lesson learned

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mek, Oct 6, 2008.

1. mek

mek Well-Known Member

I've been pulling my hair out for about two weeks finishing up the development on my new app...but there was one problem...it had a syntax error

I spent those last two weeks, rewriting the program, completly stumped because i fixed the syntax error logically, but it still existed

the fix: close xcode, close the simulator, and restart the SDK....and viola it magically fixed the syntax error

apparently it was still running off a buffer in the simulator and would not update the new code

so for all you programmers out there, stuck on a problem, put it down, turn off your machine, take a walk, and come back to it, and it may just be fixed

2. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I do a lot of work on Logic Pro and Final Cut. I've found that %90 of problems on a Mac can be solved by restarting the whole thing or even just closing the program and opening it again. The power button has become my magic fax all button.

3. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Canada, ON
    whats your app mek ? : D

4. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I took a semester of computer science in high school. basically all I learned was how to copy code from smart people.... haha
    I dropped the class as soon as I had enough credits to graduate.

I gotta hand it to you guys. I wish I had the patience to stick with it.

5. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i'll post some screen shots as soon as I submit it to apple, which hopefully will be by Friday

im more of a graphics person than a programmer, so the programming is def. challenging..but im picking it up..today now that i have the interface coded and working smoothly, i will build the graphics for it - the fun part

ive never programmed on a mac before, well before august 27th, and the OS is great, never crashes like a windows machine...i guess there are advantages and disadvantages to that...

6. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    Good luck with your app. I hope it does really well.

7. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Is this a game we are talking about?

8. kwigbo

kwigbo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Flex/iPhone developer
    I have wasted hours because of what you speak of. Now whenever errors don't go away and I think they should I always restart.

9. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Yes, I've encountered this a lot. Another thing to watch out for when you get to the final build stage is to make sure you restart XCode after changing build profiles as it seems to get confused frequently and easily, especially when you're changing certificates etc.