Kingturn RPG Plus (by Mangobile) - SRPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by undeadcow, Apr 18, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    [​IMG]

The developer, Niebau on Touch Arcade, confirmed that Kingturn Plus will be coming to iOS followed by Kingturn Underworld. Kingturn Plus is a "sequel" to Kingturn and a "remake" of Sword & Earrings (Sw&Ear).
    Source: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2783465&postcount=211

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. nestor

nestor Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks undeadcow! I hope this is released with the same pricing model as Kingturn - $4.99 for the full game.

3. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I can't speak for the developer but all the Kingturn games are $4.89 on Google Play so I anticipate a $4.99 price on iOS; their previous iOS games were all around this point. Kingturn RPG Plus uses a shareware model on Google Play with a free download then IAP unlock.

4. TrexlerRanger

TrexlerRanger Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Very excited for getting the whole series updated and on iOS. So many hours of deep gameplay await...

5. nestor

nestor Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Great! That explains the "freemium" description above then. I got scared for a second! I guess I don't consider a one-time unlock-all IAP game to be freemium. :p

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #6 undeadcow, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    I agree, "shareware" definitely seems a more appropriate and user friendly term.
    +1; I'm also curious what changes occured with the remake. Apparently the developer added new levels focusing on the grimlock shaman, UtaKah, and it appears that Damios is now a mustached character with dual swords (instead of a shield).

7. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    Most likely it will be only 3.99$ for iOS.
    Kingturn Plus is our only IAP version on Google Play, and we have a kind of long-time discount for Kingturn Plus at 3.99$.
    As mentioned earlier, we want to offer the same prices for iOS and Android (as far as this is possible with Apple's tier system).

Kingturn Plus has no Prologue campaign, so unlocking the full version works slightly different compared to Kingturn (main).
    The first 8 scenarios of the main campaign are free to play, and all remaining scenarios can be unlocked with a one-time inapp-purchase.

8. amos38

amos38 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Very, very good news! Kingturn has been my favorite game this year. Can't wait to see some more SRPG goodness coming down the pipe :)

9. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    That's a good point. With all these virtual goods models out there, we shouldn't use the term freemium any longer.

Anyway, no worries. We will certainly not jump on the 'money-for-coins' wagon.
    We will sell your personal data instead.
    Just kidding :).

10. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    You guys have plenty of honour - I'd trust you with my g/f and my personal data ! Lol.

Awesome thread Undeadcow my man. I shall dwell here often until the game is ready !

11. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Great news! Thanks! :)

12. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Makes a lot of sense. To avoid any confusion, I've changed the term 'freemium' to 'shareware' already on Google Play.
    Would be nice if you could do the same in your initial post, undeadcow.
    Many thanks for the post, by the way :).

That's very kind of you to say.
    Fortunately I'm too much of an IT nerd anyway. I wouldn't even know what to do with all these data :).

13. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Great news! Thanks, Niebau! Now that I have played Kingturn, it would have been difficult to go back to SW&Ear in it's current iOS implementation.

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #14 undeadcow, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    I'm surprised this upcoming thread even got mentioned on the front page; that's what I call momentum.
    Any unfortunate and inaccurate reference to the accursed freemium model (which definitely does not apply to Kingturn) have been eradicated as far as I can tell. Now back to playing (just) Kingturn.

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    "Freemium" does technically describe any product where you get to try it for free and can pay for more than the free version.

16. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I acknowledge your statement that technically "freemium" refers to free downloads that require additional purchase for added functions; but counter with the point that culturally the term "freemium" has come to imply the insidious practice of requiring users continuously pay real world currency for limited one time use items that become increasingly necessary to overcome unreasonable difficulty spikes. If anything we may need a bigger vocabulary to encapsule all the different variants of the freemium model. Kingturn just requires users purchase the produce by in-app purchase instead of up front but like most "premium" titles there's only a one time purchase possible so it doesn't "nickel and dime" users with gradually increasing requests for money or other such practices of those titles many have come to associate with the term "freemium."

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'm not sure that's true in the internet culture at large. I think it's primarily come to mean that on forums like TA where people regularly fulminate against it. If you asked random members of the public I am not sure they would say quite the same thing.

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #18 undeadcow, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    We agree that the culture on this forum, and perhaps only Touch Arcade, associates freemium with predatory business practices so therefore it's appropriate to avoid the misleading label of freemium in this context (since discussion is occuring in the freemium-biased environment where the model is not understood). It's been some time since I gamed on consoles or PC but I am not sure freemium is a household term and my perhaps inaccurate perception is that it's use is fairly limited to mobile gaming. I'm really not totally sure how the term "freemium" became taken out of context or how far reaching that it; just that those negative impressions are not accurate to the implementation in Kingturn.

19. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    deleted

(I don't agree but there's no point in continuing the argument)

20. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Precisely so. Using the term 'Freemium' is technically absolutely correct for Kingturn's unlock model. That's why we have never given it a second thought so far.

However, I think undeadcow has a valid point.
    While I can't say much about the general perception of the term 'freemium', it certainly leaves some room for interpretation (virtual goods, unlocking full version, disabling advertising for money).

The same could be said about the term 'shareware', of course (unlocking full version, disabling annoying pop up windows for money), but I haven't seen it being used in a context of virtual goods so far.

Now, I'm not saying that all virtual goods models are 'evil'. Actually I know a few which I would consider as rather fair.
    However, there is also this very disturbing trend of freemium models that are clearly aimed at just squeezing out as much money out of players as possible.

So if there is any chance (however small) to distinguish ourselves from such business practices, e.g. by using the word 'shareware' instead of 'freemium', I'll gladly take it.