arcade games but oh well) but on looks alone it doesn't seem as old school, if they play fun and smoothly. And hopefully it's more true to the real deal than the Namco and Midway Arcades.

Also I forgot to say I unlocked Rolling Thunder as well in the Namco arcade. So, three games, Pac-Man, Galaga and that. I never played it but it reminds me of Shinobi from watching the demo which I love so at least I'll be enjoying that.

For Space Invaders likes I was hoping to find some official remake like those they put out on XBLA but there don't seem to be any on iOS. Well, a couple that don't have iCade support. Oh yeah, I guess Velocispider is kind of like Space Invaders.

No good Taito ports as far as I saw either. Well, Bubble Bobble and Puzzle Bubble Bobble (Bust-A-Move) looked nice enough but they don't support iCade afaik. They should let DotEmu port all these old games, it would be amazing to have the likes of Bomb Jack, Rainbow Islands, Ghouls and Ghosts, Garou, Shinobi and a million other greats, with iPad being a very affordable and easy way for people to get their own arcade cabinet style fun, if the ports are as good as Raiden Legacy (I see older DotEmu games aren't, with MS3 not even having official polished iCade support, but hopefully they will patch or at least make new ones good). Although DotEmu shouldn't do those modern graphics menus etc, outside title select and options.

Another annoyance I found is the games that don't have portrait mode for no reason, like Namco's Arcade. I can't wait for Jailbreak to play these games with MAME instead and all its options and more true to the arcade experience.

Are there any good fighting games? Like King of Fighters. Something to use more than a couple buttons basically, lol. I think Soul Calibur supports it but it doesn't seem to be fully featured like the Dreamcast game. But I guess it might be worth getting as a showcase piece, like Metal Slug 3, despite the quite high price of it, if it doesn't drop frames on iPad2.

Any good beat em ups like Streets of Rage, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs? The few indie ones I saw didn't seem interesting.

6. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #1366 Adams Immersive, Dec 28, 2012
    Sounds like a great gift!

Hopefully you've already thought of this, but you can't mix apps from two different iTunes accounts on one device: if you want to gift an app you MUST either gift the app (via gift code) from the App Store, or else, I suppose, you must know their AppleID and password and use them to buy the apps directly to their device (and then reimburse them for the amount charged to their account).

You cannot download an app on your account and then copy it to someone else's device. It will not install.

If you made a mistake and bought those apps for your own account, instead of gifting them, there may be a way out: explain the situation to Apple's App Store support dept. Tell them you wanted to give these apps as gifts, and didn't understand how to do that. They may very well be understanding and give you a refund or a conversion to gift codes in some way. You never know until you ask.

I gave a bunch of apps as gifts myself. When you gift an app, you can either have a download link mailed to the person, or print a PDF "gift card" with a special code, or what I do: make my own card and put the code in it. The recipient goes to Redeem, enters the code, and gets the download. Not as dramatic as pre-loading the apps, but you could make it interesting by giving them a list of codes and not telling them what the codes will give them.

(I'm not aware of a way to gift in-app purchases.)

Worst case, you'll have to re-buy them all as gift codes. But at least you'll also have some great games for yourself as well!

PS: Metal Slug 3 needs a special trick to enable iCade control--see my post above.

7. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    just got my old ipad 2 set up with iMAME - First impressions are WOW it is amazing. Never thought I could turn my ipad into an arcade.

8. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1368 Alextended, Dec 28, 2012
    This is false, me and my brother in law and sister share our (two) accounts and you can easily share the games if you use iTunes on PC instead of just the devices. I'm sure this hasn't changed since I last did it because I did it very recently when I got my account locked and didn't want to miss some freebie offers so I downloaded them with their account and then transferred to my iPad with no problem (we share for convenience, not our money, but "purchasing" freebies is ok).

Edit: actually I did it just today, while re-downloading some games I had deleted and wanted to try again. Here is how.

I download the games on PC iTunes then sync both iPads choosing the games I want on each. If my brother in law buys a game on their iPad I log in with his account on iTunes PC and download it then sync my iPad again. iTunes on PC has no problem archiving apps from multiple accounts, you only have to log in to the one you want to download via its purchase history, other than that it doesn't care what you're logged in as to handle the backups or transfer to and from iPads.

If the apps get an update you can update on your iPad if you have the other account's password, it will automatically ask you to input the password for the account needed for each update rather than require you to manually log out then in then back to the other account or whatever. Or you can handle updating on PC iTunes as well in a similar manner though in that case you have to manually log in to each account to even see if any apps got updates, while on iPad it shows updates for games on both accounts, then asks for the needed passwords when you choose to download them.

You can do a lot of this even if you don't want to fully share accounts (passwords etc) as long as you're going to be handy when the other person wants to update some apps so you can input the password (it doesn't save if it's not the default account on iPad, it's just asked to update the apps tied to that account).

I hope you have use for this now if you really didn't know it's all possible and easy to do before :)

Oh, and Game Center stuff etc are registered to the playing iPad whether the game is owned by a different account or not.

Although now you mention IAP, I'm not sure how that is handled, it may in fact be that those games I unlocked in the arcade apps won't work once I transfer it to their iPad, I will have to test and see how/if it can be solved.

But those are only like ~4 worth anyway and they might not want them either.

9. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1369 Alextended, Dec 28, 2012
    I just watched the various Classic Game Room iCade reviews and now I'm even more hyped for it to arrive. I'll have to eventually get one for myself as well at this rate (but probably a core and only if I can get it for a nice price). It sounds like pure awesome. Make more games developers! He mentions there's no input lag in the hardware review video as well so it definitely depends on the software implementation I guess. Hopefully everyone will work it out.

iCade hardware review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DliJ2-sRYyM&hd=1

Blazing Star review
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VONrnkx2gw&hd=1

Shogun: Rise of the Renegade review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV5O67JT4vw&hd=1

Gridrunner review
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQ3Wzw5-Bs&hd=1

ElectroMaster review
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLJEb0aS6XY&hd=1

Enborn-X review
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPOnU13Y9XA&hd=1

Midway Arcade review
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=94tDp7A3uX4&hd=1

Vectrex Regeneration review
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5aurz1aGWE&hd=1

AirAttack HD review
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfIBSt5nvuo&hd=1

Temple Run review
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjF3aJuRw1A&hd=1

Thanks to these reviews I also found this hidden apparent gem called ElectroMaster and sequel HungryMaster, both are 100% free too. I'll have to get Blazing Star after watching that and maybe GridRunner, they're shmups but very different to Raiden Legacy. Obviously I should have watched all that and more before ordering it but I'm glad to hear it delivers by someone who seems to have the experience and taste to know what he's talking about too.

10. yellowknife

Aug 21, 2010
    @ Alextended

Thanks for those links. That was the best iCade hardware video review I've seen. I also loved the Vectrex Regeneration review. Seeing app + iCade side by side with a real Vectrex was awesome.

11. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #1371 Adams Immersive, Dec 29, 2012
    Ah good! Sounds complicated, and I wouldn’t want to share accounts and synching with someone like that, but I’m glad to know there’s SOME way to do it!

I do like Hungry Master (and to a lesser extent, Electro Master). They’re simple, but they work well, and have a nice sharp retro CRT look, and they’re portrait. I prefer portrait because the cabinet looks a little better that way. (Wouldn’t matter with the iCade Core.)

A couple other good portrait ones: Warblade is a little cheesy-looking (menus especially), but I can get pretty far with it, so it’s fun. (Probably my favorite Galaga-style vertical shmup. Velociraptor is good but it has no iCade auto-fire and the button-mashing gets tiring.) Retro Racing is also portrait, and although it feels nothing like any modern racing game (more like a maze game with momentum?) I really enjoy it.

Lanscape games: Super Mega Worm is good. Super Crossfire is good. Pix’n’Love Rush plays either way, buy not full-screen unless played in landscape. Alien Breed and Beyond Ynth are two I really liked at first play, but haven’t gotten back to yet. Gunman Clive looks awesome but I found it difficult, which could either be good or bad.

12. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1372 Alextended, Dec 29, 2012
    It's really quite simple, if you already use iTunes on PC to keep backups and occasionally purchase through that rather than your idevice then you're already doing most of the process needed. It can be done without password sharing as long as you occasionally can put the different devices on the same laptop/pc iTunes, I just don't mind doing that with family obviously.

There was a mix up with my bank account it seems so I had some more funds available and bought a few more games. This is the current haul I'll be giving them (I've removed a few freebies like Super Lemonade Factory and a few lesser games like Katana Jack since now there's more than enough variety to go around anyway).

2D games:
    Dynamite Jack
    ElectroMaster
    Forget-Me-Not (maybe my sister will like this)
    Gridrunner
    HungryMaster
    League of Evil
    League of Evil 2
    Metal Slug 3
    Random Heroes
    Super Crate Box
    Silverfish Max (maybe my sister will like this since it kind of feels like Snake despite being so different)
    Velocispider

3D games:
    AirAttack HD
    Frogger Decades (for my sister)
    Gunman Clive
    Muffin Knight
    Paper Monsters (for my sister)
    Swordigo
    Temple Run (maybe my sister will like this)

Collections:
    Midway Arcade (all games, kind of regret doing so but at least it's presented better than Namco's)
    Namco Arcade (Pac-Man for my sister, Rolling Thunder and Galaga, but what crap presentation and options)
    Raiden Legacy

That should do for now. I can probably still do without some lesser stuff like Random Heroes but whatever. Hopefully my sister will like a few more of that too. I bought Rayman Run for her also, it's not for iCade but whatever, people say it's pretty good. And NFS: Most Wanted for me/him since it's cheap at the moment and Real Racing 3 will be a while.

I was also told Super Mole Escape has iCade support now, I'll probably get it later alongside Blazing Star and a few others. Hopefully selection and variety will keep improving over time and we'll also get a 6.x.x jailbreak.

But it seems the iCade was shipped very late and now reports ETA January 7th so it will be a while before we play them.

13. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Nice haul!

By the way, Super Lemonade Factory isn’t free—and it’s a good one, from my limited play time.

14. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1374 Alextended, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    It was free when I got it, some of these are games I had tried from before I ever thought of iCade. Swordigo too (that one's free again though). It does seem decent enough, but not so fast paced arcade session friendly.

15. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Jeff Minter’s Super Ox Wars (vertical scrolling shooter) is free right now:
    http://appshopper.com/games/super-ox-wars

It’s great on iCade: portrait orientation, with a choice of auto- or manual fire depending on which red button you choose to use. I usually don’t like a soft-ish look, but for Minter’s “glowing stuff on black” styling, it works.

Plus I think it offers the best retro “attract loop” for the iCade!

16. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    What's the reason why devs do NOT include "iCade support" label (or something like that) in their App Store description?

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think they were advised not to by ION due to strict apple issues

18. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    So currently the only way to know are reviews and forums, right?
    Is there a (un)official omni-comprehensive always-updated list?

19. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    #1379 masvil, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    Thank you for share with us that good selection of videos.

Maybe? Gridrunner is a masterpiece for arcade lovers!

Ahahah she play Blazing Stars with 1 hand :)

Wimp devs announced right now they will add iCade support. It will be a great value for iCade users, Wimp is one of the best iOS game ever.

Same for BSquadron.

For italian readers: iCade € 50 (shipping included)

20. yellowknife

Aug 21, 2010
    We are looking for a volunteer to start a wiki list. There are plenty of fans on this thread that will help fill it in.

Other that whether a game has iCade support, it would also be great to know things like screen orientation, menu support (manipulate menus with iCade), whether virtual controls disappear when iCade detected, button config options present, compatibility with various iCade models.