apple developer licenses, where to start

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by soggy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Hi I've recently decided to try my hand at the application developing business, i'm not expecting to make any money, but i was thinking of using it as my school programming project. i've worked in C and done various projects in visual basic. As i'm not planning on making any money for a long time would it be better to opt for the free apple developer license, what are the limitations of this? i expect the recommendation for a free engine would be unity, any other suggestions? also if i develop an app then want to distribute it, is it possible for me to change licenses and distribute the app via itunes?,
    thanks.

2. touchDev192

touchDev192 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Hi there!

Ok so here's how it works, basically you can sign up for the free program to enable you to download the sdk and create a game, and be able to test in the simulator. But if you want to actually submit the game to the itunes app store, then you need to sign up for the paid developer program, which allows you to test on a device, and submit to the store. This will cost $100, or £60 in the UK. Hopefully I've explained that ok, im not always great at explaining things!! lol, so feel free to ask any questions!

Also the engine would depend on what sort of game you're making. I would recommend Cocos2D if its a 2D game, but there are plenty to chose from.

3. GnarKill

GnarKill Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    UI Engineer
    Bay Area
    The questions to ask yourself is do you 1. want to test on your device and 2. do you need accel/gyro input. if you answered no to both just grab the free sdk, else pay the 100$. when paying the 100$ you do get acess to the dev forums on apple.com, WWDC videos, and a few other things.

4. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Cheers, got the free sdk for now, I think I'll be going with cocoas to start with.

5. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Quick question: am I right saying that no matter which engine is used, the program is all put together in the sdk editor that you download from apple? Also, how is "sio2" or whatever it's called (free 3d engine)?