How best to build excitement for my upcoming game!! QuakeBuilder

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by draper3000, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draper3000

draper3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Video Editor and part time app designer...
    Staines, UK,
    My first post on the forum. (been a lurker up till now :)

Ok, after some success with some simple apps, I've spent the past 2 months working on my first game 'Quake Builder'. I've been spending each night after a full time job coming home creating graphics, animation, tonnes of code, testing, creating sound fx, purchasing licenced music and more testing.

Oh also am now the father of our first baby, who is now 10 weeks old, started making apps during my partenity leave.

Quake Builder
    It uses real world physics, its a tough puzzle game. It needs a gamer to play, a good design eye to complete and a true architectural genius to master.

90% of the game is complete, with 13 of 20 levels finished. Plus need to create a special final unlockable level or feature.

I'm trying to decide whether to release some preview videos now, perhaps a making of video before its proper release.

Also should I create free (lite) version, and if so what works best, releasing the paid version first for a couple of weeks, then the free one, or vice versa or both at the same time.

May also be on the hunt for a few beta testers in a couple of weeks.

Expect some in game still soon....

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #2 drelbs, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
    Congrats on the new baby! Hope you got lots of sleep before they were born. :)

Best way to promo here is to start a Quakebuilder thread in the Upcoming apps section: sprinkle screenshots/whatever there, answer questions/etc. (You kindof just did. ;))

Get yourself an avatar and apply for the developer-only section of TA.

Ping people here for beta testers and suggestions, TA'ers are a great bunch. (*Raises hand to denote I beta test, and love physics games*)

At release make a new thread in the regular games section. Use the APPINFO tag and be sure to have a video or two on YouTube so you can imbed it.

At or near release run some sort of contest for codes - something silly/interesting to keep the thread alive and the game's name fresh in people's mind.

Get yourself set up on Twitter and/or Facebook. Put links in your signature block.

I'm sure others can cover the things I've missed, and will let developers talk about success of lite/paid version release timing. (IMHO I'd have a lite out at the same time if possible, but quite frankly a video sells me more often than a lite version - show actual gameplay music and sound!)

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    A good gameplay video is a must. Definitely get it ready before the game is released.

4. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    Yea it would be best to post a video of the game in action, and pictures are always a plus. I love challenging puzzle games. Hope to be a beta tester if you need any. Gratz on the baby :)

5. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    cool...

cheers for the speedy replies....

ok expect some teaser pics created over the next few days....

and thanks for the congrats on the little monster.... She's actually sleeping sort of ok now, a good 4 hours now and then... I think we are over the initial worst batch of little sleep... currently doing my evening shift, give her a bottle, then 20 minutes on a play mat (where I can do a bit on the app or errr....this...). then feed a tiny bit more, then put her down. Another 30 mins on the game before I try and get some sleep..... oh the joys of fatherhood mixed with game creation.

Gonna see if I can quickly put together a new 'QuakeBuilder' thread with the title screen up for people to see.

Cheers again for the super quick feedback...

6. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    You make me want to buy this already, just to make it worth your time....:)

7. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
  8. aznriceboi13

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    looks nice, is the timer for how fast you can cause the building to fall, and is the only way to make the blocks fall is through shaking?

9. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    no the timer is how long your building/tower/structure has to stay standing,

you shake your iphone/ipod to start the predefined quake.

The size of the quake is told by the 'magnitude' number in the bottom left,

Each level limit you to certain blocks, and land.

and before each level you get an intro slide, with a small hint at how to complete the level.

The first ten levels are quite easy slowly getting a bit tricky, then the next ten are quite taxing on the old grey matterr.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hehe, I used to cradle my daughter/bottle feed her with one arm/hand and play Flight Control. :) Nowadays if I have my iPod out she wants to play with it (usually Sound Shaker/AWazDat.) Right now everything is a phone to her, so I usually put the phone part of Baby Apps on to let her dial/call people. :)

11. aznriceboi13

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    ah so you must build a sturdy building to last a certain amount of time after the quake has started? and i'm guessin you have to be above the target line after the timer ends

12. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    one day, one day....

and now i feel the need to play flight control....thoguh currently having problems getting our wee sweet monster to sleep....hmmm...and i think its passed time too....right best hand over to the wife...

hmmm...maybe i can get my wife to carry on working on my game too... :confused:

13. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    pretty much it....

you build first,

then activate the quake

then if your building stays above the target line after timer ends, you have succeeded the level.... can get very tricky, especially using some circles...but its all possible.. :)

What do you think of the idea?

14. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Megan Fox.

15. aznriceboi13

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    building w/ a twist, i like
    circles, what a twist are there anymore shapes?

16. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    yes there are other shapes... also different physics...

bouncy ones, ones that count down and explode when touched.

Tall ones,which rotate with multitouch, and some that don't.

Big and small...

17. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    ok, video is ready... :)

Many thanks for everyones advice.

Im about to do a proper 'Quake Builder' forum post.

But to finish this thread off.

here is a link to my first video of the gameplay for Quake Builder

hope you like what you see (he says scared to teeth that maybe it's terrible )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbbMYrLkVY

:confused:

18. i like music! ive never seen a game about quake building, its unique and it looks fun! also loved the " made by a new dady.." in between feeding the beautiful monster" haha lovely! youve got a good sense of humor :D goodluck.

19. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    What about sending screenshots and videos to review sites?

20. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    thanks for all the advice..it is now out and about...

Good evening...

Well Quake Builder hit the app store today....

I've spent the day (in between being at work and looking after the beautiful monster) sending out promo codes, and sorting out videos for youtube.

Search for 'quake builder' on youtube to see the 2 different ones....A new one is on its way tonight. After a few people suggested it today on Touch Arcade I've put together a home made 8 minute walk through video. Me, my iphone and a video camera...hopefully it will help add some more appeal to the game...

Any other sites people wold recommend either getting reviews on, or possibly paying to advertise...

oh...almost forgot...link to the game.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quake-builder/id355345146?mt=8